UNI players ready to take on Hawkeyes

HawkeyeHypnosis

http://www.radioiowa.com/2014/08/25/uni-players-ready-to-take-on-hawkeyes/

From article:

The Panthers say they are no longer fazed by playing against higher competition. “I always like playing those types of games with a redshirt senior group, redshirt junior group, because they’ve been through other battles similar to it. But first-time experience is impactful…hopefully the foundation can override the youth,â€￾ UNI head coach Mark Farley says.

It's as simple as this. Stop Johnson. He is a stud. If he gets going and say they get the lead early that wouldn't be a good thing... He will test this D and LBs out. UNI will find creative ways to get him touches and he will get alot of them. He can catch the ball too. One guy in the open field will have a tough time bringing him down. The matchup does make me nervous in the sense that Iowa's O always seems to start slow and with so much inexperience at LB that if UNI gets up a couple scores early say 10-0 or 14-0 that the snow ball effect/momentum would just be too much. Farley can coach. Not trying to be a debbie downer here but Iowa is going to have to not do what they seem to have normally done in openers in recent years. The O has to come out and not just move the ball and control the clock but put it in the end zone. I don't trust the FG kickers yet either.

It's as simple as this. Stop Johnson. He is a stud. If he gets going and say they get the lead early that wouldn't be a good thing... He will test this D and LBs out. UNI will find creative ways to get him touches and he will get alot of them. He can catch the ball too. One guy in the open field will have a tough time bringing him down. The matchup does make me nervous in the sense that Iowa's O always seems to start slow and with so much inexperience at LB that if UNI gets up a couple scores early say 10-0 or 14-0 that the snow ball effect/momentum would just be too much. Farley can coach. Not trying to be a debbie downer here but Iowa is going to have to not do what they seem to have normally done in openers in recent years. The O has to come out and not just move the ball and control the clock but put it in the end zone. I don't trust the FG kickers yet either.

And that's why I'm nervous. Offense is all about ball control under KFz.

Typically these sorts of games scare me. But not this year. I don't see anyway they can handle our OL plus Weisman/Canzeri for 4 quarters. Their defense is a glaring weakness this year and I think we'll get out in front early....something like 28-3 by halftime and then coast to something around 38-13.

well, Ball State is a lot bigger challenge than UNI. If the hawks sputter...better hope it is because they're having a bad day.

UNI will sell out to stop the run and KF will play along. Unless Iowa's relatively inexperienced receivers (other than KMM) and TE flash big off conservative throws, points won't come fast and furious. I don't anticipate David Johnson ripping us via rushing as much as via YAC. UNI will likely use a short passing game to test Iowa's green LBs. Finally, UNI's lines are as big if not bigger than Iowa's -- and they pass the eye-test, i.e. they don't seem to be of the flabby variety.

I will be happy with a 1-point win if the game helps to check off whatever is on KF's to-do list...so he can deliver a bigger margin of victory in the season finale and beyond and after that and one last time in mid-January.

Last edited:
The notion that the uni back Johnson is the best in the state is absurd. Wiesman had 146 yards to 77 for Johnson in the last game. He was clearly more dominant. Weisman will show that he is more dominant again, and will outgain him unless his carries are very limited. Weisman for Heisman 2014!

The notion that the uni back Johnson is the best in the state is absurd. Wiesman had 146 yards to 77 for Johnson in the last game. He was clearly more dominant. Weisman will show that he is more dominant again, and will outgain him unless his carries are very limited. Weisman for Heisman 2014!

I somewhat agree actually. He is definetly a good player, but he scorched an atrocius isu defense ...that keep in mind... allowed us to run like 15 consecutive run plays or something last year against them.

Had alot of kool aid today I see.... Your right about the stats obviously but this is a new year new D Iowa has going with 3 new LBS and a secondary that has serious questions. They will have to support the run alot this year I'm afraid. I hope that type of performance repeats. But Johnson will be in the NFL next year. Weisman will be a fullback at the next level if he even gets a shot. You know how you decide who's better? What if they swapped em? Johnson would be the starting bell cow at Iowa with or without Weisman there. No debate to that.

If he were that good he would have been offered a scholarship. There are other very talented running backs on the roster that Weisman had to beat for the starting job, so I am not sure thus uni guy who would have only have been a preferred walk on at Iowa would have made his way up the depth chart at all with the possible exception if 2012 following injuries to guys that would have been ahead of him.

I can understand the first game jitters and all......but come on. Just because they beat isu last year. What conference is uni in..........sec big 12 pac 10 12 or 14? We are going to break tendencies this year and roll to a great year! GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!

I'm usually pretty worried...but I am very confident this year...I have been saying it since this spring...If the Hawks are the team I think they are...I wouldn't want to be Nebraska or Wisconsin coming to Kinnick in late November...

This team has the ability to DOMINATE other teams in both trenches. And usually Iowa teams that can do that, fare pretty darn well.

I think for many it is hard to shake the memory of 2009. Perhaps it would make the worriers feel better to recall all of the goofy stuff going on with that 2009 opener. I will need some help on this one, because I don't remember all of the specifics:

• Would have had 2 returning workhorse backs from 2008, but lost Greene to early-entry and lost Hampton to a summer ACL injury. I think Paki O'Meara handled most of the first half, before turning things over to lightly-recruited redshirt freshman Adam Robinson.
  • Didn't Bulaga miss the first few games with that weird medical thing?
  • I remember Greg Castillo getting picked on a lot in his first ever start as a redshirt freshman. I can't remember why he was starting, but I think it was either injury or suspension related.

So in order to make this year like 2009, the Hawks would have to be missing Weisman/Bullock/Canzieri/Daniels and start Akrum Wadley. They would have to be missing Scherff, and they would need to take one of the top corners out of the picture. They needed some luck at the end of that game, but they had a lot of unlucky things going into it.

p.s. - I did not bother to look up the spelling on any of those names above, so sorry if I butchered any

If he were that good he would have been offered a scholarship. There are other very talented running backs on the roster that Weisman had to beat for the starting job, so I am not sure thus uni guy who would have only have been a preferred walk on at Iowa would have made his way up the depth chart at all with the possible exception if 2012 following injuries to guys that would have been ahead of him.

Don't be so naive to think we couldn't miss on 1 recruit.

I'm not willing to say he is or isn't the best back in the state because I don't watch enough UNI games but just because we didn't recruit him doesn't mean he isn't the best back in the state.

It's not like we recruited Weisman out of high school (well to my knowledge).

Don't be so naive to think we couldn't miss on 1 recruit.

I'm not willing to say he is or isn't the best back in the state because I don't watch enough UNI games but just because we didn't recruit him doesn't mean he isn't the best back in the state.

It's not like we recruited Weisman out of high school (well to my knowledge).

Iowa recruited Weisman. I am not sure about this but I don't believe they offered a scholarship and he ended up at Air Force. I think I read that.

Latest posts