unhappy with this season ? whine here

Great question. Based on the various replies, including mine, I think the answer for most is, "A little."

A little nonsensical? Maybe. I think it reveals how realistic and accepting most fans - even the Josh's - really are.

It's not that we expect to beat OhST (or top 5 Michigan or Penn State). When Hawks do, it's GLORIOUS, for sure! However, we absolutely, unapologetically expect to beat inferior teams - all of the time - and at least split with peer teams. Do that and you're consistently at 8-4, minimum. (I'd like to think it's more like 9-3 because I'd like to think that Iowa, with all it's resources, facilities, fan support and coaching stability is closer to an upper tier program that reloads more than rebuilds.) That's not delusional "national championship", that's just taking care of business.

The rub is once you demonstrate that level of capability, there's no excuse for such horrific regression and underperformance, ala NwU, MSU, Purdue, almost Minny, 1st 1/2 Illannoy. It occurs so frequently, so reliably, every season, that IT has become my only expectation.

That's what I lay at the feet of derKirkFer's dogmatic, inneffective strategy. That's why I have wanted him to not be Iowa's head coach for going on a dozen years.

I get this. I don't necessarily think like that myself, but everyone is different. Taking away that OSU beatdown this year would take so much joy from me I guess. While losing to Purdue sucked ballz (for me at least) Throwing a beating on OSU is more enjoyable to me than beating Purdue. So if I had to pick one to win, I'd rather beat OSU personally.

Wow, I didn't think you were this stupid either......I guess this is the first time you actually proved me wrong.

HTTPS9tZWRpYS50ZW5vci5jby9pbWFnZXMvMjQzNjI0MjRhM2QxOTI5MTBhNWE4NTBmMmU2NDc3NDcvcmF3.gif

Just curious. Would you have been happier losing to OSU and beating Purdue and being 7-5?

That’s a provocative thought.

I would have been happy to have beaten Northwestern and Purdue and be at 9-3 right now. Win the New Years Day bowl game and end the year at 10-3. I would think at that point KF is making progress in the right direction. Plus the team has a lot of youth on it and the recruiting would be looking good too. Instead we lose to Northwestern and Purdue and Kirk looks like the same ole Kirk at 7-5.

I really believe IOWA can compete at a higher level given our facilities and fan base. To be honest the style of play has become boring and predictable. How bad is it that when our quarterback calls an audible all he is doing is calling out blocking assignments for a play that will 99.99999999% of the time be a running play. Totally predicatable and as soon as the ball is snapped the defense is bringing the house.

I would have been happy to have beaten Northwestern and Purdue and be at 9-3 right now. Win the New Years Day bowl game and end the year at 10-3. I would think at that point KF is making progress in the right direction. Plus the team has a lot of youth on it and the recruiting would be looking good too. Instead we lose to Northwestern and Purdue and Kirk looks like the same ole Kirk at 7-5.

I really believe IOWA can compete at a higher level given our facilities and fan base. To be honest the style of play has become boring and predictable. How bad is it that when our quarterback calls an audible all he is doing is calling out blocking assignments for a play that will 99.99999999% of the time be a running play. Totally predicatable and as soon as the ball is snapped the defense is bringing the house.

<<I really believe IOWA can compete at a higher level given our facilities and fan base>>

I will believe that, too, once the rules change to allow facilities and fan bases to enter onto the field of play. :)

Man Dean, do you ever stop the ridiculous? 12-0 was great. It wasn't a dominating season, but due to CJ's guts, Iowa did it. Obviously I haven't coached at that level, but when you are undefeated late in a season, everybody from the water girl to the bottom patsy team comes at you like crazy and it's wearing. It makes someone else's disappointing season more memorable to beat the "unbeaten" team. KF doesn't get enough credit for that season asterisk on schedule and all.

All that said, KF has got a lot of other asterisks. In the Rose Bowl, it was quite apparent that Iowa did not prepare adequately for a superstar. The guy wasn't deity, but he was good. Iowa wasn't prepared and if I'm remembering right, tried to play an injured player with limited mobility. KF was slow to recognize what was visible to all of us. That is what drives people insanely upset.

He wasn't prepared for a mediocre TN team with terrific speed. He wasn't prepared for an inept Florida offense that was perfectly capable of making changes in the game. He didn't adjust for Wisky. He kept NW closer than they should have been. I'll give KF MSU.

It's a game of inches. I was surprised to go back and look at the Nebby game. Nebby on D actually a lot of the time had the defenders in the right place, but they just couldn't get a hand on Wadley, but Wisky and others did. Nebby's corners don't like to hit for some reason and that puts the others back on their heals.

How do you evaluate a guy who is so close to having a real consistent power, most always has competitive teams (albeit oft boring but when it works, it's beautiful)....all of that, but he craps all over himself to prove his way. It's maddening.

Next year, there will be several losses on the new LBs. However, KF has quietly been putting together team speed. So in the end, I'm not so worried about it. I think he's going to have some good teams coming up, but yet his stubborn approach will probably get in the way.

KF will continue to be solid and do enough to get by until he gets his team in place and win the way he wants. I can really see this coming. However, in the end he will still be KF and he'll have to play an inexperienced QB or through Freshmen linemen to the wolves and we will be sooo close, but yet so far when someone teams HIS team to pieces.

Kirk is All Myopic Coach of the Year...often.

It is a problem...that can leave you left in the dust as a coach.

As I remember I picked Iowa to be 6-6 before the season. In the end the team ended up being about what we thought they would be. A very young team with flashes of brilliance and moments of WTH! Losing two top offensive tackles changed a lot of things. But now Iowa has two guys with an year of experience for next year. Two very big guys who can be top tackles for the next 3 years.

Iowa showed who they were against Wisconsin. A very young team. They got lucky against Penn State and Ohio State. Penn State had an off day and Ohio State over looked Iowa.

All in all it was a decent season. Lot of good memories. Lot of WTF moments. . We all get frustrated with the team. But it's our choice to be a Hawkeye fan or not. Go Hawks.

I don't think you will find a fan that didn't want ADDITIONAL wins. The question is if we are going to have a 7-5 record is it better to beat OSU than it is to beat Purdue? For me that is a yes.

You need an extra win somewhere to make that record 9-3, just switching those 3 games would give us a 8-4 record.

I would trade the loses to Purdue, Penn State (or MSU), and Northwestern for the Ohio State win as a 9-3 record does look much better for the reasons you list. An 8-4 record doesn't move me much over 7-5 and I think we'd still be looking at the Music City Bowl. So I'll keep the thrashing of Ohio State, it's been the highlight of the season for me.

^^^^^^^^^ this is truth ^^^^^^^^^^

When so many were boo hooing over stoops I was supporting KF and saying be patient as I am somewhat a traditional type of thinker in that the games are won in the trenches. I felt once KF brought coaching of the lines up to snuff that things would turn around. I looked like a genius in years four, five, and six.

Out of the corners of our eyes we were watching and concerned about the NFL swooping in and our AD had the same concerns. Recruiting had jumped forward as some of the best players in the nation committed to Iowa. At first glance it appeared Kirk was building a dynasty and when our AD offered an outlandish contract to Kirk many were shocked at the length and breath of it but still we were thinking dynasty and so not too many were vocally objecting to it. We soon found out that all that glitters is not gold as the program soon fell back into just an average B1G team. Would such a high pay scale and length of contract be given for an AVERAGE coaching performance? I don’t think so. Yet we had seen what he had did and hoped it would repeat on a consistent basis. There were peaks that we all liked and also there were valleys.

I am ready for a revitalization if the football program. I had hoped that Bryan would be a catalyst in the process and found myself on that same roller coaster that his dad has been taking us on. OSU was the peak and Purdue was the valley.

I have been very hesitant so say what I am about to say. Many esteem Kirk as an up and up guy and I have been one of them. However at some point in any profession there has to be accountability. Where pay scales are justified or else you start to wonder into murky waters of immorality and unethical conduct. He is very close to that point. The university of Iowa has paid him generously over the years and they owe Kirk and/or any of his family absolutely nothing. Just the opposite is true. His family should with deep gratitude recognize what great support he has received from the University and the fans.

I can not deny he hasn’t to some extent as they have generously given back donations here and there. However that doesn’t make up for failure to perform in his profession at a level in which he was originally contracted to do at the end of his seventh year. He was not given that mega raise and long contract to be a consistent 7-5 guy with repeated bowl losses. Anyone who thinks that has got some screws loose. There should be a more highly occurance of 10-2 and 9-3 seasons and at least 11-2 and 10-3 seasons after a big bowl win. Thus the four million a year contract with additional bonuses. Yes, a rebuild year of 7-5 or 6-6 can happen but it in should be just that a rebuild year not the norm. The bowl losses are particularly painful to watch.

I just wish he would graciously step down or retire and say thank you Iowa for what you did for me and my family. The longer he waits the murkier the water will become.

Now that I have said this watch out for a 11-2 season next year. I know it’s highly unlikely but that is what Kirk does. Just when your sick of mediocrity he surprises everyone with a great unexpected season. The only thing is when your getting paid among the best in any profession those seasons should happen on a more consistent basis and that’s cruxed of the matter. It frustrating as hell.

What does it say about the big donors, leadership, and the fan base that we allow it to keep rolling on...high dollars, average, under performance?

What does it say about the big donors, leadership, and the fan base that we allow it to keep rolling on...high dollars, average, under performance?

This should probably be a whole different thread, but I will ask anyway.

So 2 years removed from a 12-2 season we should fire a guy for 8 wins in '16 and 7/8 wins in '17? Is that our new standard? You do realize that if Fry was held to that standard, he would have been fired in '89 as he won 10 games in '87, then won 6 games in '88 and only 5 games in '89.

This should probably be a whole different thread, but I will ask anyway.

So 2 years removed from a 12-2 season we should fire a guy for 8 wins in '16 and 7/8 wins in '17? Is that our new standard? You do realize that if Fry was held to that standard, he would have been fired in '89 as he won 10 games in '87, then won 6 games in '88 and only 5 games in '89.

You keep repeating the same rhetoric. What is at issue are things like NDSU, Rose Bowl, Outback, 66 yards, NW, repeated going to the short side on audibles, repeatedly not burning stacked on the line D's and so on.

How you got your post statement from this: What does it say about the big donors, leadership, and the fan base that we allow it to keep rolling on...high dollars, average, under performance? Does not say what you are saying it says.

It's fair to think KF is given a lot of leash for performance. Take out the 12-2 season (or even keep it in if you want) and look at the performance since the 09 season. Take CJ out of 12-2 and what do you have with a weak schedule. He didn't even want CJ to play. He really didn't want Banks and he really was reluctant on Stanzi.

The guy has had some great years in spite of himself. The Hawks do get ridiculed on TV. It's just so darn obvious. You are either blind or a troll.

And I did not call for him to be fired. I said he's given a long leash. He trips over it.

You keep repeating the same rhetoric. What is at issue are things like NDSU, Rose Bowl, Outback, 66 yards, NW, repeated going to the short side on audibles, repeatedly not burning stacked on the line D's and so on.

How you got your post statement from this: What does it say about the big donors, leadership, and the fan base that we allow it to keep rolling on...high dollars, average, under performance? Does not say what you are saying it says.

It's fair to think KF is given a lot of leash for performance. Take out the 12-2 season (or even keep it in if you want) and look at the performance since the 09 season. Take CJ out of 12-2 and what do you have with a weak schedule. He didn't even want CJ to play. He really didn't want Banks and he really was reluctant on Stanzi.

The guy has had some great years in spite of himself. The Hawks do get ridiculed on TV. It's just so darn obvious. You are either blind or a troll.

And I did not call for him to be fired. I said he's given a long leash. He trips over it.

Per usual, always running your mouth, but too afraid to answer the question.

So 2 years removed from a 12-2 season we should fire a guy for 8 wins in '16 and 7/8 wins in '17? Is that our new standard?

Also to say a guy "lucks" his way into BCS bowl appearances, or top 10 finishes is crazy stupid, even for you.

Per usual, always running your mouth, but too afraid to answer the question.

So 2 years removed from a 12-2 season we should fire a guy for 8 wins in '16 and 7/8 wins in '17? Is that our new standard?

Also to say a guy "lucks" his way into BCS bowl appearances, or top 10 finishes is crazy stupid, even for you.

Again you show your inability to comprehend. I have never called for KF to be fired. He is given too long of a leash to trip over. Who said lucks? Suppose you are going to edit my post in a reply again.

Again you show your inability to comprehend. I have never called for KF to be fired. He is given too long of a leash to trip over. Who said lucks? Suppose you are going to edit my post in a reply again.

So you are just another KF apologist then, got it.