Tyler Cook Invited to G League Elite Camp

Two of his four hoops off the pick and roll.
I said since his sophomore year his role in the NBA if he ever made it would be as a small ball center who would play pick and roll game and catch lobs for dunks. Similar to a Jordan Bell type for the Warriors.

The problem is those guys have to be very good defensive players and rebound at a high level. Plus Cook’s hands are a bit shaky.

With the way the game of basketball is going, that would have been his niche in the NBA. Hopefully he will get a chance but I would think it’s pretty unlikely.

Cook hurts an ankle or something after a nice spin hook-like shot. He had some pretty good post moves today, but I gotta say, his limitations seem awfully similar to a year ago. Not much defense or outside shot.

Hopefully the ankle is OK. Looked like he came down on someone's foot and rolled it.

He struggled on defense after switches. Quicker players blew by him.

Decent showing, sounds like his defense is lacking and a lot of fouls, but high percentage shooting and made some free throws

How about Montrezl Harrell as a comp?

College stats / NBA stats

Similar college production, similar deficiencies. Harrell has made himself into a very good small-ball 5 on second units. Defensive deficiencies can be hidden in this role, and if paired with a good pick-and-roll ball handler (Harrell has Lou Williams with him on the 2nd unit), he could excel in the dive-and-dunk role. He would have to show progress in hands and decision making (Harrell has improved in those regards), but I think the potential is there.

How about Montrezl Harrell as a comp?

College stats / NBA stats

Similar college production, similar deficiencies. Harrell has made himself into a very good small-ball 5 on second units. Defensive deficiencies can be hidden in this role, and if paired with a good pick-and-roll ball handler (Harrell has Lou Williams with him on the 2nd unit), he could excel in the dive-and-dunk role. He would have to show progress in hands and decision making (Harrell has improved in those regards), but I think the potential is there.

Im not trying to bash Cook or anything. Maybe we remember Harrell differently from college. I remember him as a hustle type of player who wasn't necessarily known for his offensive game but got his points by being athletic and rebounding. I also remember him as a consistent rebounder and shot blocker. I think he also was a pretty good offensive rebounder. Essentially a more talented and athletic version of Baer except Harrell may have been a worse shooter than Cook.

Cook on the other hand is known more as a skilled post move player who could score on about anyone in the post if not double teamed. I'm convinced that the shooting touch will come with more work on his shot without having to focus on school. His form isn't terrible. And many great players develop their shot more when they get to the pros. If he had that mid range or even a 25% average from 3 he could be a solid contributor to a pro team.