Varners Comments/Soundoff

Was the president in Iowa City or Ames today?

Haha you can have that claim to fame! :p

.Iowa State was such an overwhelming and awesome place that Dan Gable stayed there to coach. O wait a second......he came to Iowa City. When Iowa State was a better wrestling school at the time, Gable decided to come to Iowa City and take a chance on this program and built it into a powerhouse.

Cane...do a little research. Why did Gable leave ISU? Anybody that follows wrestling knows the reason. It has nothing to do with Iowa State and how little he thought of the school.

Cane...do a little research. Why did Gable leave ISU? Anybody that follows wrestling knows the reason. It has nothing to do with Iowa State and how little he thought of the school.

This I will agree with you on, ISU wasn't going to get rid of Harold Nichols who had that program rolling in the late 60's and early 70's and take a chance on Gable, unless Pollard would have been the AD back then.

This I will agree with you on, ISU wasn't going to get rid of Harold Nichols who had that program rolling in the late 60's and early 70's and take a chance on Gable, unless Pollard would have been the AD back then.

Ha well Pollard got rid of Douglas who really hadn't done to much for Cael. Can't blame him there.

isu has been on a downward spiral and i just don't see them landing much recruits out of state in the coming years

Haha you can have that claim to fame! :p

So you leave and go to the other main competitor and rival in-state? Why wouldn't he stay and be an assistant until nichols left if he loved it so deeply?

$$$$ Mans gotta make a living.... I doubt it was much, but at the time being a head coach at Iowa or staying on as an assistant at ISU... even if you love it... it’s an easy choice.

So you leave and go to the other main competitor and rival in-state? Why wouldn't he stay and be an assistant until nichols left if he loved it so deeply?

Latest posts