Tyler Cook Invited to G League Elite Camp

For me it all comes back to many many of the kids playing D1 sports really have no business in college to begin with. I am ready to start paying revenue sports athletes a small stipend and let them go to class if they want to, but if they can't be bothered to attempt to get a degree, that is on them.

For me it all comes back to many many of the kids playing D1 sports really have no business in college to begin with. I am ready to start paying revenue sports athletes a small stipend and let them go to class if they want to, but if they can't be bothered to attempt to get a degree, that is on them.
I guess I disagree but I just want the corruption in college sports to be gone. Bring things into the open.

Would love to see players have another option to reach their NBA dreams without going to college. Let the NBA set up their own minor league system like MLB. Players going to D1 would need to sign a contract with the school to stay at least 2 seasons or pay back their scholarships. I really don't care if college basketball doesn't have the best players. I would rather they were there for the right reasons and stayed long enough to learn their names. This would lead to hopefully a level playing field in recruiting and less of the chaos we see today. I know, I know, never happen.

I sense the four year players are a bit more in vogue than they used to be. The Phoenix Suns got Mikal Bridges this year, a four year player with two national championships at Villanova. He had a solid rookie year and appears to have a good future. The Suns announcers talked from time to time how many of the one and done players aren't really NBA ready when they come into the league and they play their way into the G League. Of course, there are exceptions but a four year player's skill set is usually better developed.

I sense the four year players are a bit more in vogue than they used to be. The Phoenix Suns got Mikal Bridges this year, a four year player with two national championships at Villanova. He had a solid rookie year and appears to have a good future. The Suns announcers talked from time to time how many of the one and done players aren't really NBA ready when they come into the league and they play their way into the G League. Of course, there are exceptions but a four year player's skill set is usually better developed.

The draw of the younger players is all potential. They in theory have more room to grow. Not saying it's right. But that's the thought process.

Not saying it’s the case with TC. I don’t know. But I think a decent percentage of these guys view the educational part as a distraction. They don’t want class interfering with working on their games.

I would want to take advantage of the free education but that’s just not the way everyone thinks. They see and they’re being told that the window is small. I think there were two seniors invited to the draft combine.

I think this is 100% it. These kids don't want to go to school they just want to play basketball professionally. Why go to college where you have limited contact with coaches and you also have to go to school and study for finals? It really doesn't make sense, especially when NBA teams these days are targeting more and more youth. NBA teams would rather take a raw 19 year old with immense potential than a seasoned 23 year old senior with a lot of mileage.

Its also why I think this current model is archaic and is about to be blown up.

It’s crazy how many underclassmen leave early. You have to wonder if they are getting bad information at some point.
I wonder:

How many get bad information?

How many "voices" in their family and friends tell them they are NBA amazing? ($$$ the sooner the better)

How many of these NBA "talent" players have the grades and ability to be admitted to the schools they attend in the first place, albeit for a short time, if they weren't money makers for the universities or were on "equal terms" with other students being considered for admission?

How many struggle mightily in college and then disengage thinking they are headed to the NBA anyhow, so why bother, limiting their ability to come back to classes the next semester or year. (Colleges do what they can to create "degrees" or "classes" and provide "mentors" to make it work...wink, wink.

How many, from grade school, are so inundated with shoes, money, recruiting, camps, AAU teams, free things and everyone telling them they are headed for the NBA that most actually believe it?

With exceptions, the system is corrupt, with few voices to speak out. The cash doled out is too big for the NCAA, universities, coaches, players, leech filled companies that dole out shoes etc. to be prophetic voices.

What is left in the wake? Thousands who have little to no chance to live their NBA "dream" many with little to no college credits to show for it, many with broken bodies.

It is quite the cash cow with many piglets sucking off of the Mother Sow.

I would like to hear an "open mike" discussion about it among a group of coaches who play the game straight up.

If you guys remember, the "draft and stash" was a thing for awhile as well.

This article is a little dated, but still interesting. If you scroll down to Washington, you'll see a familiar name:

LINK

How does this work for additional years? Do these players sign a contract with the NBA team that gives them the option to call them up to the NBA (like MLB does with their minor leagues)?

I wonder:

How many get bad information?

How many "voices" in their family and friends tell them they are NBA amazing? ($$$ the sooner the better)

How many of these NBA "talent" players have the grades and ability to be admitted to the schools they attend in the first place, albeit for a short time, if they weren't money makers for the universities or were on "equal terms" with other students being considered for admission?

How many struggle mightily in college and then disengage thinking they are headed to the NBA anyhow, so why bother, limiting their ability to come back to classes the next semester or year. (Colleges do what they can to create "degrees" or "classes" and provide "mentors" to make it work...wink, wink.

How many, from grade school, are so inundated with shoes, money, recruiting, camps, AAU teams, free things and everyone telling them they are headed for the NBA that most actually believe it?

With exceptions, the system is corrupt, with few voices to speak out. The cash doled out is too big for the NCAA, universities, coaches, players, leech filled companies that dole out shoes etc. to be prophetic voices.

What is left in the wake? Thousands who have little to no chance to live their NBA "dream" many with little to no college credits to show for it, many with broken bodies.

It is quite the cash cow with many piglets sucking off of the Mother Sow.

I would like to hear an "open mike" discussion about it among a group of coaches who play the game straight up.

This is really a darn fine post. Thank you.

Cook's attacking the basket. Haven't seen him take an outside shot yet, but I guess it hasn't been necessary.