Tyler Cook Pulls Name Out of NBA Draft, Returning to Iowa

The shooting form is all muscle memory - drawing is not. I understand your point as it's the reality and you're definitely right, but I feel like it's more because there's a shortage of 7' players and they offer enough advantages in other areas on the court that short range shooting and free throws aren't required of them. It's just baffling to me that somebody could be at the top of their profession and not be able to do that. Could you imagine if somebody was as bad at passing the ball as Shaq or Dwight Howard is at free throws?

Several pros come to mind.

Wilt Chamberlain and fts

John Lester throwing to any base other than Home with a batter.

When I was first learning to play basketball at 8 or 9 toward the end of my play session I would shoot 200 point blank bank shots from each side. I've always been a decent shooter so it's hard for me to understand why some people are not able to, especially at the college or professional level - when it's their future. Like Shaq and his free throws? I don't get it, maybe it's harder when you're taller? The ball is in a different part of its' arc but hell, I've played plenty of times on 8' rims so I don't think that's a valid excuse

It has to do with the size of your hands. When I was learning to shoot, I was taught to put my thumbs about 1/2" apart at 90 degree angles. As I was 5'6" at the time (7th grade) it was pretty easy to do that. Fast forward to my junior year in high school when I was 6'7". When I put my hands in the correct positioning, they were at awkward positions on the ball to shoot as my hands were a LOT bigger than they were when I was in the 7th grade.

Now, compare my hands to a guy like Shaq's hands. I've actually shaken hands with a guy that size and my hand was "swallowed up" by the dude's handshake. I can't imagine having the correct placement of your hands on a basketball for guys that size. Imagine you trying to place your hands on a nerf ball for proper shooting technique. Maybe George McGinnis, who had monstrous hands, did it right - his jump shot, free throw, everything was one handed.

Bank shots are very difficult to miss from certain angles. Close to the basket from the wings is almost impossible to miss. Every game there are several shots that would have been baskets rather than impotent, sorryass misses if only we had used the glass. I mention it every time but the players refuse to follow my advice. Maybe I should scream louder at the TV.....

Can't understand why that is not taught. Basic Basketball Fundamentals. A fadeaway jump hook, close to the basket is almost 100%.....

When I was playing, eons ago, I could drive to the basket with a defender on me and suddenly step back, tossing the ball off the backboard every time. Just changing direction at full speed will give one room to use the backboard.....

:cool:

My college coach, Buzz Levick, said that close shots (within about 10 feet) at the angles show ALWAYS be banked. And his big rule of thumb around the basket is: If you don't dunk it, bank it.

That didn't hurt at all. I get that shooting is such a huge part of the game, it's a natural assumption that all NBA players are good at it. But there are rare instances where a player is so elite at other skills, they can get away with not being a great shooter. It's easy to say "I'm nowhere near an NBA level player and I can make free throws". All that means is I'm slightly better at one skill of many that it takes to be a good player.

Also, look at Wilt Chamberlain. He still holds rebounding and scoring records in the NBA. The guy could do nearly everything in basketball. After one season a number of sportswriters complained that all Wilt did was shoot. The next season he led the league in assists - as a center! - and still led the league in scoring. I am convinced that he would hold shot blocking records if they kept such records; the stat was kept in his final 112 games, and he averaged almost 9 blocked shots per game then, long after his prime. Many don't know that he left Kansas before his graduating class. Today, a player like that simply goes to the NBA but at that time he couldn't get drafted. So he played a year with the Harlem Globetrotters - as their point guard.

The one thing Wilt couldn't do well was shoot free throws - his career FT % was 51% and had several seasons that were under 50%. He tried everything but couldn't seem to make free throws unless the game was on the line.

Also, look at Wilt Chamberlain. He still holds rebounding and scoring records in the NBA. The guy could do nearly everything in basketball. After one season a number of sportswriters complained that all Wilt did was shoot. The next season he led the league in assists - as a center! - and still led the league in scoring. I am convinced that he would hold shot blocking records if they kept such records; the stat was kept in his final 112 games, and he averaged almost 9 blocked shots per game then, long after his prime. Many don't know that he left Kansas before his graduating class. Today, a player like that simply goes to the NBA but at that time he couldn't get drafted. So he played a year with the Harlem Globetrotters - as their point guard.

The one thing Wilt couldn't do well was shoot free throws - his career FT % was 51% and had several seasons that were under 50%. He tried everything but couldn't seem to make free throws unless the game was on the line.
I think people forget how athletic he was too. Dude was fast and could jump in his younger days. He pretty much got bored later in his career from things I'd read about him with the game as far as scoring goes. It is crazy he wasn't able to get better than he was at FTs because he pretty good at everything else...

Why would we even miss a coach who can only make 3 NCAA tournaments over 9 years (assuming we miss this year)?
This one is extremely easy.

Alford
14-16 (6-10...T-7th)
23-12 (7-9...T-6th)...NCAA
19-16 (5-11...T-8th)...NIT
17-14 (7-9...T-8th)...NIT
16-13 (9-7...4th)...NIT
21-12 (7-9...7th)...NCAA
25-9 (11-5...T-2nd)...NCAA
17-14 (9-7...T-4th)

Lickliter
13-19 (6-12...8th)
15-16 (5-13...10th)
10-22 (4-14...9th)

Fran
11-20 (4-14...10th)
18-17 (8-10...7th)...NIT
25-13 (9-9...6th)...NIT
20-13 (9-9...6th)...NCAA 1st Four
22-12 (12-6...T-3rd)...NCAA
22-11 (12-6...T-3rd)...NCAA
19-15 (10-8...T-5th)...NIT
14-19 (4-14...T-11th)

So you were more impressed with the 11 years and 2 coaches prior to Fran? You are willing to risk the recruits that have already committed and those where we have our foot in the door? You want to give up our stranglehold on the vast majority of the top in state recruits? And you want to do all of this in hopes that we get who exactly? I think another Alford or Lick is much more likely than another Lute or Davis.

I'm giving Fran 2 more years for sure. At the very least the roster is loaded for the next guy...which may help land a high end candidate. Of course I think we are in the NCAA the next 2 years and this is a moot point.

Alford
14-16 (6-10...T-7th)
16-13 (9-7...4th)...NIT
21-12 (7-9...7th)...NCAA
17-14 (9-7...T-4th)

Lickliter
13-19 (6-12...8th)
15-16 (5-13...10th)
10-22 (4-14...9th)

Fran
11-20 (4-14...10th)
18-17 (8-10...7th)...NIT
25-13 (9-9...6th)...NIT
14-19 (4-14...T-11th)

So you were more impressed with the 11 years and 2 coaches prior to Fran? You are willing to risk the recruits that have already committed and those where we have our foot in the door? You want to give up our stranglehold on the vast majority of the top in state recruits? And you want to do all of this in hopes that we get who exactly? I think another Alford or Lick is much more likely than another Lute or Davis.

I'm giving Fran 2 more years for sure. At the very least the roster is loaded for the next guy...which may help land a high end candidate. Of course I think we are in the NCAA the next 2 years and this is a moot point.

So that is our standard now? If they are better than Lick, we should just keep them around? LOL man, that is ridiculous.

Alford
14-16 (6-10...T-7th)
16-13 (9-7...4th)...NIT
21-12 (7-9...7th)...NCAA
17-14 (9-7...T-4th)

Lickliter
13-19 (6-12...8th)
15-16 (5-13...10th)
10-22 (4-14...9th)

Fran
11-20 (4-14...10th)
18-17 (8-10...7th)...NIT
25-13 (9-9...6th)...NIT
14-19 (4-14...T-11th)

Thanks for stopping by, Margaret.

I think people forget how athletic he was too. Dude was fast and could jump in his younger days. He pretty much got bored later in his career from things I'd read about him with the game as far as scoring goes. It is crazy he wasn't able to get better than he was at FTs because he pretty good at everything else...

He was an athletic freak. In the Big 8 conference track meet he ran a 45 440yd dash (on a cinder track), won the high jump and placed in the long jump.... and never went out for track in high school.

Latest posts