Uthoff serious about Iowa

JHHAWK basically called him a better version of Aaron White.
I think that's a foolish statement. White has played a year in the Big Ten at a very high level. We're still projecting off Uthoff's Iowa HS memories and film.
That's what's I'm saying. He called him a quicker, better shooting and more athletic version of White. That is an absolutely ridiculous thing to say. If he comes to Iowa I hope it is so true but at this point that is a crazy statement.

Here we go again. Yet another saviour possibly about to show up. Kid basically hasnt touched the court in a college basketball environment and we have people saying he's a.) the second coming of Gordon Hayward and b.) he's a better all around player than Aaron White. Give me a break already.

Here we go again. Yet another saviour possibly about to show up. Kid basically hasnt touched the court in a college basketball environment and we have people saying he's a.) the second coming of Gordon Hayward and b.) he's a better all around player than Aaron White. Give me a break already.

Ha! Are these the thoughts rolling around in your head? Not one person on this thread mentioned JU as being the savior.

It is Jared not Jesus that may be joining the team.

No, the truth. There are plenty of areas for people to goof off. When there are legit sports topics, I don't want to see them hijacked by wanna be funny men

Indeed. I pine for the "old days" when message boards like this served as a forum for people interested in Hawkeye sports who wanted to be "in the know", network with other fans and (god forbid) exchange opinions and discuss things respectfully.

Sadly, it's become a "look at me" tool for the attention-starved, the immature and internet toughguys.

Last edited:

i wouldnt say either of these things but if you have to compare his game it is closer to hayward than white. hayward is a bigger guard where white is a 4 with guard skills. ju is a 3 man in the college game. he doesnt have the athleticism of white or the rebounding ability. he does have a good outside shot and great ballhandling for his size. he will really impress with his passing ability. i am not sure he has the ability to be anymore than an ok wing defender but he is a scorer. he will most likely back up marble at the 3 if he comes to iowa. he isnt the next hayward or even marble (though those two have similar games) but he is more like those two than white.

i feel ju will be a career back up at the 3 spot. backs up marble for a yr and then someone is brought in that is more athletic to play the primary 3. but he could bring great scoring and passing off the bench.

I did not say he was a better player than White,just that he was a better shooter from the arc, more of a perimeter player who is a similar size.
One year ago, when both were entering college, White was an unranked prospect,while Uthoff was Iowa Mr. BB, and ranked as high as 98 in the country...setting in the top 150. So, why is it so ridiculous to project him as being a talented player,like White? Bo Ryan clearly liked him a lot, and was furious to see him leave....why?

I may be wrong on him being more athletic than White,who is very fast.
But, they are similarly sized,so the tendancy is to compare them.
And they are different players,with White being a better inside player,and Uthoff a better perimeter player. That is an important distinction, to find playing time for both guys....so,again...can Uthoff play the 3? I hope so.
I did not say he was a savior,but could be a contributor in an ensemble approach at Iowa. If he comes on board,he will join Oglesby,Gesell and Woodbury as the 4 top 150 players on the roster. Over time,you do need to reach a critical mass of top 150 players on your roster to match up with the OSU's,MSU's and IU's who will have 10 or more top 150 guys.

It would be quite the turn of events if JU ends up at Iowa. It really is a shame he didn't come to Iowa in the first place, but Iowa may have missed out on someone else...who I don't know or care because Iowa didn't.
The significance of JU deciding between ISU and Iowa is something of a sign that the better players from the state respect both programs and their coaches again to want to be at either school. Moving forward I want to see both Iowa/ISU be the dominant programs in the state again, of course, Iowa being the better program and I think they are positioned very well for that long-term. Both coaches are pursuing the top Iowa players with urgency, not with the attitude that they can offer them at any time and they will just show up because it is an in-state school.
Whever JU ends up and I do hope it is Iowa in a crazy turn of events, it will be a win for the state of Iowa basketball.

Who's saying this?

I think he is a quicker,more athletic,better shooting version of Aaron White,from what I have seen,which would allow him to play out on the perimeter.

Come on aboard,Jared!!

I doubt he is more athletic than AW.

He may be quicker side to side defensively but thats probably about it.

White can get up higher, is quicker off the floor, has a quicker first step and is faster end to end. He also has better length.

I do think Utoff has better perimeter shooting and ball handling skills though.

I doubt he is more athletic than AW.

He may be quicker side to side defensively but thats probably about it.

White can get up higher, is quicker off the floor, has a quicker first step and is faster end to end. He also has better length.

I do think Utoff has better perimeter shooting and ball handling skills though.

This is why I am interested. If he can hit the 3 I want him(on the team that is). And by hit the 3 I mean better than White and McCabe(although I know they are both probably going to improve).

Cripes, he's not a savior. Nobody with a brain thinks that, but he's a top 100-150 recruit that several teams with more success than us want. If we had a recruit like him commit out of high school we'd all be happy instead of badmouthing him.

Latest posts