Updates from Basketball Banquet

You guys do know Wisconsin just went to the National title game with one black player (Nigel Hayes), one half black player (Trae Jackson), and one Native American (Koenig)? The rest of their guys were white dudes from the Midwest.

I know man, I am just joking around.

You guys do know Wisconsin just went to the National title game with one black player (Nigel Hayes), one half black player (Trae Jackson), and one Native American (Koenig)? The rest of their guys were white dudes from the Midwest.

They should have been giving some kind of award for accomplishing that feat.

No I get that but I still think you can get most of what you need from your own coaching staff. But I guess even declaring puts yourself in the mindset that you can go to the Association some day so why not.

You must not be a parent. I told my kids what they were capable of and what they needed to work on for years. It wasn't until another authority figure told them the same thing that they actually believed it.

Until he comes out and says he’s staying I’m not buying it. Talk is cheap and he’s taking the easiest way out by saying he’s “committed” without actually giving an answer. It’s a way to get everyone off his back.

My take...he gone.

Which is, in my opinion, a bad thing for him because I think the G-League is his ceiling and Europe is more likely. He should get a degree, because he’ll make a lot more money long term with his diploma than he will playing for the Republic of Goatherderstan Falafels.

I'm not sold on the idea that he his gone. I think he wants honest evaluation from the NBA and then make an informed decision instead of one made on assumptions. (As he stated in the article Robowe linked)

Also, why are you putting down playing in Europe. It pays MUCH better and you can still get noticed by the NBA. This information is 6 years old, but still true as far as the discrepancy. "The worst part about basketball players staying in the USA and playing in the D-league is the fact that most D-league salaries range from only $12,000 to $24,000. Average overseas players can get a $65,000 contract with ease. Depending on the league that players get into in Europe, salaries can start as high as $100,000. Not only is there a big discrepancy between the salaries, but the money made in Europe is typically tax free."

http://sportsagentblog.com/2012/07/...asketball-why-dont-more-players-go-to-europe/

You must not be a parent. I told my kids what they were capable of and what they needed to work on for years. It wasn't until another authority figure told them the same thing that they actually believed it.
Preach! I haven't been able to coach my 17 yr old for 2 years. In spite of the fact that every other coach tells him the similar things that I do. My 15 yr old son listens to my coaching, however. I guess 1 of the 2 isn't bad.

I'm not sold on the idea that he his gone. I think he wants honest evaluation from the NBA and then make an informed decision instead of one made on assumptions. (As he stated in the article Robowe linked)

Also, why are you putting down playing in Europe. It pays MUCH better and you can still get noticed by the NBA. This information is 6 years old, but still true as far as the discrepancy. "The worst part about basketball players staying in the USA and playing in the D-league is the fact that most D-league salaries range from only $12,000 to $24,000. Average overseas players can get a $65,000 contract with ease. Depending on the league that players get into in Europe, salaries can start as high as $100,000. Not only is there a big discrepancy between the salaries, but the money made in Europe is typically tax free."

http://sportsagentblog.com/2012/07/...asketball-why-dont-more-players-go-to-europe/
And they don't pay for room and board overseas. That's how it used to be. 60 to 100K, tax free. No living expenses. The occasional shake downs aside...it's a pretty sweat deal.

Cook is leaving regardless, the way it sounds. That sucks. Lucky to win 16 games next season. At least the roster construction is looking better. But we'll be the youngest team in the conference again.
SRs - Baer
JRs - Bohannon, Kriener, Dailey, Moss, Pemsl (maybe?)
SOs - Nunge, Garza
FR - CMac, CFred, Wieskamp

Cook declined an interview. That hardly means he's leaving. He may very well do just that, but I wouldn't bet, one way or the other, based on his declining an interview at a team banquet.

Cook declined an interview. That hardly means he's leaving. He may very well do just that, but I wouldn't bet, one way or the other, based on his declining an interview at a team banquet.
That's not what I'm basing it on. But what I am basing it on could still be incorrect. So, your point stands.

Preach! I haven't been able to coach my 17 yr old for 2 years. In spite of the fact that every other coach tells him the similar things that I do. My 15 yr old son listens to my coaching, however. I guess 1 of the 2 isn't bad.
Do they go to high school in the Cedar Rapids area? I'm a Dubuque Hempstead grad. I still try to get down there when someone like Pemsl or the McCaffrey brothers or Senior's Noah Carter is passing through. If they're in the MVC, maybe I can see your boys play.

Do they go to high school in the Cedar Rapids area? I'm a Dubuque Hempstead grad. I still try to get down there when someone like Pemsl or the McCaffrey brothers or Senior's Noah Carter is passing through. If they're in the MVC, maybe I can see your boys play.
Yes. If we play Hempstead this year, I'll let you know. My older son plays basketball and my younger son plays football.

You got me there. I am a parent and coach but my son only tends to listen to other coaches.

Maybe Cook thought when he came to Iowa that he'd only be at Iowa a couple of years, then cash in with the NBA. Maybe that will still happen, and maybe sometimes the best laid plans of mice and men go awry. If it's the latter, then it seems his options are 1) come back to Iowa and make yourself a better player and see if that persuades the NBA or 2) go to Europe or the G-League and kiss any realistic chance of making it in the NBA goodbye. I don't have the statistics on it, but my sense is once you head down path 2, not many make it to the NBA. I'd like to see him come back, but I'm pretty sure Tyler Cook doesn't care what homes thinks (nor should he).

What are your thoughts on why he did it this way?

Hard to say without asking him, which we can't.

Could be that he didn't want to have to answer questions from the media? Could be that a day after the banquet, Iowa encouraged him to do the story with it and craft the desired narrative. That seemed to be what happened with Pemsl the day after he told the DMR that he was unsure of his future.

Helped coach my son in youth baseball. About the time he was 11, he wasn't listening to me about something. I went to another coach of our team and said, could you tell me son abc? He replied, only if you tell my son xyz. We both nodded and went on our way. :)
I have a feeling that's not the most unique of scenarios. Pretty good stuff right there.

Helped coach my son in youth baseball. About the time he was 11, he wasn't listening to me about something. I went to another coach of our team and said, could you tell me son abc? He replied, only if you tell my son xyz. We both nodded and went on our way. :)

Almost like something would be wrong if sons didn't act that way this day and age.

Almost like something would be wrong if sons didn't act that way this day and age.

How about taking about a dozen kids to a vacant lot or playground or pasture, throwing all the equipment on the pitchers mound and saying "Enjoy yourselves, the dad's are going to the tavern for a few hours. Pick two captans, choose sides, make your own ground rules, do your own umpiring, keep your own score."

They'd look at you like you just came from Mars.

Yes. If we play Hempstead this year, I'll let you know. My older son plays basketball and my younger son plays football.
I'll go to Wahlert or Dubuque Senior, too. I'm about fifteen minutes from the Hwy 151 bridge into Dubuque. And I've spent many hours in all three gyms.

With about 87 teams in the conference now double round robins are impossible. Patrick Mc Caffery played in Dubuque only once last year. And I was running the scoreboard for a Cuba City game that night.

Latest posts