unhappy with this season ? whine here

That isn't butt hurt, that is just the facts. Iowa had 2 good road wins in '15, Wisconsin has 0 this year.
We played 2 top 20 teams on the road in '15 and beat both of them. Wisconsin has beaten a 9 win team at home and every road game has been against a sub .500 team for them. On resumes alone our '15 teams > Badgers '17
LOL. Nice “On resumes alone...” Any time you have to qualify your point with a super narrow disclaimer like that you know your point is bunk.

That’s a weak ass argument and suggesting that the Hawks are better than Wisconsin is a joke and you know it. Keep shitting rainbows I guess, there’s not much else to say.

LOL. Nice “On resumes alone...” Any time you have to qualify your point with a super narrow disclaimer like that you know your point is bunk.

That’s a weak ass argument and suggesting that the Hawks are better than Wisconsin is a joke and you know it. Keep shitting rainbows I guess, there’s not much else to say.

CFB playoff poll:
Week 10 2017 Badgers #9
Week 11 2017 Badgers #8
Week 12 2017 Badgers #5

Week 10 2015 Hawks #9
Week 11 2015 Hawks #5

Certainly looks like they eye test doesn't exactly say that Wisconsin is so evidently >> Iowa. Yet Iowa's resume in '15 was leaps and bounds better than Wisconsin. So much so, you aren't even arguing it.

It is what it is, the '15 Hawks > '17 Badgers at this point. If the Badgers beat OSU like we did, I will say that the '17 Badgers > '15 Hawks. When the Badgers get smoked by OSU, maybe you stop with self loathing over the Hawks and see what is clearly evident.

Good lord this is stupid. Do you think Wisconsin fans are talking like this right now heading into the B1G championship game? Only a freaking self loathing Iowa fan tries to downplay a 12-0 regular season.

Man Dean, do you ever stop the ridiculous? 12-0 was great. It wasn't a dominating season, but due to CJ's guts, Iowa did it. Obviously I haven't coached at that level, but when you are undefeated late in a season, everybody from the water girl to the bottom patsy team comes at you like crazy and it's wearing. It makes someone else's disappointing season more memorable to beat the "unbeaten" team. KF doesn't get enough credit for that season asterisk on schedule and all.

All that said, KF has got a lot of other asterisks. In the Rose Bowl, it was quite apparent that Iowa did not prepare adequately for a superstar. The guy wasn't deity, but he was good. Iowa wasn't prepared and if I'm remembering right, tried to play an injured player with limited mobility. KF was slow to recognize what was visible to all of us. That is what drives people insanely upset.

He wasn't prepared for a mediocre TN team with terrific speed. He wasn't prepared for an inept Florida offense that was perfectly capable of making changes in the game. He didn't adjust for Wisky. He kept NW closer than they should have been. I'll give KF MSU.

It's a game of inches. I was surprised to go back and look at the Nebby game. Nebby on D actually a lot of the time had the defenders in the right place, but they just couldn't get a hand on Wadley, but Wisky and others did. Nebby's corners don't like to hit for some reason and that puts the others back on their heals.

How do you evaluate a guy who is so close to having a real consistent power, most always has competitive teams (albeit oft boring but when it works, it's beautiful)....all of that, but he craps all over himself to prove his way. It's maddening.

Next year, there will be several losses on the new LBs. However, KF has quietly been putting together team speed. So in the end, I'm not so worried about it. I think he's going to have some good teams coming up, but yet his stubborn approach will probably get in the way.

KF will continue to be solid and do enough to get by until he gets his team in place and win the way he wants. I can really see this coming. However, in the end he will still be KF and he'll have to play an inexperienced QB or through Freshmen linemen to the wolves and we will be sooo close, but yet so far when someone teams HIS team to pieces.

Man Dean, do you ever stop the ridiculous? 12-0 was great. It wasn't a dominating season, but due to CJ's guts, Iowa did it. Obviously I haven't coached at that level, but when you are undefeated late in a season, everybody from the water girl to the bottom patsy team comes at you like crazy and it's wearing. It makes someone else's disappointing season more memorable to beat the "unbeaten" team. KF doesn't get enough credit for that season asterisk on schedule and all.

All that said, KF has got a lot of other asterisks. In the Rose Bowl, it was quite apparent that Iowa did not prepare adequately for a superstar. The guy wasn't deity, but he was good. Iowa wasn't prepared and if I'm remembering right, tried to play an injured player with limited mobility. KF was slow to recognize what was visible to all of us. That is what drives people insanely upset.

He wasn't prepared for a mediocre TN team with terrific speed. He wasn't prepared for an inept Florida offense that was perfectly capable of making changes in the game. He didn't adjust for Wisky. He kept NW closer than they should have been. I'll give KF MSU.

It's a game of inches. I was surprised to go back and look at the Nebby game. Nebby on D actually a lot of the time had the defenders in the right place, but they just couldn't get a hand on Wadley, but Wisky and others did. Nebby's corners don't like to hit for some reason and that puts the others back on their heals.

How do you evaluate a guy who is so close to having a real consistent power, most always has competitive teams (albeit oft boring but when it works, it's beautiful)....all of that, but he craps all over himself to prove his way. It's maddening.

Next year, there will be several losses on the new LBs. However, KF has quietly been putting together team speed. So in the end, I'm not so worried about it. I think he's going to have some good teams coming up, but yet his stubborn approach will probably get in the way.

KF will continue to be solid and do enough to get by until he gets his team in place and win the way he wants. I can really see this coming. However, in the end he will still be KF and he'll have to play an inexperienced QB or through Freshmen linemen to the wolves and we will be sooo close, but yet so far when someone teams HIS team to pieces.

TLDR (I'll just assume you were your normal arrogant asshole self in this post)

Except for a handful of times (2002, 2003, 2004, maybe 2008, 2009, 2015) I've been disappointed with the season. I don't base it so much on how many W's and L's but who those L's are against vs the team's capabilities and does the team keep improving.

It's approaching a decade where it's a certainty that Iowa's going to underperform in at least 1 game during the season, by it's own terrible game plan, failure to adapt strategy and commitment to offensive dogma. That's LOSING, not getting beat. This year it was 3-1/2 games (NwU, MSU, PU, nearly Minny) When you're capable of beating OSU and Nebby and ISU, you're capable of beating NwU, MSU and Purdue and should be expected to do it; at least get 2 of 3.

This is one of the more disappointing seasons I've watched as a Hawk fan (2nd to 2010) because a team that demonstrated 10-2 capabilities went 7-5 and it was as inconsistent to awful on offense in November as it was in August. (By comparison, the 2013 team, which demonstrated it was probably capable of 7 to 9 wins, actually won 8. Yes, it lost to Northern frickin' Illannoy but it did finish strong and played close to or at its potential in every other game.)

Except for a handful of times (2002, 2003, 2004, maybe 2008, 2009, 2015) I've been disappointed with the season. I don't base it so much on how many W's and L's but who those L's are against vs the team's capabilities and does the team keep improving.

It's approaching a decade where it's a certainty that Iowa's going to underperform in at least 1 game during the season, by it's own terrible game plan, failure to adapt strategy and commitment to offensive dogma. That's LOSING, not getting beat. This year it was 3-1/2 games (NwU, MSU, PU, nearly Minny) When you're capable of beating OSU and Nebby and ISU, you're capable of beating NwU, MSU and Purdue and should be expected to do it; at least get 2 of 3.

This is one of the more disappointing seasons I've watched as a Hawk fan (2nd to 2010) because a team that demonstrated 10-2 capabilities went 7-5 and it was as inconsistent to awful on offense in November as it was in August. (By comparison, the 2013 team, which demonstrated it was probably capable of 7 to 9 wins, actually won 8. Yes, it lost to Northern frickin' Illannoy but it did finish strong and played close to or at its potential in every other game.)

This is totally fair, and would exactly mimic my list. I might add the 2001 season, as we were just getting over a 3 win, 1 win, then 3 win season and 7 wins seemed like a very good upswing there. Yet since then, the '02-'05, '08, '09, and '15 are the really special fun years.

TLDR (I'll just assume you were your normal arrogant asshole self in this post)

Well, I don't use a Big Chief and Crayon. I forgot my intended poster's limitation.

Summary. Don't you ever
shopping

upload_2017-11-27_11-33-39.jpeg is upload_2017-11-27_11-34-10.png

He has moments like
images

But struggles too much with teams likeupload_2017-11-27_11-40-38.jpeg

Since this is opinion here's mine.

Very disappointed in the outcome. Beyond the predictions going into the season and what "I expected" it infuriates me to look back and think to myself that I enjoyed watching ISU's conference games this season more than our games. Sure I got great enjoyment out of blowing out OSU and Nebby, but that only made the offensive performances versus PSU, NW, Wiscy, and Purdue burn that much more.

I'm no longer a KF fan, but love the Hawkeyes like so many others on here. But uufortunately I can't get the 60 yards of total offense from the Wiscy game, or the lack of offense against NW, PSU, and NW games out of my head. Sure there were some positives, but we looked good half the season and incredibly bad the other half which gets us to our final record.

My apologies for being bitter and unhappy with where we ended up at the end of the year. I simply see the bad outweighing the good performances at this time and have too many major concerns going forward to be happy about where we ended up.

Since this is opinion here's mine.

Very disappointed in the outcome. Beyond the predictions going into the season and what "I expected" it infuriates me to look back and think to myself that I enjoyed watching ISU's conference games this season more than our games. Sure I got great enjoyment out of blowing out OSU and Nebby, but that only made the offensive performances versus PSU, NW, Wiscy, and Purdue burn that much more.

I'm no longer a KF fan, but love the Hawkeyes like so many others on here. But uufortunately I can't get the 60 yards of total offense from the Wiscy game, or the lack of offense against NW, PSU, and NW games out of my head. Sure there were some positives, but we looked good half the season and incredibly bad the other half which gets us to our final record.

My apologies for being bitter and unhappy with where we ended up at the end of the year. I simply see the bad outweighing the good performances at this time and have too many major concerns going forward to be happy about where we ended up.

Bitter? Powerful word...

Honestly, to make pre-season predictions is silly. The typical fan of a typical fan base doesn't know enough about the other teams to accurately assess games. It's a snapshot static situation, more or less based on the eye test of the rosters and past reputations.

Once the season begins, it's fluid. Injuries occur, teams falter, teams over-achieve, suspensions occur, coaches get fired, miracle plays unfold, weather happens, etc etc.

I look back at 7-5, and knowing what I now know, we should have been 9-3. Taking all the above into account, we underachieved.

9-3 was my prediction before the season began. Two very talented running backs, one of the best offensive lines in the nation, a promising young QB starting, and the best linebacking in the conference.

^^^^^^^^^ this is truth ^^^^^^^^^^

When so many were boo hooing over stoops I was supporting KF and saying be patient as I am somewhat a traditional type of thinker in that the games are won in the trenches. I felt once KF brought coaching of the lines up to snuff that things would turn around. I looked like a genius in years four, five, and six.

Out of the corners of our eyes we were watching and concerned about the NFL swooping in and our AD had the same concerns. Recruiting had jumped forward as some of the best players in the nation committed to Iowa. At first glance it appeared Kirk was building a dynasty and when our AD offered an outlandish contract to Kirk many were shocked at the length and breath of it but still we were thinking dynasty and so not too many were vocally objecting to it. We soon found out that all that glitters is not gold as the program soon fell back into just an average B1G team. Would such a high pay scale and length of contract be given for an AVERAGE coaching performance? I don’t think so. Yet we had seen what he had did and hoped it would repeat on a consistent basis. There were peaks that we all liked and also there were valleys.

I am ready for a revitalization if the football program. I had hoped that Bryan would be a catalyst in the process and found myself on that same roller coaster that his dad has been taking us on. OSU was the peak and Purdue was the valley.

I have been very hesitant so say what I am about to say. Many esteem Kirk as an up and up guy and I have been one of them. However at some point in any profession there has to be accountability. Where pay scales are justified or else you start to wonder into murky waters of immorality and unethical conduct. He is very close to that point. The university of Iowa has paid him generously over the years and they owe Kirk and/or any of his family absolutely nothing. Just the opposite is true. His family should with deep gratitude recognize what great support he has received from the University and the fans.

I can not deny he hasn’t to some extent as they have generously given back donations here and there. However that doesn’t make up for failure to perform in his profession at a level in which he was originally contracted to do at the end of his seventh year. He was not given that mega raise and long contract to be a consistent 7-5 guy with repeated bowl losses. Anyone who thinks that has got some screws loose. There should be a more highly occurance of 10-2 and 9-3 seasons and at least 11-2 and 10-3 seasons after a big bowl win. Thus the four million a year contract with additional bonuses. Yes, a rebuild year of 7-5 or 6-6 can happen but it in should be just that a rebuild year not the norm. The bowl losses are particularly painful to watch.

I just wish he would graciously step down or retire and say thank you Iowa for what you did for me and my family. The longer he waits the murkier the water will become.

Now that I have said this watch out for a 11-2 season next year. I know it’s highly unlikely but that is what Kirk does. Just when your sick of mediocrity he surprises everyone with a great unexpected season. The only thing is when your getting paid among the best in any profession those seasons should happen on a more consistent basis and that’s cruxed of the matter. It frustrating as hell.

Last edited:
My prediction was 6-6. So what made me disappointed was we beat osu badly then lose to shitty Purdue. Would have like to seen more consistency, but I knew that wasn't gonna happen with an oc who is learning on the job. The d was a very bright spot.

My prediction was 6-6. So what made me disappointed was we beat osu badly then lose to shitty Purdue. Would have like to seen more consistency, but I knew that wasn't gonna happen with an oc who is learning on the job. The d was a very bright spot.

Just curious. Would you have been happier losing to OSU and beating Purdue and being 7-5?

Just curious. Would you have been happier losing to OSU and beating Purdue and being 7-5?

Great question. Based on the various replies, including mine, I think the answer for most is, "A little."

A little nonsensical? Maybe. I think it reveals how realistic and accepting most fans - even the Josh's - really are.

It's not that we expect to beat OhST (or top 5 Michigan or Penn State). When Hawks do, it's GLORIOUS, for sure! However, we absolutely, unapologetically expect to beat inferior teams - all of the time - and at least split with peer teams. Do that and you're consistently at 8-4, minimum. (I'd like to think it's more like 9-3 because I'd like to think that Iowa, with all it's resources, facilities, fan support and coaching stability is closer to an upper tier program that reloads more than rebuilds.) That's not delusional "national championship", that's just taking care of business.

The rub is once you demonstrate that level of capability, there's no excuse for such horrific regression and underperformance, ala NwU, MSU, Purdue, almost Minny, 1st 1/2 Illannoy. It occurs so frequently, so reliably, every season, that IT has become my only expectation.

That's what I lay at the feet of derKirkFer's dogmatic, inneffective strategy. That's why I have wanted him to not be Iowa's head coach for going on a dozen years.