unhappy with this season ? whine here

Per usual, always running your mouth, but too afraid to answer the question.

So 2 years removed from a 12-2 season we should fire a guy for 8 wins in '16 and 7/8 wins in '17? Is that our new standard?

Also to say a guy "lucks" his way into BCS bowl appearances, or top 10 finishes is crazy stupid, even for you.

No, our standard is going on 20 years of meh football. KF did amazing things in 2000-2004, because he didn't come across as knowing it all. He repeated the Hayden Fry model. He hired amazing assistants. Seriously, look at the staff from those years. They rival Hayden's staff.

Those assistants left, and luckily Norm did not. We haven't been respected since his passing.

Either our standard should be to compete for the big10 championship (which in turn will put us in talk of the playoff most years), or the season we just had, which is like a majority of KF led teams.

We'll finish 7-5 with a great win against a top 10 team, but also lose to the bottom feeders of the conference

Thought we'd be better during regular season and beat NW, beat Purdue, and Michigan State with a chance at Wisconsin. BF I expected to be better, i.e. more steady and more improvement seen as season progressed. They didn't fall too short of my expectations, but saw a lot of potential left on the table. A lot of dropped passes, periods of poor blocking and play calling doomed us from achieving what could have been. Win the bowl game, kick butt and finish on a high note then improve our coaching ability on the O side from this year to next. That would be a great thing.

No, our standard is going on 20 years of meh football. KF did amazing things in 2000-2004, because he didn't come across as knowing it all. He repeated the Hayden Fry model. He hired amazing assistants. Seriously, look at the staff from those years. They rival Hayden's staff.

Those assistants left, and luckily Norm did not. We haven't been respected since his passing.

Either our standard should be to compete for the big10 championship (which in turn will put us in talk of the playoff most years), or the season we just had, which is like a majority of KF led teams.

We'll finish 7-5 with a great win against a top 10 team, but also lose to the bottom feeders of the conference
It's fine to not be satisfied with their win-loss record, I'm not, but it's not accurate to call their losses to the "bottom feeders" of the conference. Their losses came to a 12 win team, a 10 win team, 2 9 win teams and a 6 win team. Not bottom feeders by any definition.

It's fine to not be satisfied with their win-loss record, I'm not, but it's not accurate to call their losses to the "bottom feeders" of the conference. Their losses came to a 12 win team, a 10 win team, 2 9 win teams and a 6 win team. Not bottom feeders by any definition.

Last year they beat Michigan. A top ranked team.
They also lost to an FCS squad.
Do I really need to remind you of all the years KF lost to crappy cyclone and gopher teams?

Last year they beat Michigan. A top ranked team.
They also lost to an FCS squad.
Do I really need to remind you of all the years KF lost to crappy cyclone and gopher teams?
He was talking about this year. I'm only responding to his post, not trying to expand it into a different conversation. Trying to stay focused here.

Again you show your inability to comprehend. I have never called for KF to be fired. He is given too long of a leash to trip over. Who said lucks? Suppose you are going to edit my post in a reply again.
What do you do with a guy who keeps tripping over the long leash he’s given?

Great question. Based on the various replies, including mine, I think the answer for most is, "A little."

A little nonsensical? Maybe. I think it reveals how realistic and accepting most fans - even the Josh's - really are.

It's not that we expect to beat OhST (or top 5 Michigan or Penn State). When Hawks do, it's GLORIOUS, for sure! However, we absolutely, unapologetically expect to beat inferior teams - all of the time - and at least split with peer teams. Do that and you're consistently at 8-4, minimum. (I'd like to think it's more like 9-3 because I'd like to think that Iowa, with all it's resources, facilities, fan support and coaching stability is closer to an upper tier program that reloads more than rebuilds.) That's not delusional "national championship", that's just taking care of business.

The rub is once you demonstrate that level of capability, there's no excuse for such horrific regression and underperformance, ala NwU, MSU, Purdue, almost Minny, 1st 1/2 Illannoy. It occurs so frequently, so reliably, every season, that IT has become my only expectation.

That's what I lay at the feet of derKirkFer's dogmatic, inneffective strategy. That's why I have wanted him to not be Iowa's head coach for going on a dozen years.
Great question. Based on the various replies, including mine, I think the answer for most is, "A little."

A little nonsensical? Maybe. I think it reveals how realistic and accepting most fans - even the Josh's - really are.

It's not that we expect to beat OhST (or top 5 Michigan or Penn State). When Hawks do, it's GLORIOUS, for sure! However, we absolutely, unapologetically expect to beat inferior teams - all of the time - and at least split with peer teams. Do that and you're consistently at 8-4, minimum. (I'd like to think it's more like 9-3 because I'd like to think that Iowa, with all it's resources, facilities, fan support and coaching stability is closer to an upper tier program that reloads more than rebuilds.) That's not delusional "national championship", that's just taking care of business.

The rub is once you demonstrate that level of capability, there's no excuse for such horrific regression and underperformance, ala NwU, MSU, Purdue, almost Minny, 1st 1/2 Illannoy. It occurs so frequently, so reliably, every season, that IT has become my only expectation.

That's what I lay at the feet of derKirkFer's dogmatic, inneffective strategy. That's why I have wanted him to not be Iowa's head coach for going on a dozen years.
No.

Beating Purdue 56-24 and losing to OSU 24-15 is not better than the inverse

I would have to agree, but losing to Purdue did put a lot of water on the fire.

What do you do with a guy who keeps tripping over the long leash he’s been given?
“Hawkgold” said:
Dean or KF?
Obvious
It's fair to think KF is given a lot of leash for performance. ....
The guy has had some great years in spite of himself. ....

I said he's given a long leash. He trips over it.
So what do you do?

Nothing we can do. We are who we are. Nothing changes nor will it. This team is a soon to see a 7-6 ending. Another abysmal poorly prepared bowl team for the umpteenth time you will likely all agree is probable. Beating Ohio St and Nebraska is something you rarely see out of 500 team. This season represents the most coaching breakdowns we have seen in the last 19 years however and should be a cause for frustration. We run reverses still ..to the least athletic players on the field and from not behind a tackle but form the far side of the field ala 1974, we never blitz (most teams average 30/40 a game in the year 2017), we run the power I,(at least its not the wishbone), we play linebackers on WRs every game, creating massive mismatches. We have difficult times coaching the simplistic plays IE catching and/or returning a punt. We have a punter who can do everything ..but punt. With KF its always perplexing, but he is indeed proven to big a class act and wins more than he losses so things could be worse or ........better.....but we wont know. So in the meantime lets hope the last game of the year is not the norm.

What do you do with a guy who keeps tripping over the long leash he’s been given?

Obvious
So what do you do?

Well to start with the incentives are pretty low level. Could include a higher level and offensive output incentives. Maybe higher margin of victory. Mostly raise the bar. I doubt he was going anywhere.

Well to start with the incentives are pretty low level. Could include a higher level and offensive output incentives. Maybe higher margin of victory. Mostly raise the bar. I doubt he was going anywhere.
So your tightening the leash is “could” be a higher level of generic non-descriptive and offensive output incentives and “maybe” larger margin of victories.

Sounds Barta-esque to me.

So your tightening the leash is “could” be a higher level of generic non-descriptive and offensive output incentives and “maybe” larger margin of victories.

Sounds Barta-esque to me.

There was nothing much for stretching out of the comfort zone in the contract.

Latest posts