USC/UCLA to the Big Ten?

If there aren't enough voting members of the ACC left, they can't force that grant of rights. I'm guessing there is some sort of renegotiations that will occur.

That's currently the only way to get out of it. Either way, that's probably good news for ISU as well, because that would mean that there would be some good ACC programs to scoop up and add to the Big 12 in that case as well.

That's currently the only way to get out of it. Either way, that's probably good news for ISU as well, because that would mean that there would be some good ACC programs to scoop up and add to the Big 12 in that case as well.

Nah, there's a really easy way to get out of it. You would obviously need some good lawyers to pull it off and to cover your ass from an antitrust suit, but what you do is have the Big Ten and SEC sit down and hash out a new bowl alliance. You have an alternative A and an alternative B. Alternative A would be just the B1G and SEC monopolizing all the top bowl games and having a mini playoff system amongst themselves. Alternative B would include the other conferences in maybe a few top games and an expanded playoff that ensures a playoff berth for the ACC champ, but would require a concession that the ACC releases a few teams that the SEC or B1G wants from the Grant of Rights agreement.

Getting the ACC to dissolve on its own would require poaching too many teams. It would be a nuclear strike. The SEC and Big Ten want to execute on a precision tactical strike because they don't want to be saddled with any of the dogshit out of the ACC.

Am I the only one that still thinks screw ND? They had their chance and pissed it away repeatedly. Let them remain independent. That ship has sailed they made their choice.

Nah, there's a really easy way to get out of it. You would obviously need some good lawyers to pull it off and to cover your ass from an antitrust suit, but what you do is have the Big Ten and SEC sit down and hash out a new bowl alliance. You have an alternative A and an alternative B. Alternative A would be just the B1G and SEC monopolizing all the top bowl games and having a mini playoff system amongst themselves. Alternative B would include the other conferences in maybe a few top games and an expanded playoff that ensures a playoff berth for the ACC champ, but would require a concession that the ACC releases a few teams that the SEC or B1G wants from the Grant of Rights agreement.

Getting the ACC to dissolve on its own would require poaching too many teams. It would be a nuclear strike. The SEC and Big Ten want to execute on a precision tactical strike because they don't want to be saddled with any of the dogshit out of the ACC.

That sounds a lot more difficult than you're making it out to be.

That sounds a lot more difficult than you're making it out to be.

It's far easier than getting saddled with dogshit out of the ACC necessary to cause its de facto dissolution.

I work with an Oregon fan and a bunch of Clemson fans. As you may recall, I felt bad for ISU when UT and OU bounced, and I still feel bad for ISU because I have no delusions that Iowa would be in exactly the same spot without the benevolence of Ohio and Michigan. You understood it right away. These guys don't. Perhaps they are still in shock, but when I explained how any new additions to the Big Ten had to be "accretive" to the media deal, none of them got it and went through denial saying how accretive their respective schools are.

To his credit, the Oregon fan researched it over the weekend and now understands how Oregon is screwed unless the Big Ten places a lot of value on its recent football success. But the Clemson fans don't get it all. I told them the SEC is already in South Carolina, they don't need another team, especially one with a smaller fanbase than U of South Carolina, but it is like trying to explain differential equations to a 4 year old. The only crown jewels left in the ACC are UVA and UNC. The rest is dogshit and I just don't see the SEC or Big Ten making a move unless it will be neutral for the bottom line (if a program is good like Clemson right now) or accretive. But I don't see how Clemson could possibly even be revenue neutral. Their fan base has to be smaller than Iowa's. You get south of the split on I-26/I-385 and everything, absolutely everything, is U of SC. It's like Clemson doesn't even exist. It's even rarer than ISU gear in Johnson County, Iowa.

So in summation, I really appreciate how you guys were able to quickly digest the news of the changing landscape and see how fucked Iowa State was going to be. Some morons had hope of ISU going to the Big Ten, but that was a distinct minority position among ISU fans.

I also have a gut feeling that Iowa will fall in the pecking order, but I guess we will see. Iowa has benefited from being in the west and missing OSU most years, and that string of luck is sure to end, but I am just not sure things will be automatically harder for the Hawks with the addition of the teams being mentioned. We know what USC could be, but they haven't been that for awhile. ND has been top-tier, but if they come in with 7 other randos, does that really make a big difference in Iowa's season to season prospects?

Add into that they will prob do away with the divisions and take the two best teams if they have a championship, similar to what the Big 12 has been doing.

Iowa has a consistent defense most years to be formidable. BF and the Iowa offense really need to amp it up Hayden Fry style and be more loose and aggressive. Iowa will need style points on offense more than ever going forward.

Am I the only one that still thinks screw ND? They had their chance and pissed it away repeatedly. Let them remain independent. That ship has sailed they made their choice.
F, I'm on board and was going to post a similar thing. F 'em. If they were too good for the BIG 10 on 2-3 other occasions, F them. I could care less if they joined the BIG. I don't want them in it. I'll take Oregon and Washington. Plus, that would be two easy teams then taking ND then deciding which other team to take to make it even numbers.

It's far easier than getting saddled with dogshit out of the ACC necessary to cause its de facto dissolution.

I work with an Oregon fan and a bunch of Clemson fans. As you may recall, I felt bad for ISU when UT and OU bounced, and I still feel bad for ISU because I have no delusions that Iowa would be in exactly the same spot without the benevolence of Ohio and Michigan. You understood it right away. These guys don't. Perhaps they are still in shock, but when I explained how any new additions to the Big Ten had to be "accretive" to the media deal, none of them got it and went through denial saying how accretive their respective schools are.

To his credit, the Oregon fan researched it over the weekend and now understands how Oregon is screwed unless the Big Ten places a lot of value on its recent football success. But the Clemson fans don't get it all. I told them the SEC is already in South Carolina, they don't need another team, especially one with a smaller fanbase than U of South Carolina, but it is like trying to explain differential equations to a 4 year old. The only crown jewels left in the ACC are UVA and UNC. The rest is dogshit and I just don't see the SEC or Big Ten making a move unless it will be neutral for the bottom line (if a program is good like Clemson right now) or accretive. But I don't see how Clemson could possibly even be revenue neutral. Their fan base has to be smaller than Iowa's. You get south of the split on I-26/I-385 and everything, absolutely everything, is U of SC. It's like Clemson doesn't even exist. It's even rarer than ISU gear in Johnson County, Iowa.

So in summation, I really appreciate how you guys were able to quickly digest the news of the changing landscape and see how fucked Iowa State was going to be. Some morons had hope of ISU going to the Big Ten, but that was a distinct minority position among ISU fans.

I would argue Georgia Tech, Miami, VA, and UNC are probably additive. Even then I'm not sure. If what the rumors are that are true regarding Washington and Oregon, that they won't be additive to the Big 10, I'm not sure what schools would be.

I would argue Georgia Tech, Miami, VA, and UNC are probably additive. Even then I'm not sure. If what the rumors are that are true regarding Washington and Oregon, that they won't be additive to the Big 10, I'm not sure what schools would be.

I don't understand Miami and don't view them as a national powerhouse. They are a regional team at best. Yes, they had a few good years back in the late 80's early 90's or so, but, that is about it. They aren't consistently strong in basketball or really any other sport for that matter. I'd venture to say that if the BIG wanted to get in the Florida market, maybe they'd be better off poaching FL State. Not sure if they are AAU or not. I just never got this love for Miami.

This could be Clemson in 6 years as well.

As a Clone fan, what is the word in your world. What is being said from Cyclone fans? How nervous are you all?

The money involved by adding ND you never ever say screw them. There a top 5 prestige program in the country. The whole country knows about ND. You get them if you can.

You are not the only one. Too many years of arrogance and about the last major football power to sign black athletes. Yup. They had their chance.

The money involved by adding ND you never ever say screw them. There a top 5 prestige program in the country. The whole country knows about ND. You get them if you can.
I think you're right. I also think ND won't dominate like folks think they will. I would love to play ND in Kinnick in Nov. Same with USC and UCLA. Good stuff.

Don't get me wrong... I'm a pure traditionalist. I went to big ten games as a kid (original big ten). I loved the tradition and regional nature of the game. It's gone now, but if it's going to be a slimy cash grab, we might as well be on the good side of it with some really interesting programs (USC and UCLA will be fascinating).

As a Clone fan, what is the word in your world. What is being said from Cyclone fans? How nervous are you all?

Honestly there is always a little bit of nerves, but there is the possibility of us and the Big 12 coming out a lot stronger this time. I'm not counting any eggs until they are hatched but if it's true that the Big 12 could be absorbing several of the remaining PAC schools then we're a lot better off. No name brands but a solid conference with teams that have had some good historical success. A lot of scenarios still to play out, but most people aren't that nervous and mostly just hopeful and excited.

Best thing for the Big 12 would be to have the Big 10 pick up ND and Stanford or something to further weaken the conference. Then the Big 12 could swoop in and get the AZ schools, CU, Utah, Oregon, and Wash. Then wait for the inevitable ACC implosion where they could pick up a few more east schools to get to 20-24 teams. Effing ridiculous but a conference that big could kind of regionalize itself.

We had better hope that strong conferences, besides the SEC & BT, not only survive but prosper. Big 12 success is crucial.

Honestly there is always a little bit of nerves, but there is the possibility of us and the Big 12 coming out a lot stronger this time. I'm not counting any eggs until they are hatched but if it's true that the Big 12 could be absorbing several of the remaining PAC schools then we're a lot better off. No name brands but a solid conference with teams that have had some good historical success. A lot of scenarios still to play out, but most people aren't that nervous and mostly just hopeful and excited.

Best thing for the Big 12 would be to have the Big 10 pick up ND and Stanford or something to further weaken the conference. Then the Big 12 could swoop in and get the AZ schools, CU, Utah, Oregon, and Wash. Then wait for the inevitable ACC implosion where they could pick up a few more east schools to get to 20-24 teams. Effing ridiculous but a conference that big could kind of regionalize itself.
That seems plausible, although it remains to be seen if Oregon and Washington go to the Big 12. I can't imagine it's their first choice.

They were a top 5 prestige program. I still say let them remain on the outside looking in.

That seems plausible, although it remains to be seen if Oregon and Washington go to the Big 12. I can't imagine it's their first choice.

They need to secure AZ school, Utah, and Colorado which would essentially leave the PAC with only 6 schools. At that point they wouldn't have much choice.