Uthoff Refutes Most of Bo Ryan's Claims

I could see him going to Iowa State, maybe Creighton. Not certain how much he would want to be a Hawk. Being from CR you would think he would be as much of a Hawk fan as someone from Sioux City. However high school basketball players from Linn Marr don't seem to have any feeling for the Hawks.....

With only two scholarships left this year and next, I am not sure who Fran has in mind.....

I have been thinking that we need to get a Hawkeye as the head coach at Linn Mar for Years. Heck I'd take a Panther coach there! Anything to keep Iowa boys in Iowa.

You gotta believe the kid when he offers a couple dozen times to show/release his phone records. No one with any wits about them is going to put that offer out there so emphatically unless they're certain it says exactly what they're claiming.

If Uthoff requests to come to the Hawkeyes regardless of approval/denial... it will do wonders for recruiting. I don't think he can talk to the Hawkeyes about an opening until released by Wisconsin which may or may not happen... but Wisky owes us one if that would come to fruition.
Either way... let it go Bo. Iowa has let more than a fair share of ballers leave if requested. Wisconsin just don't know how to deal with transfers out. Bo said it was new to him.

Josh was a top 130 recruit and highly regarded, certainly not harrison barnes, but the Timing of his commitment was key. Uthoff hsd just decided to go to Wisconsin and all we had was Melsohn, who was a complete unknown......

I would consider him an Iowa Elite player.....

Of course, Melsohn worked out much better than expected his freshman year....

To capture a top 150 recruit at the time was outstanding. Nobody wanted to play at Iowa after the damage Lick had done to the program.....

It just seemed to be a big deal to me at the time.....

:)

I stand corrected. I didn't think he had 14 D1 offers and was a top 120 kid. He just didn't seem that athletic or all that good at anything other then catching and shooting the ball from what I'd seen. He wasn't terrible on O. I think he has a ton of potential especially if he can quicken his release and can go to the hole to draw fouls not just take tough layups. Any kid that is as dangerous from 3 as he showed is a weapon.

I stand corrected. I didn't think he had 14 D1 offers and was a top 120 kid. He just didn't seem that athletic or all that good at anything other then catching and shooting the ball from what I'd seen. He wasn't terrible on O. I think he has a ton of potential especially if he can quicken his release and can go to the hole to draw fouls not just take tough layups. Any kid that is as dangerous from 3 as he showed is a weapon.
Thanks, Hawkfnntn, I think Josh has a ton of potential also. He might be the best passer on the team, is very sure-handed with the ball, and has perfect form shooting the three. His turnaround jump shot around the middle is a thing of beauty.....

I believe he will become one of the best three point snipers we will have had at Iowa when all is said and done....

It is nice to see all the excitement and interest in the basketball program again.....

:D

Last edited:
THIS On Iowa Daily Briefing 4.19.12 — Uthoff edition | TheGazette
But No Ryan says no. It seems punitive. It is cowardly. Just let the kid go and compete against him if the opportunity arises. That’s what a self-actualized, healthy ego would do. This is craven, this is petty.

You say you’re protecting your team and your fans and the interest of coaches, but that’s a flat tire. You’re selling them short. Wisconsin basketball will live and thrive without Jarrod Uthoff and you know it.

AND THIS.. SIMPLY A NO BRAINER! Uthoff likes Iowa’s style of play, surprised by restriction list | Hawk Central

Guard Ben Brust asked to be released from his scholarship to Iowa after Todd Lickliter was fired as the Iowa coach in March 2010 and replaced by McCaffery. Iowa complied and Brust ultimately won an appeal that allowed him to be on scholarship at Wisconsin.
Uthoff also thinks he could be on scholarship at Iowa or Indiana if he won his appeal since he didn’t play in any games last season.
“The Big Ten just changed the rule, since I haven’t played in the Big Ten, then I can transfer to another Big Ten school,” Uthoff said.

I don't think transferring among conference schools is a good idea. If Uthoff were to transfer here or Indiana, I would really worry for his safety at the Kohl center. You should read the comments on the Badger forums concerning JU. People are calling him a liar, mentally ill, and worse. Some are making threats of verbal and physical harm. Badgernation is losing their collective minds over this.
The sh1tstorm that would rain down on this kid if he were to ever return to the Kohl Center is beyond belief. I for one, hope he does not transfer to Iowa.

I don't think transferring among conference schools is a good idea. If Uthoff were to transfer here or Indiana, I would really worry for his safety at the Kohl center. You should read the comments on the Badger forums concerning JU. People are calling him a liar, mentally ill, and worse. Some are making threats of verbal and physical harm. Badgernation is losing their collective minds over this.
The sh1tstorm that would rain down on this kid if he were to ever return to the Kohl Center is beyond belief. I for one, hope he does not transfer to Iowa.

I think its fine as long as the player hasn't played in a conf game. I say this because the can of worms on this topic has already been opened by Brust's exemption from the rule.

Good grief...

I don't think it would be nearly as bad as you say. Yes, he would be booed. Brust has been booed in CHA and Bohannon was regularly booed when returning to Iowa City. Not a big deal. Haluska also survived going back to Ames with nothing worse than booing and name-calling.

My opinion is the transfer rule should be changed by the NCAA to not allow coaches to block transfers to any schools. The player has to sit out a year of competition, that is the deterrent for players transferring. Beyond that, the player should be free to go to any school.

It's rumored that the reason the B1G caved on Brust's appeal 2 years ago was that the conference was afraid of being sued by Brust. My guess is Uthoff might have a decent case against Wisky, since just 2 years ago the Badgers helped Brust appeal the rule about transferring to another conference school.

Re: Good grief...

I don't think it would be nearly as bad as you say. Yes, he would be booed. Brust has been booed in CHA and Bohannon was regularly booed when returning to Iowa City. Not a big deal. Haluska also survived going back to Ames with nothing worse than booing and name-calling.

My opinion is the transfer rule should be changed by the NCAA to not allow coaches to block transfers to any schools. The player has to sit out a year of competition, that is the deterrent for players transferring. Beyond that, the player should be free to go to any school.

It's rumored that the reason the B1G caved on Brust's appeal 2 years ago was that the conference was afraid of being sued by Brust. My guess is Uthoff might have a decent case against Wisky, since just 2 years ago the Badgers helped Brust appeal the rule about transferring to another conference school.

I would be careful about the inter-conference transfer rule being changed. It wouldn't be that hard to form a super team and the chances to tap up players by other teams are too numerous. As someone mentioned earlier, we wouldn't like it if Aaron White just went off to OSU without any repurcussions or restrictions.

Its not really logical to change an entire system using the Brust situation as the jump off. Using an incoming recruit to change rules that can be used by proven players would be foolish imo.

I would be careful about the inter-conference transfer rule being changed. It wouldn't be that hard to form a super team and the chances to tap up players by other teams are too numerous. As someone mentioned earlier, we wouldn't like it if Aaron White just went off to OSU without any repurcussions or restrictions.

Its not really logical to change an entire system using the Brust situation as the jump off. Using an incoming recruit to change rules that can be used by proven players would be foolish imo.

If they were to allow inter-conference transfers, I would want them to make the player lose a year of eligibility if they transfer. The player could not use a RS if one were available to him. I would think that would deter quite a few of the transfers.

I really disagree with this. On both points. Badger-nation is absolutely out of their minds over this. There will be more than just some boos. I fear for his safety. I really mean that.

The conference transfer rule is fine as is.

That being said, I don't think Uthoff will transfer to Iowa. I'm guessing ISU or Creighton.

Beating BadgerNation in their house certainly was painful, perhaps the most painful loss other than vanishing from the NCAA tournament.....

You know that they were wanting blood in Iowa City, It was most gratifying to see them fall twice to the perceived bottom dwelling Iowa Hawkeyes.....

The humiliation they suffered was equal to that of the Spartans last season in IC....

It is certainly a positive sign when the top tier teams in the Big Ten suffer humiliating losses to the Hawks and then exhaust themselves preparing to repay the serious loss of face......

It was most gratifying to see MSU lose at NW the game after they played Gangsta Ball against the Hawks.....

We might be BACK, Lads...

Bo probably is gazing into his musky crystal ball and seeing the borders of Iowa slamming shut in his pasty face.....

e2d769.jpg

:D

Latest posts