UI refuses to grant press credentials to Harty and Howe

HawkeyesWin

Way to get the season started Barta. Banning press is a great way to start your last season at Iowa. I want you to succeed but good grief I almost hope this year turns into a dumpster fire so we can be rid of your incompetence.

Well the guys at the CR paper were pretty blunt about the team in their podcast. The word suck was used about 10 times. Can't be anymore blunt than that. Will Gary go after them?

Way to get the season started Barta. Banning press is a great way to start your last season at Iowa. I want you to succeed but good grief I almost hope this year turns into a dumpster fire so we can be rid of your incompetence.

Wait for the - "It was a misunderstanding, their press credentials are being issued".

Read the article. No credentials for private websites? But then approves scout and rivals. It's not like it's Joe Loudmouth and Stan Dumbsh*t running the site - people may not like them, but they have credibility covering Iowa sports (note how credibility and credentials have the same root?). It's almost bureaucratic in its form over substance mentality and ineptitude.

Last edited:
surprised about Harty getting the boot but isn't the consensus that Howe is pretty much a hack.

surprised about Harty getting the boot but isn't the consensus that Howe is pretty much a hack.

I don't think it has been a secret that Howe has slowly worn away his welcome. He definitely made himself look like a moron with the whole DJK fiasco. That was by far his biggest mistake. Also, I'm not positive on this but I think he was the reporter that Ferentz lost his cool on.

With every day that passes, I feel better and better about my decision to not renew my season tickets this year.

It should have little to do with whether or not someone is considered a "hack." The decision to issue a credential should be based on whether the person/organization is a legitimate media outlet. The word "legitimate" is open to interpretation, but both Howe and Harty have a long history of covering Iowa.

Howe (in my opinion) made a mistake in taking up for DJK in the whole "Ferentz is blackballing me with the NFL" thing. Just a weird story and you don't do stories like that without some corroboration from persons other than DJK (in my opinion).

But this issue of not issuing credentials makes the UI look petty and brings far more attention (the bad kind) than any criticism Howe and Harty might have put out there.

I don't really have a dog in this fight as I no longer pay for any subscription service, so I'm just going to play devil's advocate....

Yes they've been around for a long time covering Iowa football, but they went independent and have about 300 subscribers. If they immediately let them have press credentials then where does it stop? Can I go create my own Hawkeye blog and get press credentials as long as 300 people sign my online guestbook?

Trust me, I get the counter argument: They've been covering Iowa professionally for x amount of years, they should be grandfathered in. However they ****** a lot of people off in their time as writers (the DJK fiasco comes to mind) and decided to create their own website thinking they'd just be automatically granted press credentials for showing up. To that I would say tough titties, life isn't fair?

Well the guys at the CR paper were pretty blunt about the team in their podcast. The word suck was used about 10 times. Can't be anymore blunt than that. Will Gary go after them?

Speakin of blunts........;), that's what I think of that nonsense, way to go Gar Bear

Why does the UofI athletic offices have such a difficult time managing media and PR situations such as this and always coming off looking stupid? That is the direct problem with Ferentz and Barta. Fight or flight. They would rather run than face what is in front of them and fight. This transcends down to the football team and they play like that now, scared!!

With every day that passes, I feel better and better about my decision to not renew my season tickets this year.

My thoughts exactly. I had been going to games, and donating, for a long time. I certainly hope the hawks do well, but I'm really growing tired of Barta's and Kurt's M.O.

Why does the UofI athletic offices have such a difficult time managing media and PR situations such as this and always coming off looking stupid? That is the direct problem with Ferentz and Barta. Fight or flight. They would rather run than face what is in front of them and fight. This transcends down to the football team and they play like that now, scared!!

These guys are truly terrible (turrible, as Hayden would say) at public relations and connecting with an audience of consumers in what is essentially an entertainment industry for us, the fans.

I can't imagine this flying well in a market other than good ol' Ioway.

It sounds like the Iowa has a policy for these types of "news outlets" and they simply don't quality for press passes at this point. That isn't the universities fault, and certainly acting like you are just entitled to a press pass automatically just because your former employer got you one for years isn't going to change anything. I hope they work to resolve this, as I think Howe and Harty do an OK job. I don't really feel sorry for them though, as it seems they just ASSUMED that they were just entitled to the press pass, which means they simply weren't prepared when striking out on their own.

These guys are truly terrible (turrible, as Hayden would say) at public relations and connecting with an audience of consumers in what is essentially an entertainment industry for us, the fans.

I can't imagine this flying well in a market other than good ol' Ioway.

Disagree Racer. I don't see why Iowa should just give out press passes to anyone with a blog or website. Heck I would start a blog now if I could get press passes by doing so.

Latest posts