U of Iowa Refuses to Schedule North Dakota

Well then perhaps you should be grateful that the Indians who would still be chucking spears at buffaloes in a third world state, are now living off the backs of the American public in the welfare states called reservations.

You really are so smart. Thank God we have such educated people in the conservative party these days. Hope you and your party have fun with the crushing defeat you will experience in November thanks to your insensitive ways.

Bey you're a Santorum supporter:rolleyes:

I am one of the people who would say "What is the big deal? How is it bad to have an Indian/Native American mascot/logo?"

And while I still don't completely understand it... I took a class where we covered this topic. Apparently research has been done that indicates that Native American children feel poorly about themselves and/or have a lower self-esteem when looking at or attending a school that has a Native American mascot and/or logo that portrays a stereotypical Native American with war paint/feathers/spears/tomahawks/etc.

Studies have also been done that indicate Native American children who are exposed to this before taking a test... are more likely to do poorly than a Native American child that is not exposed/shown these images before a test.

Again, I don't fully understand it and I probably never will... but I'm not Native American so it really doesn't have to make sense to me. If it really does effect people in a negative way then I am not going to protest people that want these mascots and logos removed or changed.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it is best to try to have an open mind when discussing topics like this. It really is hard to know how it makes people that are Native American feel... unless you are Native American.
Btw, this is not about who you will be voting for in the election. People on both sides have varying opinions than those of other people in their own political party.

Last edited:
You really are so smart. Thank God we have such educated people in the conservative party these days. Hope you and your party have fun with the crushing defeat you will experience in November thanks to your insensitive ways.

Bey you're a Santorum supporter:rolleyes:
Say, that's an impressively wide paint brush you've got there!

CGHawk- i appreciate your insight as it really should open people's eyes to how other people's life experience will influence how sensitive they are to this issue. There is no way to know how this makes someone feel unless you are native american, and that is why hearing a fellow american say the things smoot27 said was just really offensive that someone could be so insensitive and ignorant and not have the decency to know that that is crossing the line and extremely disrespectful.

There are plenty of local examples throughout Iowa. Morningside College used to be the Chiefs, now they are the Mustangs.

Weak. PC has ruined this country.

Really!!! Don't mean to start anything but this has to be one of the lamest statements ever uttered on here. PC has RUINED this country??? First, ... ahhh, to hell with it ... anyone who believes this is unable to understand any type of logic, anyway ...`Good grief!!!

Why is Iowa opposed to schools honoring native americans?
I love it when people jump in after 4 pages of a thread to ask a question that was answered on page 2.

I read the post prior to my post. Let's not over complicate this (like what was done on page 2). I like that ND is taking a stand against the over-sensitive.
We can go on and on about how one group or another should/shouldn't be upset by a mascot.

Mascots exist to rally a fanbase. I have a difficult time seeing a derogatory intention to selecting a particular mascot with a few exceptions. This isn't one of those exceptions.

Why is Iowa opposed to schools honoring native americans?
I love it when people jump in after 4 pages of a thread to ask a question that was answered on page 2.
I read the post prior to my post. Let's not over complicate this (like what was done on page 2). I like that ND is taking a stand against the over-sensitive. We can go on and on about how one group or another should/shouldn't be upset by a mascot. Mascots exist to rally a fanbase. I have a difficult time seeing a derogatory intention to selecting a particular mascot with a few exceptions. This isn't one of those exceptions.

If you had read the post you'd understand that not all native Americans consider it an "honor", so your question is a non starter.

Mascots exist to rally a fanbase. .
I figured mascots existed to sell merchandise.Maybe fans are dumb enough to need a mascot to rally around.
Hey, let's make our team mascot a Nazi, that would really rally our fans

If people were choosing a mascot to denigrate a group of people then perhaps we would see more mascots modeled after Nazis. In reality, mascots are chosen to instill a sense of pride for fans to rally around. This is why you see hundreds of teams using native americans (Pros, NCAA, HS, etc.) and zero using Nazis. Thanks for making my point for me.

Mascots exist to rally a fanbase. .
I figured mascots existed to sell merchandise.Maybe fans are dumb enough to need a mascot to rally around.
Hey, let's make our team mascot a Nazi, that would really rally our fans

If people were choosing a mascot to denigrate a group of people then perhaps we would see more mascots modeled after Nazis. In reality, mascots are chosen to instill a sense of pride for fans to rally around. This is why you see hundreds of teams using native americans (Pros, NCAA, HS, etc.) and zero using Nazis. Thanks for making my point for me.

The reason for choosing the mascot is immaterial. What is material is a large percentage of the people "chosen" to be a mascot are offended by it. Giving some cause for rally at the expense of others is not something generally consider acceptable in our society. If an instituting selected a Nazi as its mascot no doubt some would rally around it as the image of a Nazi would institute feelings of pride within those people. Others would feel degradation.

Simple people have a hard time with complex issues. This is a complex issue. Some schools have strong connections with some tribes. This is the case with FSU, who have the endorsement of both the Florida and Oklahoma Seminole Nations for use of their likeness.

This is also the case with Central Michigan and the Chippewa tribe.

Basically it comes down to a tribe or people having rights over use of their likeness or cultural identity, which also means the right to use this for financial profit. Yunno, like Iowa's claim against Southern Miss with the Tiger Hawk / Golden Eagle issue?

The culturally offensive part is about a group of individuals in power co-opting the cultural likeness of a less powerful group without the endorsement of that group. Yunno, kind of like when these groups were forced off their land without permission?

So what's the problem with the Sioux? Well the different factions of the Sioux have not come to an agreement about endorsing the use of their likeness. They have rights over that likeness, just like Iowa has rights over the Tiger Hawk.

But I am sure I lost some of you after "simple."

Thats like saying the Irish have the rights to the Irish. Very different than a brand.

Wow, now we get the politic forum on our droids, but still no OT?

read the passionate filled thread and decided that many of us on here are too opinionated to reason with opinionated thoughts. So too, people are quick to point fingers and be condescending towards others as a group and to further generalize those groups. Sad really, but that is a snipet into society...and we all theoretically have several (well one) passion in common.

The reason for choosing the mascot is immaterial. What is material is a large percentage of the people "chosen=" to be a mascot are offended by it. Giving some cause for rally at the expense of others is not something generally consider acceptable in our society. If an instituting selected a Nazi as its mascot no doubt some would rally around it as the image of a Nazi would institute feelings of pride within those people. Others would feel degradation.
=

We should not continue to indulge in the notion that its ok to be hyper-sensitive about everything. Especially when the intent is to associate pride with those who have turned out to be hyper-sensitive.

Please continue to give examples of how people would love to rally around Nazis. Its a great arguement. ; )

The reason for choosing the mascot is immaterial. What is material is a large percentage of the people "chosen" to be a mascot are offended by it. Giving some cause for rally at the expense of others is not something generally consider acceptable in our society. If an instituting selected a Nazi as its mascot no doubt some would rally around it as the image of a Nazi would institute feelings of pride within those people. Others would feel degradation.

If you do not like the mascot then don't root for the team. The only reason why this is a big deal is because a small group of people make it one. These mascots are good reminders of our past whether you were a Sooner, Indian, 49er, Viking ect ect. The people that complain about these mascot names are never fans of that team and rarely do they even care about sports. People find stuff like this they can make a stand against and then they get on their soapbox and get others to agree with them, that's how stuff like this starts. If you do not like the Fighting Sioux name, or offended by it, then do not attend that school and do not root for their teams, but leave those people/fans alone. Why force your values/principals on everyone else?

Latest posts