Uthoff definitely showing true commitment

True commitment?!?!

The dude broke his commitment. The how's and they why's can be debated until the cows come home but it seems like an odd choice of words for a transfer.

As others have stated, I doubt he came to Iowa without any assurances.

Butthurt_pokemons.jpg

If you want to talk commitment, talk Matt Gatens. He stuck it through at Iowa through some really rough years and never wavered in his dedication to the program. Uthoff said screw you I'm going to Wisconson then realized Fran knows what he's doing here, and left his "commitment". He didn't care to be with us in the first place, so how committed can he really be?

There was talk on different boards that Matt's patience was wearing thin with Licklitter. He might have been gone to if Lick were still around.

If you want to talk commitment, talk Matt Gatens. He stuck it through at Iowa through some really rough years and never wavered in his dedication to the program. Uthoff said screw you I'm going to Wisconson then realized Fran knows what he's doing here, and left his "commitment". He didn't care to be with us in the first place, so how committed can he really be?

EXACTLY! +1,000

Gatens was a great player for Iowa. Utoff will be a great player for Iowa. All the players they have now seem to be hard working guys. I think they will be all great players for Iowa.

People (Except Badger fans, who bitterness comes naturally) that put down Uthoff for not picking the Hawks from day one, are not thinking rationally. Who would have wanted to come play for Lick? It was fairly common knowledge that even Gatens was questioning his commitment (Mr. Hawkeye himself).

I personally think that Uthoff made a mistake, a bad choice if you will, but his switching schools has no connection to his personality or commitment. It takes a big person to admit that he made a mistake...

mr. commitment isnt uthoff and it isnt gatens. uthoff has changed his mind multiple times. i expect him to be here for 3 yrs of play but you never know. gatens was talking about transferring because of lick and that is why he was fired. the true mr. commitment is jarryd cole...he went through 3 coaches and 2 major injuries and still stuck it out. that is the guy i feel deserves that title.

mr. commitment isnt uthoff and it isnt gatens. uthoff has changed his mind multiple times. i expect him to be here for 3 yrs of play but you never know. gatens was talking about transferring because of lick and that is why he was fired. the true mr. commitment is jarryd cole...he went through 3 coaches and 2 major injuries and still stuck it out. that is the guy i feel deserves that title.

Cole can have mr. commitment and Matt can be mr. program saver

People (Except Badger fans, who bitterness comes naturally) that put down Uthoff for not picking the Hawks from day one, are not thinking rationally. Who would have wanted to come play for Lick? It was fairly common knowledge that even Gatens was questioning his commitment (Mr. Hawkeye himself).

I personally think that Uthoff made a mistake, a bad choice if you will, but his switching schools has no connection to his personality or commitment. It takes a big person to admit that he made a mistake...

This poster just gets it. 18-year old kids make mistakes and often feel torn about what direction to go with their lives. We all went through it at one point and some old enough have seen their own kids go through it. It has absolutely nothing to do with character. Jarrod Uthoff spent his formative years growing up in Cedar Rapids watching the Iowa basketball program spiral downward. When Bo Ryan came knocking on his door offering a scholarship Wisconsin had to look pretty good considering what they have achieved in basketball and the quality of the university. Fran arrived on the scene too late and a year in Madison changed his perspective. It doesn't seem any more complicated than that.

This poster just gets it. 18-year old kids make mistakes and often feel torn about what direction to go with their lives. We all went through it at one point and some old enough have seen their own kids go through it. It has absolutely nothing to do with character. Jarrod Uthoff spent his formative years growing up in Cedar Rapids watching the Iowa basketball program spiral downward. When Bo Ryan came knocking on his door offering a scholarship Wisconsin had to look pretty good considering what they have achieved in basketball and the quality of the university. Fran arrived on the scene too late and a year in Madison changed his perspective. It doesn't seem any more complicated than that.[/QUOTE

Somewhat agree, however, the fact a kid de-committed from a major college program still says something about that kid. Paint any picture you want. The picture here is he wasn't playing, the grass looked a little greener closer to home, so....he changed his mind and went back on his word. End of story. Character? Maybe yes. Maybe no.

Last edited:
In my mind it is quite clear cut. Jarryd was a prize recruit, Mr. Basketball in Iowa. He watched the miserable years under Lick and the future under Fran was unknown and probably would take literally years to right the ship. He would have been somewhat of a fool to commit to the Hawkeyes at the time when he could go to a school that, despite the Lick style of play, made the tournament year after year and was always at the top of the conference. He made the right choice at the time all things considered. In the meantime something extraordinary happened in Iowa City, Fran in two years made tremendous improvement, and corralled a top 25 recruiting class, in addition to beating the Badgers, not once, but twice last season. He saw the exciting play and potential coming to Iowa, and decided to come home to the Hawks.....

It took a lot of courage to make that decision. He was like a leper at Wisconsin until the end of the school year and has suffered ridicule on the Hawkeye message boards which, in my opinion is blatantly unfair. According to rumor he has always been a Hawkeye fan, impossible not to be growing up in CR. I am happy he decided to come to play at Carver, giving up a year of eligibility and having to pay for one year out of pocket. That is dedication.....

That is also why Josh Oglesby's decision to come to play at Iowa was such a big deal for the program. Nobody wanted to play for the Hawks. They were among the worst teams in D1 at the time, and absolutely no top 100/150 player would, in his right mind, even consider the Hawks. Josh started the turnaround by his bold commitment. That also took courage. He also was a major influence on Mike G and Adam Woodbury making their decision.....

Jarryd simply saw the style of play at Iowa and the success Fran was making in a very short time, remarkable even, and had the fortitude to make a huge decision, and the Hawks and he are better for it.....

:)

In my mind it is quite clear cut. Jarryd was a prize recruit, Mr. Basketball in Iowa. He watched the miserable years under Lick and the future under Fran was unknown and probably would take literally years to right the ship. He would have been somewhat of a fool to commit to the Hawkeyes at the time when he could go to a school that, despite the Lick style of play, made the tournament year after year and was always at the top of the conference. He made the right choice at the time all things considered. In the meantime something extraordinary happened in Iowa City, Fran in two years made tremendous improvement, and corralled a top 25 recruiting class, in addition to beating the Badgers, not once, but twice last season. He saw the exciting play and potential coming to Iowa, and decided to come home to the Hawks.....

It took a lot of courage to make that decision. He was like a leper at Wisconsin until the end of the school year and has suffered ridicule on the Hawkeye message boards which, in my opinion is blatantly unfair. According to rumor he has always been a Hawkeye fan, impossible not to be growing up in CR. I am happy he decided to come to play at Carver, giving up a year of eligibility and having to pay for one year out of pocket. That is dedication.....

That is also why Josh Oglesby's decision to come to play at Iowa was such a big deal for the program. Nobody wanted to play for the Hawks. They were among the worst teams in D1 at the time, and absolutely no top 100/150 player would, in his right mind, even consider the Hawks. Josh started the turnaround by his bold commitment. That also took courage. He also was a major influence on Mike G and Adam Woodbury making their decision.....

Jarryd simply saw the style of play at Iowa and the success Fran was making in a very short time, remarkable even, and had the fortitude to make a huge decision, and the Hawks and he are better for it.....

:)

Or you could say that the highest rated recruit in the BIG (Sam Dekker) was going to be coming in at Uthoff's exact position. Dekker is a Wisconsin legend already in the high school ranks and he probably thought he wasn't going to play as much with Dekker there.

Uthoff also wasn't really going to play much this year either. Bruisewitz, Evans and Dekker above him in the rotation. He probably saw a chance for playing time at Iowa because well, Iowa hasn't been to the NCAA's in years and who couldn't crack that lineup.

But whatever makes you sleep better at night. I've also heard from people that have attended PTL games that Uthoff isn't nearly the game changing player that hawk fans thought he'd be.

Or you could say that the highest rated recruit in the BIG (Sam Dekker) was going to be coming in at Uthoff's exact position. Dekker is a Wisconsin legend already in the high school ranks and he probably thought he wasn't going to play as much with Dekker there.

Uthoff also wasn't really going to play much this year either. Bruisewitz, Evans and Dekker above him in the rotation. He probably saw a chance for playing time at Iowa because well, Iowa hasn't been to the NCAA's in years and who couldn't crack that lineup.

But whatever makes you sleep better at night. I've also heard from people that have attended PTL games that Uthoff isn't nearly the game changing player that hawk fans thought he'd be.

Feeling just a bit bitter? I don't think I've ever seen a fan base react more badly to a transfer than the Badger fans have to Uthoff leaving. We all have a tendancy to take this stuff too seriously at times and of course Bo handling things the way he did added fuel to the fire. JUST LET IT GO and move on.

There is so much BS in this post it is actually amusing. Activebadger, I know that you are thought of as a joke on the Badger boards, but please try and refrain from posting your malarkey here. Really, we would all appreciate it.