U of Iowa Refuses to Schedule North Dakota

A sovereign people displaced by another? If you truly feel that way perhaps you should set sail back to europe since you are violating their right to this ground. You wouldn't be here if it wasn't for that. JYou've shown yourself to be just another moronic liberal ideologue without a practical clue.

Um, I am part Cherokee.

But again, you fail to miss the gist of the entire argument. You conveniently only fixate on the part that you seem to have some serious deep seated resentment over.

This isn't about banning all Native American mascot names, it is about having a sound policy to address each case. I think the NCAA has shown far more reason in their actions than you have in your name calling.

But I will end the discussion now. And hit the ignore button so I don't end up wasting everyone's time with my foolish attempts to change inflexible positions.

Last edited:
Um, I am part Cherokee.

Well then perhaps you should be grateful that the Indians who would still be chucking spears at buffaloes in a third world state, are now living off the backs of the American public in the welfare states called reservations.

This is true, but it is tribal tradition for decisions to be made by the leaders of this tribe. But, I bet they would really love you to give them a lesson on how they should function based on your cultural traditions. :rolleyes:

However, even if Standing Rock changed their stance, I think the other tribes who voiced their dissent would still be an issue for the NCAA. I think the NCAA kind of got gut punched on this issue when they limited the decision to just two tribes and then the others came forward.

Seriously, there is a reason this one has gone as far as it has gone. It is a very complex case.

First, no need to be an *** about it. Second, Native Americans also have a pretty strong value of democracy, so I don't know where you're going with your first point. Letting the people have a voice on the matter would seem to be a good thing. I have a hard time understanding the case against that.

This just in: Due to pressure from PETA, The University of Iowa announces they are offended by the following school mascots: Badgers, Gophers, especially the Golden Gopher, Wolverines, Nittany Lions and Wildcats. The university agrees with PETA that using the likeness of these animals as mascots is beyond cruelty to animals. The NCAA tried to have each subset of animals vote on if they wanted their likeness used, but were unable to come to a majority consensus. Due to the offensive nature of these mascots, The University of Iowa will no longer schedule games with these institutions. Additionally, the Cornhuskers have been put on notice. At the time of this article, it was still unclear what exactly a Cornhusker is.

University officials insisted they will still honor their contracts with the Fighting Illini, the Hoosiers, the Boilermakers, the Spartans, and the Buckeyes. However, the UofI has received pressure from special interest groups to also drop the Fighting Illini and the Spartans due the offensive nature of those mascots and their war-like mentalities.

The UofI goes on further to announce that if Michigan State and Ohio State continue to dominate the Hawkeyes in most sports, the UofI will only schedule them in wrestling. As for Inidiana, school officials are pondering a football only schedule moving forward.

Check back for updates at a later date.

Well then perhaps you should be grateful that the Indians who would still be chucking spears at buffaloes in a third world state, are now living off the backs of the American public in the welfare states called reservations.

This is probably the most racist, ignorant, offensive thing I have ever seen posted on this website.

First, no need to be an *** about it. Second, Native Americans also have a pretty strong value of democracy, so I don't know where you're going with your first point. Letting the people have a voice on the matter would seem to be a good thing. I have a hard time understanding the case against that.

How is he being an ***? He's doing nothing more than providing insight into this situation.

I may be wrong about this, but the name Hawkeye has nothing to do with BlackHawk. At the time Iowa was first being settled in the 1830s, the most popular fiction hero was a character called Hawkeye in a James Fennimore Cooper book “Last of the Mohicansâ€￾. Hawkeye was a pioneer frontiersman similar to the early Iowa settlers.

I don't think it is any of Iowa's business what a school is named, nor the NCAA. The team would not be playing the mascot. Besides if ND got a tribes permission to use the mascot, who is Iowa or the NCAA to say it is not correct. Takes PC to a whole new level.

Too bad...

Another case of the NCAA going after small schools to show how tough and strict they are while leaving schools like Illinois, and some of the southern schools alone, such as Florida State...To be oonsistent, should not Iowa refuse to play Illinois and or Florida St (if it comes to a game with them in bb or fb). Should not Iowa absolutely refuse? or does this rule ONLY apply to smaller schools that don't mean squat to the NCAA?

Last edited:
How is he being an ***? He's doing nothing more than providing insight into this situation.

The part where he insinuated I was some kind of patronizing white dope with a superiority complex for pushing my democratic values on another group of people. Nevermind that Native Americans already value and use democracy in their governance.

O M G

You one of the idiots that spray painted a bridge where I live?

I bet the Iowa Athletic Department would really be bummed if they knew the state of Iowa was named after an Indian tribe (Ioway). Can you say hypocrite?

EDIT: You know, these mascots were chosen because the mascot was so ferocious; it was not intended to be a slander. Anyone can take anything the wrong way. I say, suck it up.

Last edited:
You are comparing a landmass named after a people that originally inhabited it with a school who uses a caricature of a race of people as its mascot.

Say what?? Why is the caricature of the Sioux mascot so insulting? Hum?

What if Indians in general became upset with Iowa's name, would you also demand Iowa change it?