UI to Further Refine Efforts to Improve Game Day Experience

Can someone please tell me where anything the University put out says "No Drinking Game" or specifies no tippie cup or beer pong? Was that in any of thier media releases or in the letters to season ticket holders?

New drinking game: Every time you see a citation written you have to shotgun a beer. That should throw em for a loop!

Also, if you're going to drink a brew while walking from your tailgating spot to Kinnick, make sure you have it in a cup with a lid. An officer told us that they won't smell your drink if it has a lid on it(we were using Kum n Go cups and drinking it with straws). Without a lid, you may get a fine. Take that FWIW.

Im buying Kum & Go stock because those plastic cups are going to become very popular

"Socially Unacceptable Behavior" = Deliberately vague terminology which will lead to abuse of discretion by security officials. Bank it. Thank God for cell phones and Youtube.

New drinking game: Every time you see a citation written you have to shotgun a beer. That should throw em for a loop!

Actually this is a great idea. Only it should be changed that anytime you, or see someone, being hassled by law enforcement you must shotgun a beer. Man we need to get the word out about this.

What I find is funny is how it is legal for them to let you drink a beer ( that they didn't sell you) but they think they can control how you consume that beer. Any attorneys out there? You either say what you can and can't drink but how can they control how you drink it? Now if one's actions are illegal in result of too much consumption I understand that and am in favor of enforcing legal behaviors but how can you enforce consumption behaviors especially if you do not sell the drink?

Are the new rules for tailgating only for the public lots and university properties? We tailgate about a 1/2 block of Melrose on Golfview at a private residence and the only time we saw cops were around 7 am when we arrived , unless we went down to Melrose.

What I find is funny is how it is legal for them to let you drink a beer ( that they didn't sell you) but they think they can control how you consume that beer. Any attorneys out there? You either say what you can and can't drink but how can they control how you drink it? Now if one's actions are illegal in result of too much consumption I understand that and am in favor of enforcing legal behaviors but how can you enforce consumption behaviors especially if you do not sell the drink?

"Open container."

That's how they win on this one.

Granted the only thing this media release did was say you get an extra hour to tailgate after the game for 11:00 A.M. starts. Along with changing how the gate is going to be ran. But I am cautiously optimistic that behind the scenes their is directive to police officers that this week it will not be guilty until proven innocent like it was last week.

I know with all police officers there is always the jerk officers and the decent ones (just like all professions). In years past you had your jerk officers but there was also a group of officers that would socialize with tailgaters in a non looking to bust you kind of way. I hope this week we get back to that.

Last edited:
...in the interest of preserving public safety and property in the parking areas and at stadium gates...

Yeah, right.

translation ... the donors kicked my *** all week, so I partially give in

+1

Must have been some big donors complaining to have the U of I admitting that things did not go well last weekend. It will be interesting to see what everyone has to say about this weeks game day experience.

We tried walking up to the guy scanning the tickets holding our bottles of unopened water, we were told we needed to stand in the search line which wrapped around the corner of the stadium. Honestly how hard is it to search a bottle of water, it's transparent. Rather than standing in line we tossed them and spent $7 on two bottles of water in the stadium, so I guess they won, alterior motive? Possibly

We tried walking up to the guy scanning the tickets holding our bottles of unopened water, we were told we needed to stand in the search line which wrapped around the corner of the stadium. Honestly how hard is it to search a bottle of water, it's transparent. Rather than standing in line we tossed them and spent $7 on two bottles of water in the stadium, so I guess they won, alterior motive? Possibly

students bring in vodka all the time in water bottles

Open conatiner?
Guy A in Finkbine is holding an open beer can and is drinking it. Guy B in Finkbine is holding an open beer can, pours it in a funnell and drinks it. Guy B gets a ticket.

What? How can that be legal? I am serioulsy asking that and I am asking any attorney for their legal opinion. I do not do that anymore and could care less but just want to know how they can legally enforce "how" you consume a beer.

I dont know that they will give you a ticket, but they will kick you off their property which is their right.

holding our bottles of unopened water

students bring in vodka all the time in water bottles

*facepalm*

Since as far as I know they're not making you open the bottle so they can take a swig, it doesn't really matter if the water is replaced with vodka. If it appears unopened, then to them it's unopened, and they don't need you to stand in a long line to have the lid eyeballed.

Keep giving the Iowa City Police Department rope and they will eventually hang themselves. The real problem here is that the University is giving the IC police more power. Every single one of us has heard people complain about these police and how they are overbearing cowboys. Certainly seems like they have a history of targeting players. What drives me nuts is when people try to argue they are always just doing their jobs... Sure they are sometimes and rightfully so, but what about instances like Bernstine?

I won't pretend like I was at the game Sat. because I wasn't but it certainly sounds familiar. I went to school there and witnessed 2 arrests in town that were unnecessary. By creating these new rules the University is giving these cops more power to abuse, and abuse it they will. Like a previous poster said, eventually someone with a video phone will catch cops abusing their new power and it will turn into a shitstorm. Either that, or the University will get tired of the complaints and possible loss in donations. Not sure which will come first.

I wasn't at Saturdays game either, but its rediculus to do this when there haven't been any out of the ordinary incidents. If they don't want drinking in U of I parking lots, post it, then enforce. But to release the hounds because of a whim?

Latest posts