Uthoff Can Go anywhere on aid save Big Ten schools

00 points scored thus far in D-1 and there are points coming-on line next year from Utah and Michigan. All I'm saying is Jarrod has gone back to square one and ISU is not the program it was two years ago. There are big fish out there and ISU is sitting on one extra ( I think) scholarship to give.

We have two scholarships open. Ideally, we could use one post player 4/5 that can play immediately (that is probably our biggest need in 2012).

The other could very easily go to a guy like Uthoff who will be a mature player, although not necessarily proven or experienced in a year (2013) where we'll have A LOT of shoes to fill.

I can't help but to just roll eyes at Iowa State fans who say things like "Uthoff doesn't have the skills to play at Iowa State" The people who wear that standard red sweater with yellow IOWA STATE sewed into it are very similar to those people who wear black shirts with BLACK SHIRTS imprinted on it.

Either way... the conversation typically goes south really quick. The older I get the more I realize that my dislike was less due to bias than I had thought in my youth. They really are irritating as heck.

I can't help but to just roll eyes at Iowa State fans who say things like "Uthoff doesn't have the skills to play at Iowa State" The people who wear that standard red sweater with yellow IOWA STATE sewed into it are very similar to those people who wear black shirts with BLACK SHIRTS imprinted on it.

Either way... the conversation typically goes south really quick. The older I get the more I realize that my dislike was less due to bias than I had thought in my youth. They really are irritating as heck.

Anyone making that assumption, is probably always skewed in their evaluation of talent. Uthoff is 6'8". Had great offers. Has a pretty stroke. The only knock on him is that he's skinny and sort of a tweener (between a 3 and a 4).

He's had 1 full year to work on the "skinny" think, and will have 1 more full year before he is able to play.

I would be more than happy to take him. I won't lose sleep if we don't get him, but we have only 6 scholarship players + Bubu coming back in 2013. We have room for him.

Well said, I agree!

Where are these ISU fans that are saying he doesn't have the skills to play at ISU? From what I can tell we were all bummed he didn't come in the first place and are excited to have a second shot at him.

He's a Cyclone fan...it's in their jeans...

I'm a little disturbed that you are concerned about what's in my jeans. hehe.

Honestly I am fine with him going to Iowa State. The biggest gain for Iowa is Bo Ryan making himself look like a turd to every recruit within our state. Even though Wisconsin lifted those restrictions I think the damage has already been done.

Iowa State is a done deal for certain now. With him that makes 9 transfers in 2 years under Hoiberg. They could still add another during spring as well in Norvelle Pelle. IF that happens that would give them 7 transfers on roster next season. Definitely TransferU.

What's the point? Franny would be on Uthoff faster than flies on $#@^ if that's where he wanted to play. It's stupid to diss Hoiberg when Fran would jump on the kid.

Iowa State is a done deal for certain now. With him that makes 9 transfers in 2 years under Hoiberg. They could still add another during spring as well in Norvelle Pelle. IF that happens that would give them 7 transfers on roster next season. Definitely TransferU.

TransferU beat UCONN in the NCAA Tourney this year.
While I understand the disdain for transfers, it's tough to rip on the results.

It seems like Uthoff is really trying to get to Iowa. I read somewhere, that he is trying to get the B1G waved also. Maybe he's just trying to flex his muscle, I'm not sure. But it really does seem that is more important than the Iowa State, ACC, Marquette, and the other schools that were restricted.

TransferU beat UCONN in the NCAA Tourney this year.
While I understand the disdain for transfers, it's tough to rip on the results.

I know. I was embracing it. It's the only way a really bad team like Iowa and Iowa State can succeed quickly. Fran should embrace it.

Like a lot of Clone fans have said and convinced me, having a top 20 recruiting class and leaning on freshmen to contribute isn't going to work. You have to bring in a bunch of transfers to play along with those freshmen. That's why Georges Niang will be such a star next year because he will play along these incredible transfers. Fran should be going hard after top transfers with the remaining scholarships.

Last edited:
I know. I was embracing it. It's the only way a really bad team like Iowa and Iowa State can succeed quickly. Fran should embrace it.

Honestly I prefer the way we are building to the way ISU is. Yes it puts us a year or so behind, but the tradeoff is a more solid future.

Bringing in a bunch of xfers and winning some games doesn't build a program, it builds a resume, which people only need if they are planning on doing something else relatively soon.

Honestly I prefer the way we are building to the way ISU is. Yes it puts us a year or so behind, but the tradeoff is a more solid future.

Bringing in a bunch of xfers and winning some games doesn't build a program, it builds a resume, which people only need if they are planning on doing something else relatively soon.

You don't think it's easier to sell a program that went to an NCAA tournament in year 2 than selling one that isn't?

It's only a more solid future for Iowa if the recruits pan out. There are no guarantees. I can guarantee that ISU went to the NCAA tournament last year. One in the hand is better than two in the bush.

I don't expect much out of Niang next year other than being a good backup for Ejim.

I disagree that ISU has mortgaged the future. I think they have built to win now, using transfers, and they have also done a good job recruiting for the future, using this recruiting class as an example. If you add in the IF's of Pelle and Uthoff, it could be an excellent foundation. That said we need some PG's and soon.

They not only beat UConn, they played Kentucky as well as any team in the tournament for 3/4 of the game. Won't be as easy next season for the Clones. To say that Royce was the heart, soul and reason they made the tournament is understatement. No Royce next year.....

So Sad.....

The transfer policy did pay off last season, we shall see how it works next season.....

I also prefer Fran's policy, developing talent for the future, especially now that he has the athleticism and ability coming in this year to add to a very nice team.....

Jarrod playing a year of JC ball, then coming to Iowa would be a solid answer to the problem, if there is room for him on the roster. I believe there are only two scholarships remaining for this year and next.....

Bottom line, as has been mentioned, is that Bo Ryan and Wisconsin have been stained, and the result should be a deterrent to recruiting, especially in the state of Iowa from now on.....

:)

I think if Uthoff has the money, it would be great to see him pay his own way to go to Iowa and then beat Wisky every time they played them. That would be great.

Being a Cyclone fan though, we'll take him. I don't understand all the negative feelings towards ISU being TransferU? Whatever works IMO, and thus far it has worked.

Iowa has tried to get a lot of transfers since Fran has been there, but haven't had much luck, and the ones he did get ended up quitting before ever seeing the court. But do you really believe that Fran was right in not going after someone like Royce White? And do you think Fran wouldn't take Jarrod Uthoff in a heartbeat if he could? Of course he would.

I really don't think transfers are any more or less likely to pan out than true freshmen? There are a LOT of true freshmen that end up transferring out of programs too (Uthoff).... so who's to say which way is more "risky"?

I just don't mind being called TransferU. As long as it works, who cares. Do I wish college basketball was like it was 30 years ago and you only brought in freshman and they stayed all 4 years... yes. But that's not the way it is anymore. Like it or not, it's completely changed.

Iowa has tried to get a lot of transfers since Fran has been there, but haven't had much luck, and the ones he did get ended up quitting before ever seeing the court. But do you really believe that Fran was right in not going after someone like Royce White? And do you think Fran wouldn't take Jarrod Uthoff in a heartbeat if he could? Of course he would.

Please list all the transfers that Fran has tried to get to come to Iowa. And I dont think JUCO transfers are the same thing as kids that are transferring from a 4 year school. Im guessing your comment about transfers quitting at Iowa was in regards to Hubbard. It isnt the same thing.

I think if Uthoff has the money, it would be great to see him pay his own way to go to Iowa and then beat Wisky every time they played them. That would be great.

Being a Cyclone fan though, we'll take him. I don't understand all the negative feelings towards ISU being TransferU? Whatever works IMO, and thus far it has worked.

I really don't think transfers are any more or less likely to pan out than true freshmen? There are a LOT of true freshmen that end up transferring out of programs too (Uthoff).... so who's to say which way is more "risky"?

I just don't mind being called TransferU. As long as it works, who cares. Do I wish college basketball was like it was 30 years ago and you only brought in freshman and they stayed all 4 years... yes. But that's not the way it is anymore. Like it or not, it's completely changed.
do your homework before you post.....:rolleyes:

Latest posts