Troubling Trend in Hawkeye Recruiting: Too Many Iowans

Not sure why any kid would want to come to play at Iowa the way fans on here are bashing our recruits. In case you haven't been paying attention, the coaches have been trying to get 4 and 5 star players, but those players have not chosen to come. Blame the coaches if you want, but stop insulting the kids that are coming here to play ball.

Would you want to play for Iowa right now? Nuff said....

Something to keep in mind in rival’s recruiting rankings are slightly skewed by the quantity of commitments, in which Iowa has a low relatively low number.

It's not that drastic of a tic up and you just have to take everything into account. I think the Olineman class they got will develop into a pretty stud group. But not next yr or even the year after. It'll be their redshirt sophomore year I hope till they play much if at all. Either one of those qbs could be be pretty good. Neither of them are statues and are athletic which is outside the norm of what they've typically recruited. How about that not one but two athletic qbs born and raised in good ole Iowa... If one of those Qbs and that Oline class do well I think the class will be looked at as a success. But as with all class assessments it'll be 3-4 yrs down the road till it's even remotely fair to judge it.

Iowa kids can be very good players. The undefeated1921 and 1922 teams were comprised mainly of players from Iowa. Later on both Tim Dwight and Tavian Banks were also from Iowa.

Any high school player who has an opportunity to play for Iowa, and does not take it is foolish. There is no better place to play football. The education is stellar, and the program does a great job of developing players for professional football. Not to mention just how great it would be to wear the black and gold at Kinnick stadium. There is so much history, so much excitement, and a great atmosphere for college football. Nothing tops playing for Iowa, NOTHING!

It has now become more than a crutch...once it was go after the 2nd and 3rd tier Iowa boys AFTER hitting New Jersey, Texas, and Florida trail. Now in their LAZY ways, they are hitting Iowa PRIOR to IGNORING the hotbed areas. This has been a LAZY crutch for both Football and Basketball, and have been saying so for decades. If this practice continues, so will the pathetic showings in both sports.

Well, it's all about finding good football players, wherever you find them. I don't care if they're from Iowa, Florida, or the moon..

Being from Iowa doesn't necessarily mean someone can't play.. Tim Dwight was from Iowa, and I'm betting most of us would be glad to have more players like that on our team.

But yeah, if you have a team full of players from Iowa, it's not too likely you're going to be overly competitive. Just not enough legit D1 athletes in this state to fill a football roster. The same is probably true for basketball, but to a much lesser extent, since you only need to have 12-13 on your team.

Lock down the top in-state talent, and then you hopefully have the recruiting chops to get more good talent from other states.

I think the bigger problem I might have is if too many of our skill position guys, or any position where we really need speed, are being filled with too many white guys. O-line, QB, etc. I'm not too concerned about it.

It started the minute KF announced they were not planning on concentrating on Florida & Texas when recruiting. That was a few years ago.

How is it insulting the kids by saying they aren't very good? It's a fact, period. Nobody is calling them names, it's simply a fact that nobody else is recruiting them. I don't blame the kids, but this is all on KF for being such a lousy recruiter and coach.

stop making sense. you gotta stay with the narrative. see?

It has now become more than a crutch...once it was go after the 2nd and 3rd tier Iowa boys AFTER hitting New Jersey, Texas, and Florida trail. Now in their LAZY ways, they are hitting Iowa PRIOR to IGNORING the hotbed areas. This has been a LAZY crutch for both Football and Basketball, and have been saying so for decades. If this practice continues, so will the pathetic showings in both sports.

Once again the problem isn't the Iowa kids they bring in. The have been a staple of Iowa football for over 30 years now, and you are fooling yourself if you don't think the top 4 Iowa kids aren't legit D1 players. Here are the top 4 rated kids in Iowa over the last several years:
2014: Piersbacher, Lazard, Scheel, Nelson
2013: Campos, Wisnieski, Ertz, Raraidon
2012: Darboh, Rogers, Harrington, Malloy
2011: French, Blythe, Krieger-Coble, Lintz
2010: Derby, Scherff, Hoch, Jensen
2009: Davis, Barrent, Wegher, Cotton

There are 4 "misses" on that list, and 1 is due to injury. So hitting on 20 out of 24 recruits would be an awesome %. If Iowa could just lock down it's top 4 players every year, they would be in much better shape than they are currently. They missed on 3 of the top 8 players in the last 2 years, we could use all 3 of them. Yet people like you are claiming that we would be better off if we just skipped on Iowa players, just because they are from Iowa?????Just dumb logic really. Please splan to me how we are better of missing on Piersbacher, Lazard, and Raraidon.

vogs - Please pay attention....nobody is saying there isn't anyone in the state worth going after. What we ARE saying, is that it is TOTALLY unacceptable to be reading that as many as three (3) recruiters during bye week were spotted all TOGETHER watching prep games in-state. That is INEFFICIANT and LAZY recruiting!!!

Last edited:
the Paulsens would have a ton of offers if they wanted to be recruited and the same with Boyle and Cook. They may even have a lot of offers but they never reported them

vogs - Please pay attention....nobody is saying there isn't anyone in the state worth going after. What we ARE saying, is that it is TOTALLY unacceptable to be reading that as many as three (3) recruiters were spotted all TOGETHER watching prep games in-state. That is UNEFFICIANT and LAZY recruiting!!!
ALL CAPS!!

David - If I did that, what I did put in caps would lose it's effectiveness....I'd hate to cheat the reader. BTW, listen to Jon's new podcast starting at 30:08 if you want to hear some disturbing recruiting trends at Iowa.

Once again the problem isn't the Iowa kids they bring in. The have been a staple of Iowa football for over 30 years now, and you are fooling yourself if you don't think the top 4 Iowa kids aren't legit D1 players. Here are the top 4 rated kids in Iowa over the last several years:
2014: Piersbacher, Lazard, Scheel, Nelson
2013: Campos, Wisnieski, Ertz, Raraidon
2012: Darboh, Rogers, Harrington, Malloy
2011: French, Blythe, Krieger-Coble, Lintz
2010: Derby, Scherff, Hoch, Jensen
2009: Davis, Barrent, Wegher, Cotton

There are 4 "misses" on that list, and 1 is due to injury. So hitting on 20 out of 24 recruits would be an awesome %. If Iowa could just lock down it's top 4 players every year, they would be in much better shape than they are currently. They missed on 3 of the top 8 players in the last 2 years, we could use all 3 of them. Yet people like you are claiming that we would be better off if we just skipped on Iowa players, just because they are from Iowa?????Just dumb logic really. Please splan to me how we are better of missing on Piersbacher, Lazard, and Raraidon.
That's not the issue or the problem we are discussing. How many of the players you have listed above, would be starting for Ohio State? I use Ohio State because they are the current BIG champs. I see 4. Or less than 1 per season. That's why you cannot build a BIG title team with so many Iowa players.

That's not the issue or the problem we are discussing. How many of the players you have listed above, would be starting for Ohio State? I use Ohio State because they are the current BIG champs. I see 4. Or less than 1 per season. That's why you cannot build a BIG title team with so many Iowa players.

I'd bet that all of these Iowan's would compete for a starting spot or just outright own a starting spot at OSU. So 1st or 2nd team.

LT - Scherff
C - Blythe
WR - Amara Darboh
DE - Christian French
DT - Matt Hoch
MLB - James Morris (if he could have RS)
OLB/TE - AJ Derby

Piersbacher
Lazard
Campos
Would all eventually compete for a starting spot.....Heck maybe even Rairdan, Nelson could eventually as well.

Problem is Iowa couldn't keep all of those Iowa kids. If Iowa could have kept all those guys home, and RS each one, this years team is a WHOLE LOT BETTER.

I'm not trying to say that Iowa should be getting only Iowa kids. I'm just saying it is IMPERATIVE that we keep the top 4 or 5 kids at home in Iowa. Hayden always got all the top kids in Iowa, and that helped him have the success that he did.

I'd bet that all of these Iowan's would compete for a starting spot or just outright own a starting spot at OSU. So 1st or 2nd team.

LT - Scherff
C-Blythe maybe
WR - Amara Darboh

Piersbacher Maybe
Lazard
Campos Maybe
Would all eventually compete for a starting spot.....Heck maybe even Rairdan, Nelson could eventually as well.

Problem is Iowa couldn't keep all of those Iowa kids. If Iowa could have kept all those guys home, and RS each one, this years team is a WHOLE LOT BETTER.

I'm not trying to say that Iowa should be getting only Iowa kids. I'm just saying it is IMPERATIVE that we keep the top 4 or 5 kids at home in Iowa. Hayden always got all the top kids in Iowa, and that helped him have the success that he did.
That's how I see it.

I'm not trying to say that Iowa should be getting only Iowa kids. I'm just saying it is IMPERATIVE that we keep the top 4 or 5 kids at home in Iowa. Hayden always got all the top kids in Iowa, and that helped him have the success that he did.[/QUOTE]
It's the 5 to 10 other Iowans on the 2 deep roster that is hurting us or the fact that we cannot recruit good enough out of state prospects to beat out those 5 to 10.

That's how I see it.

Got it, so your solution is for Iowa to recruit better than OSU. Welp any coach but KF can do that.....so we won't have any problems once he is replaced.

Seroiusly though, if you are saying that getting recruits to Iowa that have offers from Bama, Missouri, Nebraska, Oregon (the players you claim are a no or a maybe) isn't good enough, then nothing is gonna make ya happy.

It's the 5 to 10 other Iowans on the 2 deep roster that is hurting us or the fact that we cannot recruit good enough out of state prospects to beat out those 5 to 10.

So you do agree with me. Iowa needs to lock down the top 4 or 5 Iowa kids each year. I also agree with you, and would like to see Iowa recruit better that they don't have to take fallback recruits at this time of year (which ususally end up being Iowans).

Latest posts