USC/UCLA to the Big Ten?

From CBS Sports article:

"However, even a hefty penalty for breaking the grant of rights – rumored to be more than $50 million -- could be financed over that period. Those schools would still come out ahead of what they're making in the ACC."

The schools mentioned were FSU, Clemson and Miami.

The Athletic makes a similar argument for ND to the B1G.

It seems inevitable that the ACC schools that want out will find a way to do so.

Are there any ACC schools (aside from the independent but ACC-curious Notre Dame) that would be interested in the B1G? It seems like most would prefer the SEC.

Okay, so if ND is in play, I say the move is to go to 24 teams:

14 current + USC + UCLA

Stanford + Oregon + Washington

Arizona St. (for the Phoenix metro market)

Colorado + Kansas

Notre Dame

That is 23. For the last school, maybe Boston College? I would say UNC, Duke, or Miami, but not sure if any of them would be interested. Georgia Tech? Cal? Arizona? Iowa State (jk)?

West pod: ASU, USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Nebraska

Midwest pod: Minnesota, Iowa, Wisc, Kansas, NW, Illinois, Purdue, Notre Dame

East pod: Mich, Mich St., OSU, Indiana, PSU, Maryland, Rutgers, BC

Yikes, geographic regions don't look like they are going to work. Not sure how you schedule 24 teams, but there is a lot of money at stake, I am sure they will figure something out. Probably lots of traditions lost along the way, though.

I'm ok with it for now. I stay up late on Saturdays. But in 5-10 yrs from now maybe not I'm getting old fast
Regardless of age, it is uncivilized to have dinner earlier than 8:00 PM.
The key is to not get boozed. My buddies hate me because I can stay up late enough to finish all the west coast games, and I’m still up and rockin by 5:30 am Sunday morning to start the smoker.

They’re all in their forties like me, and hangovers aren’t as easy as they used to be when we were in our 20s.

I’ve been pulled over a handful of times leaving a buddy’s place at midnight (my hometown cops are mostly 25 year old Barney Fifes) and I love it. They come up to the window thinking they just scored an OWI and I’m a huge smart ass cause I love hearing them mumble stupidly. I even asked one if I could get out and do the hokey pokey drunk test and he told me to go home. Should’ve seen the look on his face when I said, “Nope, not going home, I feel like riding around for a while yet.”

The Athletic makes a similar argument for ND to the B1G.

It seems inevitable that the ACC schools that want out will find a way to do so.

Are there any ACC schools (aside from the independent but ACC-curious Notre Dame) that would be interested in the B1G? It seems like most would prefer the SEC.

Okay, so if ND is in play, I say the move is to go to 24 teams:

14 current + USC + UCLA

Stanford + Oregon + Washington

Arizona St. (for the Phoenix metro market)

Colorado + Kansas

Notre Dame

That is 23. For the last school, maybe Boston College? I would say UNC, Duke, or Miami, but not sure if any of them would be interested. Georgia Tech? Cal? Arizona? Iowa State (jk)?
West pod: ASU, USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Nebraska

Midwest pod: Minnesota, Iowa, Wisc, Kansas, NW, Illinois, Purdue, Notre Dame

East pod: Mich, Mich St., OSU, Indiana, PSU, Maryland, Rutgers, BC

Yikes, geographic regions don't look like they are going to work. Not sure how you schedule 24 teams, but there is a lot of money at stake, I am sure they will figure something out. Probably lots of traditions lost along the way, though.

Over/under Notre Dame will be part of B1G within 3 years? I will take the under.

To be honest it's not a meltdown. It's kind of funny from our perspective because for once we're not the punching bag.

If we're being honest here, the PAC is in real trouble. The PAC 12 already made less than the Big 12 from their contracts and now they lost their two biggest draws. The Big 10 has said they aren't adding any more PAC schools, and if they were going to do it IMO they would have already done it.

As for Big 12 schools going to the PAC, well the PAC's grant of rights are over in 2024. That's why USC/UCLA can leave so quickly. Big 12 GoR aren't over until 2026, and like we've seen with OU and UT it's not exactly easy to get out of those. So no teams from the Big 12 are going to the PAC until then. Which means that the PAC is going to be negotiating their next TV rights deal for 2024 without USC and UCLA and without anybody else really. I think they are utterly boned.

As for the ACC, they signed a GoR through 2036 and they have the worst TV contract in sports right now also going through 2036.

Some enterprising lawyer is going to be really working hard to find their way out of this stuff but again, if it were easy, OU and UT would already be out of the Big 12.

TLDR: I obviously could be totally wrong, but I think it's much more likely PAC schools will be joining the Big 12 or there could be some kind of merger.

ISU will be fine until it turns into a game of musical chairs.

The key is to not get boozed. My buddies hate me because I can stay up late enough to finish all the west coast games, and I’m still up and rockin by 5:30 am Sunday morning to start the smoker.

They’re all in their forties like me, and hangovers aren’t as easy as they used to be when we were in our 20s.

I’ve been pulled over a handful of times leaving a buddy’s place at midnight (my hometown cops are mostly 25 year old Barney Fifes) and I love it. They come up to the window thinking they just scored an OWI and I’m a huge smart ass cause I love hearing them mumble stupidly. I even asked one if I could get out and do the hokey pokey drunk test and he told me to go home. Should’ve seen the look on his face when I said, “Nope, not going home, I feel like riding around for a while yet.”
Love your post. I never, ever drive after more than two 16 oz taps during a
2 hour dinner out. If nothing else, OWI in Canada is a felony and you can’t get across the border for 5 years, or maybe 10. Ain’t happening for me. A month in Northern Ontario fishing walleyes is a slice of Heaven. Just got back Sunday. Our group of ten in 4 boats caught and released 2,000 + walleyes/ northerns. And, we ain’t that good.

Had ND agreed, it would have been USC and ND.

ND's going to date/pimp both the SEC and B1G and will go with the most lucrative suitor.

ISU will be fine until it turns into a game of musical chairs.

That's why it's absolutely imperative that the Big 12 jump on any PAC teams they can right now. Don't let it get to musical chairs, just keep putting more chairs in the circle.

The odds of us ever winning a conference championship are essentially zero now. Not even specifically because of USC but that many teams makes a team relying on winning close games like Iowa a real long shot to tie together enough wins.

Remember 02 and 04 I guess.

The odds of us ever winning a conference championship are essentially zero now. Not even specifically because of USC but that many teams makes a team relying on winning close games like Iowa a real long shot to tie together enough wins.

Remember 02 and 04 I guess.

The total number of conference games hasn't changed (yet). It doesn't matter how many teams are in the conference, you will still only play 9 (or 8 or 10, depending on scheduling changes). The overall quality of those 9 might go up a little, but that was already going to happen with the abolishment of the West/East divisions.

The total number of conference games hasn't changed (yet). It doesn't matter how many teams are in the conference, you will still only play 9 (or 8 or 10, depending on scheduling changes). The overall quality of those 9 might go up a little, but that was already going to happen with the abolishment of the West/East divisions.

I get that but there will be a bunch of teams we won’t play every year in conference so we won’t get the head to head tie breakers.

I bet there will be plenty of years when we’re good and get 9 wins but 2-3 other teams win 10+.

I get that but there will be a bunch of teams we won’t play every year in conference so we won’t get the head to head tie breakers.

I bet there will be plenty of years when we’re good and get 9 wins but 2-3 other teams win 10+.

I also have a gut feeling that Iowa will fall in the pecking order, but I guess we will see. Iowa has benefited from being in the west and missing OSU most years, and that string of luck is sure to end, but I am just not sure things will be automatically harder for the Hawks with the addition of the teams being mentioned. We know what USC could be, but they haven't been that for awhile. ND has been top-tier, but if they come in with 7 other randos, does that really make a big difference in Iowa's season to season prospects?

I also have a gut feeling that Iowa will fall in the pecking order, but I guess we will see. Iowa has benefited from being in the west and missing OSU most years, and that string of luck is sure to end, but I am just not sure things will be automatically harder for the Hawks with the addition of the teams being mentioned. We know what USC could be, but they haven't been that for awhile. ND has been top-tier, but if they come in with 7 other randos, does that really make a big difference in Iowa's season to season prospects?
Like NBR and PSU, if ND enters the BT, they will get a lesson in humility. Remember that they get over rated virtually every year.

Remember the last season of Little House on the Prairie. The show descended into total weirdness. Mr. Edwards adopted an orangutan and in the last episode they literally blew up the town. In 9 season they couldn't come up with anymore scripts to keep people watching.

NCAA Football is dying. This is an attempt to keep people interested.

Attachments

• 1656874406432.png
    1656874406432.png
    610.5 KB · Views: 1
And thank you to KF for me blowing 5k on a worthless trip to pasedena

What was going through your head after Standford's first play from scrimmage?

Were you more impressed with the 3 and out we mustered after that or the defense collapsing and giving up another TD on Standford's second drive?

At what point did you think about maybe possibly leaving early?

Latest posts