U of Iowa Refuses to Schedule North Dakota

MASCOTS - Racism in Schools by State

Varying degrees of offensiveness
Cleveland Indians player Omar Vizquel wearing a baseball cap bearing the image of the Cleveland Indians mascot, Chief WahooTo further complicate this issue, many feel that there are varying levels of offensiveness with team names and mascots. Anil Adyanthaya from the Boston Globe writes on June 5, 2005:

“ The use of Aztec or Seminole as a nickname by itself would not appear to be racist, as such names refer to a particular civilization rather than an entire race of people. In this way, they are no different from other school nicknames such as Trojans and Spartans (like Aztecs, ancient peoples) or Fighting Irish and Flying Dutchmen (like Seminoles, nationalities). Similarly, Warriors and Braves are no different from the fighting men of other cultures, like Vikings, Minutemen, or Musketeers (all current NCAA mascots, the first of which is also an NFL mascot) so it seems hard to argue that their use is uniquely demeaning in some way.[4] ”

“ Could you imagine people mocking African Americans in black face at a game?” he said. 'Yet go to a game where there is a team with an Indian name and you will see fans with war paint on their faces. Is this not the equivalent to black face?' ”
—- Teaching Tolerance, May 9, 2001, Native American Mascots Big Issue in College Sports

You are comparing a landmass named after a people that originally inhabited it with a school who uses a caricature of a race of people as its mascot.
Say what?? Why is the caricature of the Sioux mascot so insulting? Hum? What if Indians in general became upset with Iowa's name, would you also demand Iowa change it?

Well first you'd have to find an argument why its offensive. Many native Americans find "Indian" mascot offensive because their dress and actions portray often inaccurate stereo types that aren't flattering or portray their people in a positive light.

What would the argument be for the state of Iowa be offensive?

Just like I don't rely on 50 year old virgins to dictate birthcontrol, I don't rely on white guys to tell me if native mascots are offensive.

Just like I don't rely on 50 year old virgins to dictate birthcontrol, I don't rely on white guys to tell me if native mascots are offensive.

Thankfully you don't have too. Native Americans are pretty vocal on this issue.

Thankfully you don't have too. Native Americans are pretty vocal on this issue.

But on this particular issue, many Sioux have voiced that they want UND to keep the name. In fact the Spirit Lake band is suing the NCAA for not respecting their wishes on the matter.

I'm offended by Notre Dame "fighting Irish", only my people can say that. I don't believe the B1G should schedule them, there are plenty of other non conference teams to schedule for an easy win at the beginning of the season.

Well then perhaps you should be grateful that the Indians who would still be chucking spears at buffaloes in a third world state, are now living off the backs of the American public in the welfare states called reservations.

See you in May.

Latest posts