Tyler Cook is not an NBA player

Is Cook even a plus player this year? He scores points but does it inefficiently. He rebounds but never gets the tough rebounds in traffic. Factor in the turnovers and the horrible basketball IQ and I'm not sure how much he helps.

Only way Cook ever had even an inkling of squeezing through the door of the NBA.. he needed to have a jump shot - which he still doesn't...

Moves and finishing around the Rim - I'll give him an A-
Athletic ability A
Shooting F
Dribbling C (he has gotten better, but leads to turnovers half the time)
Passing F
Rebounding D
Defense D-

The only way he is a threat in the post is if he can dunk it. Kriener has much better post moves imo.
I'd like to see more Kriener, too. He's not fast or athletic but he plays a smarter game, and it's not close. Kriener is a better team player. I don't mean anything concerning their attitudes, either. I'm fine with Cook's attitude, but he isn't a smart team player. Good coaches reward smart play, and McCaffrey doesn't.

What’s sucks is that Tyler was a big time recruit and one that was a great land for Fran and Iowa.

The sad part is he has the worst basketball IQ I’ve ever seen and shaky effort at times.

I’d take Aaron White every day of the week and twice on Sundays over Cook it’s just that simple.
Or Kriener, who is actually on the 2019 Hawkeye roster. Given Cook's basketball IQ I'd have him (Cook) coming off the bench and Kriener starting.

At the NBA level, defensive rotations are so much more important because the court is spread and almost everyone can shoot.

Cook hasn’t figured out defensive rotations at the college level, he would be absolutely exposed in the NBA on defense.

Or Kriener, who is actually on the 2019 Hawkeye roster. Given Cook's basketball IQ I'd have him (Cook) coming off the bench and Kriener starting.
Kriener came in off the bench last night and instantly blew a defensive assignment. He’s far from a plus defensive player.

Tyler Cook had an offensive rating of 0 last night... 0.

He didn’t contribute an assist, an offensive rebound... anything. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen an offensive rating of zero before. Wow

Only way Cook ever had even an inkling of squeezing through the door of the NBA.. he needed to have a jump shot - which he still doesn't...

Moves and finishing around the Rim - I'll give him an A-
Athletic ability A
Shooting F
Dribbling C (he has gotten better, but leads to turnovers half the time)
Passing F
Rebounding D
Defense D-
Shows the limitations of athleticism, doesn't it? But Fran doesn't get it.

What’s sucks is that Tyler was a big time recruit and one that was a great land for Fran and Iowa.

The sad part is he has the worst basketball IQ I’ve ever seen and shaky effort at times.

I’d take Aaron White every day of the week and twice on Sundays over Cook it’s just that simple.

A coach's job is to take raw talent like this, develop it...develop the player. Cook has to do the work, but I think Fran has failed him in this respect.

Tyler Cook had an offensive rating of 0 last night... 0.

He didn’t contribute an assist, an offensive rebound... anything. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen an offensive rating of zero before. Wow

I was focusing on him last night and it was pathetic....there was no hustle, no going after 50/50 balls, no blocking out...nothing. On the first basket by Wisky, where the dude dribbled into the lane uncontested for a monster dunk, Tyler was in the immediate vicinity and could have challenged, but he literally just watched him. He was the same way on the offensive end....no effort to seal anyone on the block, no effort to go up in a crowd to get an offensive rebound....nothing. He epitomized the word "quit" last night and it was probably the worst display of effort I've ever seen from an Iowa basketball player. The sad thing is that there was no one on the team challenging him for his lack of effort....in other words, no leadership whatsoever....

Remember at the beginning of the year when Cook would slap the floor and really lock down on defense? That was fun while it lasted.

I was focusing on him last night and it was pathetic....there was no hustle, no going after 50/50 balls, no blocking out...nothing. On the first basket by Wisky, where the dude dribbled into the lane uncontested for a monster dunk, Tyler was in the immediate vicinity and could have challenged, but he literally just watched him. He was the same way on the offensive end....no effort to seal anyone on the block, no effort to go up in a crowd to get an offensive rebound....nothing. He epitomized the word "quit" last night and it was probably the worst display of effort I've ever seen from an Iowa basketball player. The sad thing is that there was no one on the team challenging him for his lack of effort....in other words, no leadership whatsoever....

You're wrong. Cook didn't just stand there and watch that dunk. He got out of the way. It was probably the fastest I've ever seen him move his feet on defense.

A coach's job is to take raw talent like this, develop it...develop the player. Cook has to do the work, but I think Fran has failed him in this respect.
For sure. I think both parties are partially to blame. I just think it sucks because if he would have came in with a good understanding of how to play basketball the right way, as some players do, we never would have noticed and we would have been a much better the last few years.

You're wrong. Cook didn't just stand there and watch that dunk. He got out of the way. It was probably the fastest I've ever seen him move his feet on defense.

You're right. I was using "watched him" as a way to convey that he literally did nothing to challenge the player. But yes, he got out of the way in order to avoid being "posterized".....

I was at the Kohl and he and JBo did get into at one point FWIW. I’m not exactly sure what about.

I don't think anybody has considered Cook an NBA player since his freshman year. In his freshman year, you could see the potential. Unfortunately he hasn't improved. Besides lifting weights I'm not sure what he does to improve his game. He's a turnover machine, and while he came in with a spotty jump shot, he's somehow regressed.

You're right. I was using "watched him" as a way to convey that he literally did nothing to challenge the player. But yes, he got out of the way in order to avoid being "posterized".....

Wrong again. He got out of the way to avoid a possible foul. He was in plenty good position to stop the dunk and if he had any ability to react quickly he would have had plenty of time to step over one step and take a charge. Iverson had to drive from the 3 point line in the same amount of time Cook needed to move one step. It was pathetic.

Wrong again. He got out of the way to avoid a possible foul. He was in plenty good position to stop the dunk and if he had any ability to react quickly he would have had plenty of time to step over one step and take a charge. Iverson had to drive from the 3 point line in the same amount of time Cook needed to move one step. It was pathetic.

Yep, first highlight in the Tweet below.

It’s hardly Cook’s fault for not being developed as a player. The blame for that lies squarely on the coaching staff. As does all of the other problems that lie within the program.

Has any drafted NBA player ever had zero points, zero blocks, zero assists in a college game the same year he was drafted?

There's your answer.

Latest posts