UI refuses to grant press credentials to Harty and Howe

Disagree Racer. I don't see why Iowa should just give out press passes to anyone with a blog or website. Heck I would start a blog now if I could get press passes by doing so.

Dean,

I found your hat buddy.............

is

Well when Capt Kirk is CEO and runs everything in the department, what did you expect? Snort that's football.

Disagree Racer. I don't see why Iowa should just give out press passes to anyone with a blog or website. Heck I would start a blog now if I could get press passes by doing so.

Exactly. And what has anyone really ever learned from a reporter or blogger stumbling around the press box or sideline during a game anyway? I can't believe the number of people issued photo passes. All of them stumbling around the field and not sure why local stations send camera persons now when all the games are on tv. Maybe they pay less by sending someone to get video rather than showing the broadcasters video as a replay. I just don't have a lot of sympathy for those types at the games any more. I think it was more useful 40 years ago then now. Everything is on tv live now with instant capture and replay capability. And radio captures it live and gets the interviews after the game. Press could still interview players later on. Like every one is trying to get the all time question asked and answered.

I've never oooohhhh'd and ahhhhhh'd at the photos the Gazette has in the paper on Sundays. Not once. And generally the story is old old news by then. It's already been read online, watched on tv or listened to on the radio.

Well the guys at the CR paper were pretty blunt about the team in their podcast. The word suck was used about 10 times. Can't be anymore blunt than that. Will Gary go after them?

Best way you get back at the CR paper then is to go out this season and not suck. That would put egg on their faces. Much better to do it that way instead of doing this, which makes Barta and Kirk look a bit petulent.

I think this was nothing more than a warning shot fired to all of the media...print and electronic....Barta HAS to know that things on and off the field could get REALLY bad, and that for once the media will have no choice but to report the ugly truth as is really is. Just my take on it.

Last edited:
Per Moorehouse on Marty and Miller they have passes now. Moorehouse also said there are too many people with passes that shouldn't have them (not Harty or Howe...he felt they should have them).

These guys are truly terrible (turrible, as Hayden would say) at public relations and connecting with an audience of consumers in what is essentially an entertainment industry for us, the fans.

I can't imagine this flying well in a market other than good ol' Ioway.

They really do come off as inept at times.

So do they open themselves up to legal action if they say yes to one blog/website operation and no to others? If so, then I certainly understand the decision completely. Even w/o legal repercussions I understand you're headed for a mess if you start picking who gets a green light and who doesn't.......even when you have a strong record of covering the Hawks from previous affiliations.

They were complaining about the pressbox food in their last podcast. I'm guessing they'll be doing less of that from now on.

I think this was nothing more than a warning shot fired to all of the media...print and electronic....Barta HAS to know that things on and off the field could get REALLY bad, and that for once the media will have no choice but to report the ugly truth as is really is. Just my take on it.

If this was indeed a warning shot, hopefully Jon doesn't request press credentials anytime soon. Woof!!

I don't think it has been a secret that Howe has slowly worn away his welcome. He definitely made himself look like a moron with the whole DJK fiasco. That was by far his biggest mistake. Also, I'm not positive on this but I think he was the reporter that Ferentz lost his cool on.

If you're referring to the incident that Chris Hassel caught on video, that was the AP reporter, Luke Meredith.

Wow, 300 subscribers. With that kind of cash flowing in, I'm surprised they would still work, and not be sailing around the Bahamas in their yachts with supermodels.

Wow, 300 subscribers. With that kind of cash flowing in, I'm surprised they would still work, and not be sailing around the Bahamas in their yachts with supermodels.

Given the market saturation and how new they are and the fact they are competing against media conglomerate giants, I would say their growth is more than just respectable. It's very impressive.

LOL at those who thought this denial came from KF. Harty and Howe came out and thanked Brian and KF for interviewing and getting them their passes. They said they knew for a fact Brian interviewed on their behalf, and we're pretty sure KF did as well.

Latest posts