Varners Comments/Soundoff

Each sides fans take these things to far. The athletes are out there having fun and competing. neither one is a bad sport. everybody just needs to get over it and just enjoy the product on the mat and not worry about another teams wrestler.

Agreed. I have no problem with Metcalf. Great wrestler. Just sticking up for my boy Varner here!! And TRYING to put things in perspective ;)

UNI on the front cover????? another national championship another bball story on front page. i know its a big win but in the end they are in the sweet 16 and i don't see any trophies for getting that far maybe a fancy banner to put up in the gym but no hardware. this whole weekend was frustrating for me

If you owned a newspaper and had to put on the front page the one thing that the majority of the readers wanted to see, what would you put? Iowa winning #23, OR UNI knocking off the #1 seed in the whole tournament? Everyone across the whole country is talking about UNI so everyone everywhere cares. That's just the way it is and that's not going to change so don't take it personally everytime something gets more play than wrestling.

Agreed. I have no problem with Metcalf. Great wrestler. Just sticking up for my boy Varner here!! And TRYING to put things in perspective ;)

Agreed: Both Hawks & Cyclones are very passionate about their wrestling and with good reason! The thing that surprised me was bringing the whole Gable reference into the mix. Varner has to be aware of Gable and his accomplishments. Gable will always be in a class all by himself. Cael had an unprescented (spelling?) college career, but I still don't put him in the same category as Gable. . . There will never be another Dan Gable - period.

Here is your problem. You are a cyclone fan. You root for insignificant teams that will never ever win any title of any sort. Your football stadium is small and looks like a soviet era concrete bloc housing. THe rest of the country views your school as a midmajor at best. 99% of sports fans around the country couldn't state the name of the town ISU is in, your mascot or who any of your coaches are. Your school struggles for money in sports and relies on Hawkeye donors for a big portion of your booster funding. Your school has a paltry sports budget and it never will achieve enough to be considered a bigtime sports school in any sport. You want to be one of the big boys but you never will. Your alumni base will never have the income base that Iowa,s does. Engineers (of which Iowa has nearly as good a college of engineering as does ISU) just are not as abundant and DOctors, Lawyers and dentists and their income level . You are a land grant Farmer School. A good tailgate day in AMes is considered when another parking spot for a RAGBRAI bus is found and there are enough beer bongs to go around. Meanwhile after the game everyone and their cousin (wife?) try to cram into the only decent food establishment in Story county named Hickory Park. You are ISU remember that. You will NEVER EVER have the status of Iowa. You don't have the money and your never had any inkling of tradition. I savor the day when the big 12 get busted up. Your clones will be left out in the cold cause NOBODY takes you and your paltry fanbase seriously. If NEbby comes to the big 10 then you guys will only have one profitable home game EVERY OTHER YEAR in football. Stinks to be you!

Just as an aside, and I enjoyed your diatribe btw...no one outside of Iowa really cares about Iowa State or Iowa unless they are alums. Both schools are seen in the same "corn class" of schools by outsiders and both are often confused for other schools.

FWIW, Metcalf's gesture at the Nat'l duals wasn't directed at ISU, he was facing his coaches. Varner's gestures were blatantly directed at the Iowa coaching staff.

Metcalf is hated for the way he competes. Varner is hated for being a tool.

Let Varner run his mouth...just remember the following:

If he takes a shot at Gable's career as a wrestler, it's not a shot at Iowa. It's a shot at Gable. If it's a shot at Gable as a wrestler, and a shot a school by extension, let us all remember where Dan the Man wrestled in college - Iowa State.

Varner has yet to compete at the Olympic level. Let's see if he can match Dan there, and not give up a single point enroute to a gold medal. (Not likely).

I was happy to see Varner get a title - made for a nice night for the HAWKEYE state to have Iowa win three of five, take the team title, the women to beat Vivian Stringer's Rutgers club in hoops, ISU get a pair of title winners and UNI to beat KU.

Varner is a heck of a wrestler, with a ton of skill on the mat. He needs a little more between the ears, but he is a great athlete.

Here is your problem. You are a cyclone fan. You root for insignificant teams that will never ever win any title of any sort. Your football stadium is small and looks like a soviet era concrete bloc housing. THe rest of the country views your school as a midmajor at best. 99% of sports fans around the country couldn't state the name of the town ISU is in, your mascot or who any of your coaches are. Your school struggles for money in sports and relies on Hawkeye donors for a big portion of your booster funding. Your school has a paltry sports budget and it never will achieve enough to be considered a bigtime sports school in any sport. You want to be one of the big boys but you never will. Your alumni base will never have the income base that Iowa,s does. Engineers (of which Iowa has nearly as good a college of engineering as does ISU) just are not as abundant and DOctors, Lawyers and dentists and their income level . You are a land grant Farmer School. A good tailgate day in AMes is considered when another parking spot for a RAGBRAI bus is found and there are enough beer bongs to go around. Meanwhile after the game everyone and their cousin (wife?) try to cram into the only decent food establishment in Story county named Hickory Park. You are ISU remember that. You will NEVER EVER have the status of Iowa. You don't have the money and your never had any inkling of tradition. I savor the day when the big 12 get busted up. Your clones will be left out in the cold cause NOBODY takes you and your paltry fanbase seriously. If NEbby comes to the big 10 then you guys will only have one profitable home game EVERY OTHER YEAR in football. Stinks to be you!

Disagree Ozhawk: Great Plains Pizza in Ames is in a league of its own.

not taking away his wrestling skills just don't think he gives a crap i just found it rude. theres a difference between rivalry and metcalfs actions and there is another making a comment about a legend. joking or not how do we know? from what i see he is pretty high on himself. congrats to him and z. hope to god he doesn't get the hodge trophy is all

i understand the uni thing was big real big and the national spot light is on them. curious on the amount of ppl who attended the uni bball game and how many attended the 3 day wrestling tournament

not taking away his wrestling skills just don't think he gives a crap i just found it rude. theres a difference between rivalry and metcalfs actions and there is another making a comment about a legend. joking or not how do we know? from what i see he is pretty high on himself. congrats to him and z. hope to god he doesn't get the hodge trophy is all

i understand the uni thing was big real big and the national spot light is on them. curious on the amount of ppl who attended the uni bball game and how many attended the 3 day wrestling tournament

Common sense? Being able to read an individual?

I am pretty sure that Varner knows that Gable is a legend. After all he is wrestling at the same school Gable did.

if metcalf said something like this can you imagine the outrage on themat.com?

varner getting of easy i think

Slam!!!! Love it!

So what do you say about Metcalf? For all Varner has done (although this was an obvious joke to everyone but you) Metcalf has without a doubt been a worse sport than Varner. This can't even be argued (logically of course)

I assume you are referring to the Caldwell incident from nationals?

FYI, there were 1.2 seconds remaining on the clock when he pushed him.

Outside of that, I really cannot think of a single thing he has done that is non-sportsmanlike.

Name me one time Metcalf mocked the other team or the coaching staff after winning a match. Show me video proof.

I have some of Varner if you need a point of reference.

Sorry, but Jake Varner - while a great wrestler - is not the kind of person I would want my child to be like.

If you win, you win. Be humble.

Metcalf has always been humble. High strung, yes. But humble and always talking about what he needs to do to improve and help his team.

With that, the defense rests.

I assume you are referring to the Caldwell incident from nationals?

FYI, there were 1.2 seconds remaining on the clock when he pushed him.

Outside of that, I really cannot think of a single thing he has done that is non-sportsmanlike.

Name me one time Metcalf mocked the other team or the coaching staff after winning a match. Show me video proof.

I have some of Varner if you need a point of reference.

Sorry, but Jake Varner - while a great wrestler - is not the kind of person I would want my child to be like.

If you win, you win. Be humble.

Metcalf has always been humble. High strung, yes. But humble and always talking about what he needs to do to improve and help his team.

With that, the defense rests.

Well in light of this new evidence, the jury must find the defendant not guilty on the charge off being a gigantic d-bag like his ketchup and mustard counterpart.

So what do you say about Metcalf? For all Varner has done (although this was an obvious joke to everyone but you) Metcalf has without a doubt been a worse sport than Varner. This can't even be argued (logically of course)

Um excuse me can't be argued....i would like to know wtf you are smoking...

Here is your problem. Why are you guys having such a problem landing a basketball coach? Why can't you take understand Varner was being scarcastic? Varner and Z are act like fools? In all my years I have watched sports I have never seen anyone in a position of Brands act like a sixteeen year old. People don't hate you in westling because their good. they hate Iowa because of the way they act. You will never be Ohio State in football. You will never be Penn State in football. You will never be Michigan in football. You are have no more tradition in that sport than michigan state or wisconsin. You should have a strong team in football next year, however you will all show your true colors when Kirk has a 7-5 season. You may have one of the best coaches in college football, but you will never win the national title. That's all I here from you dumbshits every year. Try and win the conference first. You have more fans, and I think it's great. Half of your fan base has never even been to Iowa City and are T-shirt fans. Have a nice day fag!

lol he brings in the problem landing a basketball coach!!

o and the 'fag' comment! pump up your shirt if that makes you feel good bout yourself but we do have tradition of those schools its posted all over the internet.

Here are some interesting statistics from the College Football Data Warehouse (Jon Miller, for statistics freaks like you, this is a must read if you haven't discovered it already):

1. Iowa is #22 all-time nationally in bowl wins (a tremendous record considering the Big Ten did not open up to multiple bowls until the 1970s).

2. For schools that have played in at least 20 bowl games, Iowa's bowl winning percentage is even more impressive: Iowa's 13-10-1 record places it 13th all-time in bowl winning percentage!!!

Iowa nationally is a Top 15 program no matter how you slice it, with all but 2 of those bowl wins coming during the Fry-Ferentz era, which is really the golden age of Iowa football (a tremendous 31 year run).

iowa isn't gonna go out an hire whoever is doing the best right now this will be a process to make sure its the right one.

only coaches your school can get are ones that have coached in this state or are from here

Latest posts