twitter blowback

Not worked up. You just can't do that in most professional jobs. But even separating that, it comes across immature In a profile job where maturity matters.

Lastly his job brings attention to the nepotism know as the family business. It comes across as the McCaffery brothers level. They arent employees.

Try doing something like that working for Pioneeer Hybrids or Fidelity Bank and Trust in a PR job.....

Fair enough, but, I don't think you can really compare Pioneer Hybrid or a bank job as apples to apples with a Div 1 football program.

I mean, there is no Pioneer Hybrid Nation forums having numerous threads critiquing your job. Nobody is in the news or covering a seed company president or bank president. There is nobody starting threads not knowing anything about seeds or banking but acting like they do or questioning their business decisions. It's just not the same.

Yea, they might have the occasional news article but it is nowhere on the level of people following college football and having opinions about the programs. Not anywhere close.

Regardless of if KF agreed or not it's irrelevant and he knows that. Barnes represents the program when he's tweeting stuff out for recruits and players to see. By doing that he was alienating himself and the program as opposed to helping it. You can't have the season they just did and then try to defend the style of play. After KF had a pressor saying he's going to reevaluate and make changes on things.

And I'm saying all that as if I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't straight up trolling Charlie Jones which I think is a part of what he was doing at the least based on the timing of it. So agreeing or not with the gist of what he said couldn't be less relevant to why he shouldn't have done it. Who else could do that besides Brian and not get lambasted for it?
Oh I definitely agree with ya in the bold. This is why I responded to your other post with the below. I found it funny he was trying to defend the past two years of Iowa's offense. I'm not sure you thought I was agreeing with you but I was. I wasn't questioning you. When I said WTF, I was referring to WTF way Barnes thinking.

Hawkfnntn said:

Exactly. It should be so beneath anyone on the staff of a D1 football program to go there. Prop yourselves up. You don't have to go kicking down to do it. I hope KF is asked about it.

Made me chuckle. LOL! Prop yourself up while you are 125 or below in offense the last two years!

WTF?

Again, I just don't see the big deal, but clearly I am in the minority here. He did not mention anyone by name or even by clear implication. Some of you are reading implication that does not need to be there.

He pointed out that you don't need massive QB/passing yards to win a conference title as a way of DEFENDING the Iowa program and his boss's philosophy. As a recruiter, isn't that exactly what his job is?

I think the reason most of you are upset is not that what he said was really all that offensive, but that you disagree with the message. Meaning, you think he is defending something that most of you think is indefensible; i.e. KF's offensive philosophy. I get that.

Read it again. Who has the right to be offended by this? Unnamed and theoretic recruits who want to go somewhere where they go 5 wide and sling it and who believe Iowa's offense is dumb? OK. Be offended. I guess.

Oh I definitely agree with ya in the bold. This is why I responded to your other post with the below. I found it funny he was trying to defend the past two years of Iowa's offense. I'm not sure you thought I was agreeing with you but I was. I wasn't questioning you. When I said WTF, I was referring to WTF way Barnes thinking.

Made me chuckle. LOL! Prop yourself up while you are 125 or below in offense the last two years!

WTF?
Gotcha all good

Again, I just don't see the big deal, but clearly I am in the minority here. He did not mention anyone by name or even by clear implication. Some of you are reading implication that does not need to be there.

He pointed out that you don't need massive QB/passing yards to win a conference title as a way of DEFENDING the Iowa program and his boss's philosophy. As a recruiter, isn't that exactly what his job is?

I think the reason most of you are upset is not that what he said was really all that offensive, but that you disagree with the message. Meaning, you think he is defending something that most of you think is indefensible; i.e. KF's offensive philosophy. I get that.

Read it again. Who has the right to be offended by this? Unnamed and theoretic recruits who want to go somewhere where they go 5 wide and sling it and who believe Iowa's offense is dumb? OK. Be offended. I guess.

This is where I am at and how I read it. Well stated!

According to Rob and other Iowa media members he is. That's as good a source as you're going to get without hearing it from KF.
I've been heads down for a couple days. Were they reporting it somewhere? I believe it - just want to read more about it.

No, it's much bigger than that. Let me illustrate what this looks like.
View attachment 9616 View attachment 9617 View attachment 9619
I feel like there is insiders information that I am not privy to, because I am not following this. I get that there are larger issues of nepotism concerns within Iowa. I also get that the tweet was quickly taken down, so I guess there is something to all this. You gents seem pretty fired up about this as well.

But again, all I did was read the tweet and without additional context, I don't see what the big deal is about that tweet. Maybe he could have made his point better, but saying that you can win championships without splashy passing stats is not the worst point an employee of Iowa football can make. :)

Several levels to thus. At the worst you have 2 different people being treated differently. Studies do show there is bias in the hiring and firing of coaches and staff.

The minor end is nepotism.

And whether the nepo s are mature enough to have otherwise been hired.
Gotcha. But, let's assume the rumor mill is true and Copeland is being fired, do we know why? Of course not. There are good reasons. I mean, the WR room was a mess this year. The star in the room refused to play and is now transferring. The rest of the room wasn't very good or healthy. Not saying that is all his fault, but its his room. And, what he said in this interview, while certainly true, was also kind of anti-Iowa. He basically said, "its hard to do my job because of the kind of offense we are running." I get it, but....

Obviously, if two people are treated differently, and one is the white coach's relative and the other is a non-relative minority, well that is a real problem. But, I don't know that we are comparing apples to apples. Again, I just don't see the tweet from the SIL as a veiled criticism of Iowa. To the contrary, he is defending the ship.

Gotcha. But, let's assume the rumor mill is true and Copeland is being fired, do we know why? Of course not. There are good reasons. I mean, the WR room was a mess this year. The star in the room refused to play and is now transferring. The rest of the room wasn't very good or healthy. Not saying that is all his fault, but its his room. And, what he said in this interview, while certainly true, was also kind of anti-Iowa. He basically said, "its hard to do my job because of the kind of offense we are running." I get it, but....

Obviously, if two people are treated differently, and one is the white coach's relative and the other is a non-relative minority, well that is a real problem. But, I don't know that we are comparing apples to apples. Again, I just don't see the tweet from the SIL as a veiled criticism of Iowa. To the contrary, he is defending the ship.
Doesn't matter. Given the past, it will impact recruiting. And yes he defended Iowa....like a teenager. Actually more like JBo.

I've been heads down for a couple days. Were they reporting it somewhere? I believe it - just want to read more about it.
I haven't seen it reported.

But, there's a thread here where a poster claimed they heard from someone in the program that Copeland was getting let go.

Rob responded in the thread, "He gone" and explained that it was because of his comments in the interview. Rob's not the type of guy to post something like that if it isn't true.

First and last warning, if you're going to start talking arguing about race being a factor in Copeland's or anyone else's leaving, it goes in OT.

And trying to get around the OT restriction by insinuating racism instead of saying it overtly will get you the same result.

Start a thread over there if that's your bag. I've already deleted posts here because it's starting an argument, and if you feel the need to complain about it it'll get deleted too. OT is there for a reason.

I should clarify that the "he gone" was more of what I believe will happen based on discussions I've had and not a definitive "he gone." That's where my money would be. I think both parties would like to move on.

Doesn't matter. Given the past, it will impact recruiting. And yes he defended Iowa....like a teenager. Actually more like JBo.
I love JBo. Kid can't take a punch but he was fun to follow on social media and he loved Iowa.

That said, I also don't see how this tweet is juvenile. Maybe it was not grammatically awesome, but its Twitter, not a term paper.

I am honestly starting to think I am not reading the right tweet.....

Boy, howdy! Y’all know how to piss people off!

I should clarify that the "he gone" was more of what I believe will happen based on discussions I've had and not a definitive "he gone." That's where my money would be. I think both parties would like to move on.
Thanks for clarifying. I don't know the ins and outs, but I always liked Copeland. I got the sense from the interview that he was frustrated and mentally ready for a change. Seemed like there had to be more to the story than he was too honest in a media interview so Kirk decided to can him.

Thanks for clarifying. I don't know the ins and outs, but I always liked Copeland. I got the sense from the interview that he was frustrated and mentally ready for a change. Seemed like there had to be more to the story than he was too honest in a media interview so Kirk decided to can him.
Being the wide receiver coach under KFz would frustrate the hell out of anyone.

It has nothing to do with that. It's a high up football staff member engaging in twitter fights with fans and spouting off unprofessionally. On top of that he's on a staff where not a single positive thing happened the previous season offensively. On top of that, another staff member (Copeland) is getting fired for non-inflammatory comments in an interview, while the coach's son in law is apparently allowed to get juvenile on twitter with no repercussions.
Agree completely. Having said that, the bigger issue is with Barta. He’s allowed it all to grow and happen on his watch

Perhaps Iowa should combine the WR coach and long snapper coach into one role.
They both have about the same number of touches per game.