Tyler Cook Signs Two-Way Contract with Nuggets

Well at Power Forward U, Fran McCaffery turns 6'9", 250lb, dynamic athletes with inconsistent rebounding and shooting skills into 6'9", 250lb, dynamic athletes with inconsistent rebounding and shooting skills. It's remarkable.
What would be list of Iowa players who developed by leaps and bounds while spending years in Fran's developmental program?

So, this is an HONEST and not a snarky (my first comment was), so I apologize for that, it was just a softball.

But seriously...... on twitter, on other Hawkeye boards, on here....I have read for 3 seasons how Tyler Cook had NO chance in the NBA. 0%. He wasn't even close and that he's dreaming if he thinks he has ANY shot. I had no idea to be honest. I am not an expert on that kind of stuff. But, I've been told pretty strongly over the years that he wouldn't be in the NBA and I was a fool for ever even mentioning it. Obviously, it's not like he's made it at this point, but he certainly seems to knocking on the doorstep almost IMMEDIATELY after finishing his Hawkeye career. He may never play a minute, but he obviously must be doing something well to get this opportunity.

My question is, how can so many Hawkeye fans be wrong? Why was Tyler such a polarizing player that his own fans felt that strongly about him not making the NBA? He had/has things to work on, but so do most players. Was it that we as fans didn't want him to go? Just curious. I literally have no idea I just often time am intrigued by the dichotomy of sports fans, their favorite players and how they are viewed.

I will eat some crow as I was one who did not think he would make it this far. If he can make something like a quarter of a million dollars this year, then good for him. That said, hopefully he saves that money because I still just don't see it on a long term basis. Likely a G-League/Euro player fringe player for the most part.

What would be list of Iowa players who developed by leaps and bounds while spending years in Fran's developmental program?
adam-woodbury-020815-vine-ftr_114gjn69q5p7s14gvkjxkpgz75.jpg

Mastered the Eye Poke.

Roy Devyn Marble - his #'s improved nearly every season - it doesn't seem like a leaps and bounds because he gradually got better and eventually became a lightly recruited 3 star to ALL-B1G
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/roy-devyn-marble-1.html#players_per_game::none

Aaron White - Made a huge jump his senior season, but his #'s raised and then he really made a jump... and he went from lightly recruited 3 star to ALL-B1G
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/aaron-white-3.html#players_per_game::none

Peter Jok - hard to argue he didn't develop leaps and bounds
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/peter-jok-1.html#players_per_game::none

Jarrod Uthoff - He was a consensus All-American his senior year. He was highly recruited, but he didn't come to Iowa as an All-American
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jarrod-uthoff-1.html#players_per_game::none

I could make a case for Tyler Cook too - leaps and bounds better as a Jr then his frosh season. I'm guessing Luka will make leaps and bounds improvement too.

These are just off the top of my head and I just picked some of Fran's standouts - I am sure there are more. Now, you might just say that is just maturity, increased strength, playing time and role but I'd argue that's exactly what developing is.

Last edited:
Roy Devyn Marble - his #'s improved nearly every season - it doesn't seem like a leaps and bounds because he gradually got better and eventually became a lightly recruited 3 star to ALL-B1G
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/roy-devyn-marble-1.html#players_per_game::none

Aaron White - Made a huge jump his senior season, but his #'s raised and then he really made a jump... and he went from lightly recruited 3 star to ALL-B1G
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/aaron-white-3.html#players_per_game::none

Peter Jok - hard to argue he didn't develop leaps and bounds
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/peter-jok-1.html#players_per_game::none

Jarrod Uthoff - He was a consensus All-American his senior year. He was highly recruited, but he didn't come to Iowa as an All-American
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jarrod-uthoff-1.html#players_per_game::none

I could make a case for Tyler Cook too - leaps and bounds better as a Jr then his frosh season. I'm guessing Luka will make leaps and bounds improvement too.

These are just off the top of my head and I just picked some of Fran's standouts - I am sure there are more. Now, you might just say that is just maturity, increased strength, playing time and role but I'd argue that's exactly what developing is.
Off the top of your head would you say that Fran is above average/top shelf/less than needed in developing players, compared to those coaches and staffs who are of equal pay, conference level? A strength?

There are going to be a lot of people eating crow if TC starts playing in the NBA. I just took all you dick's word for it.
I'm happy for the kid and for Fran obviously. Having said that let's not crown him the next leBron spanky.

I was one who seriously doubted that TC would cut it in the NBA, primarily due to his limited scoring ability. I was never mean about it; I am really happy for him; I thought he played hard at Iowa; he was always candid with the media. I am really glad he was a Hawkeye.

I was one who seriously doubted that TC would cut it in the NBA, primarily due to his limited scoring ability. I was never mean about it; I am really happy for him; I thought he played hard at Iowa; he was always candid with the media. I am really glad he was a Hawkeye.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that Cook may fit in the NBA better than in college. In college, he was expected to be a star, teams game planned around him. He tried to create for himself and hit shots that aren't in his game to run the offense through him. It kind of worked because he's such an athletic freak and ran well in Fran's system, but was never going to turn him into a superstar. In the NBA, he's never going to be game planned for as a team's best player. His role will be to collect boards, play defense, and get some putbacks/easy twos around the rim when they are available. In essence, just make sure things stay even while the starters rest. This while he has the size and athleticism to match up decently with the starters. If he really figures out how to be a pest on defense and lock down the boards, he could stick around for quite a while.

I'm happy for the kid and for Fran obviously. Having said that let's not crown him the next leBron spanky.

Hey spanky, I must have said "he might not ever play a minute in the NBA" several times in this post. I don't think he's ever going to be much more then a role player if that. More than likely over seas or G League, but honestly I really ONLY think that because that's what everyone tells me. I don't know how to judge that nor do I know how he'll develop over the next few years of his life.

Off the top of your head would you say that Fran is above average/top shelf/less than needed in developing players, compared to those coaches and staffs who are of equal pay, conference level? A strength?

Top of my head, I would say above average, not top shelf. He's the 10th highest paid coach in the B1G and has finished 5th, 11th, 5th, 3rd and 3rd the last 5 seasons. He's typically performing well above his pay in comparison to his peers in the B1G but more goes into winning games then just developing players. IMO, his track record with finding unheralded recruits and making them into all conference performers is pretty decent. He's had a lot of gafs too, but that's pretty standard in the world of hoops recruiting. The players that go thru his program tend to play better the older they get IMO which is what you'd expect and want.

Top of my head, I would say above average, not top shelf. He's the 10th highest paid coach in the B1G and has finished 5th, 11th, 5th, 3rd and 3rd the last 5 seasons. He's typically performing well above his pay in comparison to his peers in the B1G but more goes into winning games then just developing players. IMO, his track record with finding unheralded recruits and making them into all conference performers is pretty decent. He's had a lot of gafs too, but that's pretty standard in the world of hoops recruiting. The players that go thru his program tend to play better the older they get IMO which is what you'd expect and want.
Mostly concur...came into a big mess for sure

He's either good at developing players or a good in game/scheming coach. Because we've all heard how bad of a recruiter he supposedly is. I've heard posters claim he's a bad in game coach and bad at developing players. He also never gets the guys he wants when recruiting and can't seem to get good fits. He just consistently blunders his way into the top half of the conference.

Let's be real here, Fran is a solid coach. He know's a thing or two about developing players, coaching them, and recruiting. Considering we're consistently in the bottom half of the conference for recruiting, he is demonstrably good at developing players on average. When he eventually gets some guys talented enough to be playing in the NBA to the promised land along with a Big Ten Championship or a Sweet 16, all these questions will evaporate. I think that happens this year or next.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that Cook may fit in the NBA better than in college. In college, he was expected to be a star, teams game planned around him. He tried to create for himself and hit shots that aren't in his game to run the offense through him. It kind of worked because he's such an athletic freak and ran well in Fran's system, but was never going to turn him into a superstar. In the NBA, he's never going to be game planned for as a team's best player. His role will be to collect boards, play defense, and get some putbacks/easy twos around the rim when they are available. In essence, just make sure things stay even while the starters rest. This while he has the size and athleticism to match up decently with the starters. If he really figures out how to be a pest on defense and lock down the boards, he could stick around for quite a while.
Just think had he come along thirty years ago. He could have been a Michael Cage/AC Green/Antonio Davis type player. Those guys played in the league well over a decade.

He can still find his niche in today's NBA. And I believe he will.

Hey spanky, I must have said "he might not ever play a minute in the NBA" several times in this post. I don't think he's ever going to be much more then a role player if that. More than likely over seas or G League, but honestly I really ONLY think that because that's what everyone tells me. I don't know how to judge that nor do I know how he'll develop over the next few years of his life.
No we don't who knows maybe he will develop a mid-range jumper game. Hoping for the best expecting.....meh.

Latest posts