USC/UCLA to the Big Ten?

To be honest it's not a meltdown. It's kind of funny from our perspective because for once we're not the punching bag.

If we're being honest here, the PAC is in real trouble. The PAC 12 already made less than the Big 12 from their contracts and now they lost their two biggest draws. The Big 10 has said they aren't adding any more PAC schools, and if they were going to do it IMO they would have already done it.

As for Big 12 schools going to the PAC, well the PAC's grant of rights are over in 2024. That's why USC/UCLA can leave so quickly. Big 12 GoR aren't over until 2026, and like we've seen with OU and UT it's not exactly easy to get out of those. So no teams from the Big 12 are going to the PAC until then. Which means that the PAC is going to be negotiating their next TV rights deal for 2024 without USC and UCLA and without anybody else really. I think they are utterly boned.

As for the ACC, they signed a GoR through 2036 and they have the worst TV contract in sports right now also going through 2036.

Some enterprising lawyer is going to be really working hard to find their way out of this stuff but again, if it were easy, OU and UT would already be out of the Big 12.

TLDR: I obviously could be totally wrong, but I think it's much more likely PAC schools will be joining the Big 12 or there could be some kind of merger.
I could see 4 ACC teams moving to SEC and the remainders team with remainders of PAC & BIG 12s and create a 3rd albeit, baby brother super conference.

Ahem, someone on here suggested getting UCLA seasons yesterday. Nothing will make them look like a good program again like playing all the lumbering teams of the worst division in football, the Big Ten West.
I was just going to reply to you. Yes, I think I will work on getting UCLA season tickets in addition to my Hawkeye ones. Also, between USC and UCLA, I will have two potential big ten games in town most every weekend in the future. That's pretty cool.

Don't get me wrong, I wish it were the old days and the big ten had ten members from one region, but that ship sailed long ago, and since we're in an arms race, UCLA and USC ain't bad.

I could see 4 ACC teams moving to SEC and the remainders team with remainders of PAC & BIG 12s and create a 3rd albeit, baby brother super conference.

Again, the ACC has a grant of rights until 2036! That's still 15 years away basically! I mean I'll never say anything is impossible but that will be incredibly tough to overcome.

Again, the ACC has a grant of rights until 2036! That's still 15 years away basically! I mean I'll never say anything is impossible but that will be incredibly tough to overcome.

I've heard of this, but, what is a grant of rights? Quick summary?

To be honest it's not a meltdown. It's kind of funny from our perspective because for once we're not the punching bag.

If we're being honest here, the PAC is in real trouble. The PAC 12 already made less than the Big 12 from their contracts and now they lost their two biggest draws. The Big 10 has said they aren't adding any more PAC schools, and if they were going to do it IMO they would have already done it.

As for Big 12 schools going to the PAC, well the PAC's grant of rights are over in 2024. That's why USC/UCLA can leave so quickly. Big 12 GoR aren't over until 2026, and like we've seen with OU and UT it's not exactly easy to get out of those. So no teams from the Big 12 are going to the PAC until then. Which means that the PAC is going to be negotiating their next TV rights deal for 2024 without USC and UCLA and without anybody else really. I think they are utterly boned.

As for the ACC, they signed a GoR through 2036 and they have the worst TV contract in sports right now also going through 2036.

Some enterprising lawyer is going to be really working hard to find their way out of this stuff but again, if it were easy, OU and UT would already be out of the Big 12.

TLDR: I obviously could be totally wrong, but I think it's much more likely PAC schools will be joining the Big 12 or there could be some kind of merger.
Iowa State may not be the punching bag but if I were an ISU fan, this certainly would be seen as a bad day. There are going to be two "Major Leagues" in college football, the Big 10 and the SEC. And teams that aren't part of those two leagues will be relegated to a lesser status. Less TV money, less prestige and a much more difficult path to compete at the top levels of the game; other sports could be more competitive. But I don't see a path for an Iowa State to gain entry to either of those leagues for the foreseeable future. So if I'm an Iowa State fan, I would not be pleased with these latest developments.

Iowa State may not be the punching bag but if I were an ISU fan, this certainly would be seen as a bad day. There are going to be two "Major Leagues" in college football, the Big 10 and the SEC. And teams that aren't part of those two leagues will be relegated to a lesser status. Less TV money, less prestige and a much more difficult path to compete at the top levels of the game; other sports could be more competitive. But I don't see a path for an Iowa State to gain entry to either of those leagues for the foreseeable future. So if I'm an Iowa State fan, I would not be pleased with these latest developments.

How did yesterday change any of that? ISU was never getting in the SEC or Big 10, and we've known for years that those two conferences were going to get the lion's share of the cash.

I've heard of this, but, what is a grant of rights? Quick summary?

They can leave the conference, but the income from their TV rights (even if in another conference) would revert to the the ACC.

So Clemson could join the SEC, get their 100 million a year... and it would go to the ACC to be distributed to ACC members.

That's what is going on right now with OU and UT - They have a grant of rights with the Big 12 until 2026. That's why they haven't even said exactly when they are leaving the conference, and there is a pretty decent chance they'll still be in the Big 12 until that expires. It's extremely tough to break those things.

They can leave the conference, but the income from their TV rights (even if in another conference) would revert to the the ACC.

So Clemson could join the SEC, get their 100 million a year... and it would go to the ACC to be distributed to ACC members.

That's what is going on right now with OU and UT - They have a grant of rights with the Big 12 until 2026. That's why they haven't even said exactly when they are leaving the conference, and there is a pretty decent chance they'll still be in the Big 12 until that expires. It's extremely tough to break those things.
Thanks for the great explanation.

How did yesterday change any of that? ISU was never getting in the SEC or Big 10, and we've known for years that those two conferences were going to get the lion's share of the cash.
The gap just got bigger yesterday. Here is a paragraph from an article in The Athletic on the subject:

"As for the Big 12, news of the hiring of commissioner Brett Yormark was barely 24 hours old by the time of the latest realignment news. Yormark was already set to be walking an uphill battle by entering a league that had lost its two biggest moneymakers, and that league’s relevance took another huge hit on Thursday as the Big Ten grew in power and stature."

F Standford. F their running back. F John Elway. F their band. For the shit they pulled in the halftime show of that Rose Bowl when they were up 35-0 I hope their shitbag athletic program is relegated to playing San Diego Fucking State in rivalry games and I hope they lose $50 million a year and the only time they play in Iowa in November is when they play Drake because their fucking classless football program has to beg to join the god damned Pioneer League.
And thank you to KF for me blowing 5k on a worthless trip to pasedena

IF FSU and Clemson left the ACC ESPN could easily require a contract renegotiation and the ACC would literally have no negotiating power left.

If there aren't enough voting members of the ACC left, they can't force that grant of rights. I'm guessing there is some sort of renegotiations that will occur.

And thank you to KF for me blowing 5k on a worthless trip to pasedena
That was your own fault. Anyone dropping any amount of coin to travel and watch Iowa play in a big stakes game is a couple eggs short of a dozen. See Michigan 2021 if you need any confirmation.

ACC ain’t changing anything. They’re stuck.
From CBS Sports article:

"However, even a hefty penalty for breaking the grant of rights – rumored to be more than $50 million -- could be financed over that period. Those schools would still come out ahead of what they're making in the ACC."

The schools mentioned were FSU, Clemson and Miami.

Latest posts