Updates from Basketball Banquet

I still don't think cook is "good as gone". I think hes gonna be in for a few wake-up calls from nba scouts

Maybe deep down hes just a baby who wants attention and to be appreciated. So he acts like hes leaving and people beg him to stay and that we will suck without him. Not saying it's true but also wouldn't put it past a 20 year old.

Cook probably always expected to be NBA bound after his sophomore year. There are lots of guys that believe they are NBA material that never make it. It remains to be seen how it turns out for Cook, but he is just a young gifted guy that has been told how great he is all of his life. If he comes back to Iowa, maybe he will realize he has to work on his defense and rebounding instead of making the twenty footers.

Until he comes out and says he’s staying I’m not buying it. Talk is cheap and he’s taking the easiest way out by saying he’s “committed” without actually giving an answer. It’s a way to get everyone off his back.

My take...he gone.

Which is, in my opinion, a bad thing for him because I think the G-League is his ceiling and Europe is more likely. He should get a degree, because he’ll make a lot more money long term with his diploma than he will playing for the Republic of Goatherderstan Falafels.

I'm glad that he's likely coming back. He still has a lot of potential. But when you boil it all down, does a player really need to go to the steps of declaring for the draft just to get the feedback about what he needs to work on to get into the NBA. Wouldn't Iowa's coaching staff be able to tell him that, along with other people in the know? I mean most knowledgeable Hawk fans could tell him with at least 85% accuracy the things he needs to work on to get to the Association.

Yes, but then he wouldn't get the exposure with the NBA folks. Honestly all it can do is help the player become more informed and get his name out there, not to mention it gets the program's name out there more as well. Can't really hurt, can it?

Until he comes out and says he’s staying I’m not buying it. Talk is cheap and he’s taking the easiest way out by saying he’s “committed” without actually giving an answer. It’s a way to get everyone off his back
How many times does he need to answer the same question?

When the same people ask me the same questions again I tell them I’ve already answered.
If they keep at it then, ‘no comment.’

You’re right though, it is a way to get people off their back. It’s also better than saying, “you’re an idiot for asking me the same question again.”

Until he comes out and says he’s staying I’m not buying it. Talk is cheap and he’s taking the easiest way out by saying he’s “committed” without actually giving an answer. It’s a way to get everyone off his back.

My take...he gone.

Which is, in my opinion, a bad thing for him because I think the G-League is his ceiling and Europe is more likely. He should get a degree, because he’ll make a lot more money long term with his diploma than he will playing for the Republic of Goatherderstan Falafels.

The platform you would get to show off your skills to NBA folks by staying at Iowa and having most of your games on TV is far superior to any other choice TC has. It'd be a terrible decision to leave to to the g-league or Europe. Turrible.

This is written by Iowa's sports information director for basketball. Cook declined to be interviewed by the media Tuesday night.

Not that anyone should draw any conclusions from that, just throwing it out there.

The platform you would get to show off your skills to NBA folks by staying at Iowa and having most of your games on TV is far superior to any other choice TC has. It'd be a terrible decision to leave to to the g-league or Europe. Turrible.
Scouts would get sick of that ubiquitous commercial on the BTN where the guy hugs the turtle mascot at the end and would tune out before halftime LOL.

NOTE: there is no wide shot of the Iowa Student Section in that commercial, just one quick close up of a young adult fan. Kind of telling, isn't it Gary? He probably would have preferred a shot of some 75 year old hag eating yogurt knitting her sweater.

Iowa Men’s Basketball is always better the next season when their best player leaves.

That’s why this season was so bad. Our best player didn’t leave last season.

Only program in the country where that is true but the exception proves the rule.

Iowa Men’s Basketball is always better the next season when their best player leaves.

That’s why this season was so bad. Our best player didn’t leave last season.

Only program in the country where that is true but the exception proves the rule.

Must think about that one for a while. "Always better the next season when the best player leaves." That is deep! :confused:o_O

This is written by Iowa's sports information director for basketball. Cook declined to be interviewed by the media Tuesday night.

Not that anyone should draw any conclusions from that, just throwing it out there.

What are your thoughts on why he did it this way?

You guys do know Wisconsin just went to the National title game with one black player (Nigel Hayes), one half black player (Trae Jackson), and one Native American (Koenig)? The rest of their guys were white dudes from the Midwest.

Latest posts