Van Coleman Interview

Listened to Van Coleman today on 1700 The Champ out of Des Moines. Among the many topics discussed was, of course, Iowa basketball recruiting. When asked if he was surprised that Iowa was no longer recruiting Glover, Coleman said that he was given his belief that Glover "was the guy" since the Hawks had lost out earlier on a couple of PG recruits. Coleman said that Hubbard is a dynamic player who can play four spots, so possibly he'll see time at the point should he chose to come to Iowa. Coleman said that maybe Fran has decided to go with Marble as the backup PG and reaffirmed that Hubbard will announce on Saturday his choice of either Iowa or Nebraska, but in the meantime he is not talking to coaches from either school. As Coleman put it: "the coaches will just have bite their fingernails bloody on this one until Saturday." With Glover off the board, Coleman also said that "maybe Iowa is recruiting somebody at point guard that we don't know about." When asked for names of others that are being recruited by the Hawks, he mentioned Katenda and Olaseni in passing and offered no insight as to their status. Coleman also indicated that Iowa may be looking at one of two decomits from Providence.

The discussion on the state of Iowa basketball recruiting with a recognized national recruiting guru didn't cause me to jump out of my chair with excitement. Coleman seemed to be scratching his head like the rest of us on where Iowa is with its springtime recruiting, but maybe that the way Fran wants it.

Listened to Van Coleman today on 1700 The Champ out of Des Moines. Among the many topics discussed was, of course, Iowa basketball recruiting. When asked if he was surprised that Iowa was no longer recruiting Glover, Coleman said that he was given his belief that Glover "was the guy" since the Hawks had lost out earlier on a couple of PG recruits. Coleman said that Hubbard is a dynamic player who can play four spots, so possibly he'll see time at the point should he chose to come to Iowa. Coleman said that maybe Fran has decided to go with Marble as the backup PG and reaffirmed that Hubbard will announce on Saturday his choice of either Iowa or Nebraska, but in the meantime he is not talking to coaches from either school. As Coleman put it: "the coaches will just have bite their fingernails bloody on this one until Saturday." With Glover off the board, Coleman also said that "maybe Iowa is recruiting somebody at point guard that we don't know about." When asked for names of others that are being recruited by the Hawks, he mentioned Katenda and Olaseni in passing and offered no insight as to their status. Coleman also indicated that Iowa may be looking at one of two decomits from Providence.

The discussion on the state of Iowa basketball recruiting with a recognized national recruiting guru didn't cause me to jump out of my chair with excitement. Coleman seemed to be scratching his head like the rest of us on where Iowa is with its springtime recruiting, but maybe that the way Fran wants it.

I thought you said it was Van Coleman.

If Coleman is in the dark, that is good news. Fran can't trust anyone to let the Cat out of the bag. Discretion is the name of the game.

I can't make sense of Glover situation since the kid was on UCLA's radar up until a few weeks ago when he didn't clear admissions. There has to be another PG in the mix, as I don't think it benefits Marble or the team to have him move to backup PG. Maybe McCaffrey thinks with the addition of Hubbard there are too many wing players and he has a big or two on the radar and wants to save the scholies, thus Marble slides to point.....possible, but not likely IMO.

Glover and his ability to play 1-3 on the floor seems to be a perfect fit for McCaffrey's system, so it is baffling, but exciting.

So basically Van Coleman is no more an insider than he has ever been his entire career.....

This.

I follow Van on twitter and he 'breaks' the news of recruit signings minutes after others. The best part about it is that in order to read Van's 'breaking news' you need to subscribe to his site where others just tell you what you need to know.

I think Fran learned his lesson last year that whatever his staff tells Van, Van tells the world (for a fee) and nipped it in the bud.

I was not happy about all the leaks in recruiting last spring. I voiced that concern and stated that it might be Van with the loose lips. People hammered me and called me a pessimist, etc. A week later Van was interviewed and said that the Iowa coaches had asked him to keep things quiet.

This year, it seems like they have totally shut him out, which is an absolutely sound decision in my book.

Lots of references to recruiting leaks last year. I must have been too busy celebrating Lickliter's departure, but what leaks? Are you talking about players leaving / asking out of LOI's? With only Basabe and Cartwright coming in, I don't recall any leaks.

Van does have some good info out there and I like his new site. I'm just saying this spring period, no one on the outside really has a good grasp on what's going on.

I was not happy about all the leaks in recruiting last spring. I voiced that concern and stated that it might be Van with the loose lips. People hammered me and called me a pessimist, etc. A week later Van was interviewed and said that the Iowa coaches had asked him to keep things quiet.

This year, it seems like they have totally shut him out, which is an absolutely sound decision in my book.

IMO, and from talking to other Iowa media members, most feel Van has the best relationship with the current staff..and possibly one of the only relationships. They are air tight over there, ala the football program.

hoops: leaks were primarily ivolving Hawk targets; the Coleman thing was seemingly the most prominent; but it did come out that the BB coaches were not happy with all the news on message boards and in media, concerning who they were pursuing, and ask VC to put a lid on it. It now appears he has no choice---Mac slammed the lid down himself. For all of us.

Thanks to the OP. It really does make you wonder (as an Iowa fan) who we will end up with. The fact Glover canceled his visit because we already have a "commit" really makes you wonder how this will all play out. It is all definitely interesting!

Latest posts