Varners Comments/Soundoff

pin2win

@hagertony
did anybody else see his press conference bashing dan gable about how HE is better because he has two titles? this was completly uncalled for and this guy is just a piece of crap. I was outraged with his whole conference.

anybody watch soundoff last night? could they of bashed on wrestlers anymore about their presence dealing with media? wrestlers don't care if they look pretty on tv. the way iowa wrestlers talk about the sport is great and bball players have half the love for their sport. Not happy with soundoff last night

UNI on the front cover????? another national championship another bball story on front page. i know its a big win but in the end they are in the sweet 16 and i don't see any trophies for getting that far maybe a fancy banner to put up in the gym but no hardware. this whole weekend was frustrating for me

Basketball is going to be a bigger story everytime simply due to the much larger following. Wrestling is simply not a mainstream sport. That isn't to take anything away from the sport.

Varner is a tool. It never surprises me that he says something idiotic. I am so glad he is gone now.

As for wrestling getting slighted, we are pretty used to that by now, right?

did anybody else see his press conference bashing dan gable about how HE is better because he has two titles? this was completly uncalled for and this guy is just a piece of crap. I was outraged with his whole conference.

anybody watch soundoff last night? could they of bashed on wrestlers anymore about their presence dealing with media? wrestlers don't care if they look pretty on tv. the way iowa wrestlers talk about the sport is great and bball players have half the love for their sport. Not happy with soundoff last night

UNI on the front cover????? another national championship another bball story on front page. i know its a big win but in the end they are in the sweet 16 and i don't see any trophies for getting that far maybe a fancy banner to put up in the gym but no hardware. this whole weekend was frustrating for me

Both Varner and Zabriske are total Jerks. They are an embarassment to the state of Iowa. Its a good thing that neither of them are real Iowans. Varner was stalling like a mad man. He should have been penalized. If Varner wouldve had the same ref that did the borschel match he wouldve gotten a point taken away. he was avoiding tie up for the last half of the 3rd period.

“We have the same amount of titles, I just made it to the finals more time" had to see the way he said it though

“We have the same amount of titles, I just made it to the finals more time" had to see the way he said it though

Of course he made it to the finals more times, freshmen weren't allowed to compete when Gable wrestled or he would have probably won 3 titles (1 more than Varner) and been a finalist 4 times like Varner.

Not only is this a ignorant statement on his part, but he doesn't even know the history of why Gable didn't participate as a freshman and for a sport he loves he should have known why Gable only had 1 loss in his career but yet only wrestled in 3 finals.

He isn't the brightest, simple math would have told him, 3 finals and 2 titles = 1 loss in one of the finals. Well Gable only had 1 loss in his career, so that means he didn't compete as a freshman because if he didn't make the finals as a freshman that would mean he would have a minimum of 2 losses.

I watched the press conference on flo. Varner said it tounge in cheek. He was giggling after he said it. Not a big deal. I agree that Jake has done some dumb things but this is not one of them. He had just won a national title and was making a small joke. Give the guy a break.

Haha you guys are fantastic! You guys hate Varner but love Metcalf. Do you think that it has more to do with the fact that you guys hate ISU and love Iowa?

just don't think he should poke fun at the guy who keeps college wrestling alive. don't see him metcalf joking about that.

i'd give him a break but he has done crap like this all year and for his career

I don't hate Varner. He had an awesome career - 4x finalist, 2x champ = congratulations. But many times, people are remembered by the negative things they have done. . . like slamming a legend like Dan Gable. Gable put wrestling on the map. He almost singlehandedly has helped shape the state of wrestling in the USA to where it is today, through his accomplishments as a competitor, coach and now the sports #1 advocate. Now when I think of Varner down the road, my view of him will be slanted by his antics outside of the ring.

As far as loving Metcalf & hating Varner. . . I would love any wrestler from any team, who after they had just won a national championship gives almost everyone around him, but himself credit for his own accomplishment.

just don't think he should poke fun at the guy who keeps college wrestling alive. don't see him metcalf joking about that.

i'd give him a break but he has done crap like this all year and for his career

So what do you say about Metcalf? For all Varner has done (although this was an obvious joke to everyone but you) Metcalf has without a doubt been a worse sport than Varner. This can't even be argued (logically of course)

So what do you say about Metcalf? For all Varner has done (although this was an obvious joke to everyone but you) Metcalf has without a doubt been a worse sport than Varner. This can't even be argued (logically of course)

How do you figure. . .??? This I gotta hear. . .

Here is your problem. You are a cyclone fan. You root for insignificant teams that will never ever win any title of any sort. Your football stadium is small and looks like a soviet era concrete bloc housing. THe rest of the country views your school as a midmajor at best. 99% of sports fans around the country couldn't state the name of the town ISU is in, your mascot or who any of your coaches are. Your school struggles for money in sports and relies on Hawkeye donors for a big portion of your booster funding. Your school has a paltry sports budget and it never will achieve enough to be considered a bigtime sports school in any sport. You want to be one of the big boys but you never will. Your alumni base will never have the income base that Iowa,s does. Engineers (of which Iowa has nearly as good a college of engineering as does ISU) just are not as abundant and DOctors, Lawyers and dentists and their income level . You are a land grant Farmer School. A good tailgate day in AMes is considered when another parking spot for a RAGBRAI bus is found and there are enough beer bongs to go around. Meanwhile after the game everyone and their cousin (wife?) try to cram into the only decent food establishment in Story county named Hickory Park. You are ISU remember that. You will NEVER EVER have the status of Iowa. You don't have the money and your never had any inkling of tradition. I savor the day when the big 12 get busted up. Your clones will be left out in the cold cause NOBODY takes you and your paltry fanbase seriously. If NEbby comes to the big 10 then you guys will only have one profitable home game EVERY OTHER YEAR in football. Stinks to be you!

How do you figure. . .??? This I gotta hear. . .

Last year's title in which he lost and threw the guy doing the backflip

Making a jacking off motion to ISU after the match this season

For the one comment that Varner makes Metcalf makes 10 more just like it or worse. But it is funny and cool because he is a Hawkeye. Right?!

Listen, I am not busting on Metcalf for this. He is what he is and that is what makes him such a great wrestler. But I find it ironic that Hawkeye fans are complaining about a joke Varner made when they have Brands and Metcalf on their side.

Last year's title in which he lost and threw the guy doing the backflip

Making a jacking off motion to ISU after the match this season

For the one comment that Varner makes Metcalf makes 10 more just like it or worse. But it is funny and cool because he is a Hawkeye. Right?!

Listen, I am not busting on Metcalf for this. He is what he is and that is what makes him such a great wrestler. But I find it ironic that Hawkeye fans are complaining about a joke Varner made when they have Brands and Metcalf on their side.

Each sides fans take these things to far. The athletes are out there having fun and competing. neither one is a bad sport. everybody just needs to get over it and just enjoy the product on the mat and not worry about another teams wrestler.