Troubling Trend in Hawkeye Recruiting: Too Many Iowans

This thread has started to circle.

Fact is that Iowa SHOULD be getting the top kids in the state every year.

But it is also a fact that there's no way you're going to find SPEED (in volume) in-state. Iowa needs speed - period.

"But it is also a fact that there's no way you're going to find SPEED (in volume) in-state."

I thought Iowa was the speed capital of the midwest?

Got it, so your solution is for Iowa to recruit better than OSU. Welp any coach but KF can do that.....so we won't have any problems once he is replaced.

Seroiusly though, if you are saying that getting recruits to Iowa that have offers from Bama, Missouri, Nebraska, Oregon (the players you claim are a no or a maybe) isn't good enough, then nothing is gonna make ya happy.
2 or 3 of those players, each year is NOT good enough for me. That will never make me happy. We need to land 15 players a year that have offers from numerous Power 5 conference teams. And I'm not talking about the Northwesterns, Iowa States, Vanderbilts or any other cellar dweller. Anything less makes us a cellar dweller.

So you do agree with me. Iowa needs to lock down the top 4 or 5 Iowa kids each year. I also agree with you, and would like to see Iowa recruit better that they don't have to take fallback recruits at this time of year (which ususally end up being Iowans).
Absolutely. Heck, if we could lock down the top players in Iowa and then land 4 or 5 highly rated prospects from Illinois, we'd be in much better shape. When I look at that 2 deep roster, I see undersized players across the board.
Our OL averages 283 lbs (I understand those might not be current but the point still stands). Our DL avgs 277 lbs. Our LBs avg 216 lbs!!!
That won't get it done. That's the recipe for .500 football or worse.

For those that think Iowa needs to or can recruit on the same level as OSU needs their head examined... Iowa would be lucky to out recruit OSU for a kid in a class. Let alone an entire class. That's just unrealistic. It was unrealistic 10 years ago and will be so long as Urban Meyer is there. But you know what schools Iowa can set their sights on? Those would be Wisconsin and Nebraska. I would put Iowa just behind those two and I think with all that Iowa has going for them in facilities and fan base that if they had the right coach and momentum they can leap frog those two. You have to crawl before you can run. Let's start winning 9 games at the least and win the BIG west. Then worry about tackling the big boys on the recruiting trail.

Since these teams like o$u rig test scores it is easy for them to get the players that can't make grade. At honest programs like Iowa they actually have to go to class and take their own tests. Iowa should not be forced to remove all academic standards in the way o$u did, but rather o$u should be forced to stop by the ncaa.

Since these teams like o$u rig test scores it is easy for them to get the players that can't make grade. At honest programs like Iowa they actually have to go to class and take their own tests. Iowa should not be forced to remove all academic standards in the way o$u did, but rather o$u should be forced to stop by the ncaa.

Are you basing this on anything? I haven't heard of OSU cheating to get kids eligible to play. If they are that's news to me. The conference has their minimum requirements along with what each school has. Some are tougher then others but that's up to them. If your just jealous of OSU and spouting off that's one thing but if your basing this on something I'd love to see a link to an article written by someone actually accusing them of it with some kind of evidence.

I know someone who went to o$u that saw somethings take place. I suspect the same thing happens at Alabama too. That is why an investigation of both programs is needed to uncover evidence of cheating.

Honestly, I don't care too much where kids come from. What I do care about is that our recent recruiting rankings have been pretty much on par with how we have finished the season. Watching Iowa gainst Tennessee was a painful and visual reminder of how athletically-challenged we are. We looked slow and we looked small. Why? Because we are slow and we are small.

The name of the game is recruiting. Pure and simple. And whatever worked for Iowa 10 years ago, when it came to recruiting, is no longer working.

OF COURSE it is no longer working.... those assistant coaches that brought in the talent from 10 years ago are all gone.

Is this guy for real? Not one person out of four pages of posts in this thread said that we should avoid recruiting Iowa players. How can someone be so obtuse? The fact is, Iowa is a low population state where 97% of the high school kids are white. Sure, you can pull 2 or 3 gems out each year, mainly on the OL. But this staff has become lazy. It knows it misses out on more out of staters than it gets, so it is hunkering down and settling for Iowa kids rather than going after the out of state athletes. No one can deny that at our bye week this year, coach Kirt, Davis, and another assistant spent that valuable off time in...West Des Moines...watching the Dowling Qb who had already committed rather than getting their butts on a plane and selling Iowa to potential LBs, WRs, DL, LB, CBs, etc. who are so desperately needed.

We now have 8 commits from small town kids with few offers and the U of Iowa as the biggest/best university in their community. These guys are low hanging fruit. We are soon going to offer a couple more, which will yield us commits from approximately 10 Iowa/SD kids in one single class. Anyone who thinks that because Iowa produced a Tim Dwight 20 years ago that this class could produce 10 Tim Dwights is out of their mind. Lazy recruiting of kids that would go to Iowa regardless of who is the head coach or how the Hawks play is not the recipe for success. Rather, there is a reason most of our recruiting classes prior to the hire of Brian Ferentz and the new group maxed out at 3 Iowa commits.

Once again the problem isn't the Iowa kids they bring in. The have been a staple of Iowa football for over 30 years now, and you are fooling yourself if you don't think the top 4 Iowa kids aren't legit D1 players. Here are the top 4 rated kids in Iowa over the last several years:
2014: Piersbacher, Lazard, Scheel, Nelson
2013: Campos, Wisnieski, Ertz, Raraidon
2012: Darboh, Rogers, Harrington, Malloy
2011: French, Blythe, Krieger-Coble, Lintz
2010: Derby, Scherff, Hoch, Jensen
2009: Davis, Barrent, Wegher, Cotton

There are 4 "misses" on that list, and 1 is due to injury. So hitting on 20 out of 24 recruits would be an awesome %. If Iowa could just lock down it's top 4 players every year, they would be in much better shape than they are currently. They missed on 3 of the top 8 players in the last 2 years, we could use all 3 of them. Yet people like you are claiming that we would be better off if we just skipped on Iowa players, just because they are from Iowa?????Just dumb logic really. Please splan to me how we are better of missing on Piersbacher, Lazard, and Raraidon.

Uhh, the only guy trying to rig his test score in the entire Big 10 was a certain Iowa RB recruit.

Ferentz has always been weak at recruiting top tier skill recruits. Recruits from iowa are usually linemen, backers, and tight ends. There has been quite a few years of those in the NFL.

Basically sounds like someone is saying too many white guys.

Is this guy for real? Not one person out of four pages of posts in this thread said that we should avoid recruiting Iowa players. How can someone be so obtuse? The fact is, Iowa is a low population state where 97% of the high school kids are white. Sure, you can pull 2 or 3 gems out each year, mainly on the OL. But this staff has become lazy. It knows it misses out on more out of staters than it gets, so it is hunkering down and settling for Iowa kids rather than going after the out of state athletes. No one can deny that at our bye week this year, coach Kirt, Davis, and another assistant spent that valuable off time in...West Des Moines...watching the Dowling Qb who had already committed rather than getting their butts on a plane and selling Iowa to potential LBs, WRs, DL, LB, CBs, etc. who are so desperately needed.

We now have 8 commits from small town kids with few offers and the U of Iowa as the biggest/best university in their community. These guys are low hanging fruit. We are soon going to offer a couple more, which will yield us commits from approximately 10 Iowa/SD kids in one single class. Anyone who thinks that because Iowa produced a Tim Dwight 20 years ago that this class could produce 10 Tim Dwights is out of their mind. Lazy recruiting of kids that would go to Iowa regardless of who is the head coach or how the Hawks play is not the recipe for success. Rather, there is a reason most of our recruiting classes prior to the hire of Brian Ferentz and the new group maxed out at 3 Iowa commits.

The only obtuse person in this thread is you. It is obvious you know very little to nothing about recruiting. The staff evaluates the top talent in the state from Jr. film. It also has nearly every single kid who might ever sniff a football scholarship in for camps and can evaluate them even further.

The staff then takes all of these kids and decided on who should be early offers (based on Jr. film and camp evaluations). They then make offers accordingly.

Same thing with the QB's, both are early offers, and not only that they are players the staff wanted AFTER getting a commitment from a 4* QB at the time. They still wanted these kids. You say it is because they are "lazy"....if they were "lazy" they would have stopped recruiting QB after they got a 4* kid?

Your argument has no basis in fact. I almost cry a little bit for the people who would actually hire someone like you to represent them. If what you say is true Iowa would have also offered Meeker (#1 player in the state according to one service), yet he had been to several Iowa camps, was in Iowa's backyard, and they passed on him. Another Iowa kid Julian Good-Jones had offers from KState, Oregon St., and ISU, but NOT Iowa. So your idiotic statement that the Iowa staff is lazy and so it is hunkering down and settling for Iowa kids rather than going after the out of state athletes, just doesn't make sense. There were actually more players in Iowa this year that had D1 offers that if they were "lazy" they could have offered.

And the 19th commit to the U of I football team is....drum roll...a UNI decommit out of the metropolis of Pella, Iowa. The trend continues, as this staff intends to set a record for most small town kids in one Big 10 recruiting class.

Garret Jansen. 6'1, 250lb DL. 2 star recruit. There's a pretty good chance he won't be seeing the field as a D1 defensive linemen unless he spends several years in the weight room.

Is this the former Cincy commit or is this someone else?

no.... Cincy asked him to grey-shirt last week after he was committed since last summer camp to them.... very tough kid, give 2 years, he'll play somewhere

I remember the last tight end prospect from the Pella Monroe Prairie City area who decommitted from UNI.

no.... Cincy asked him to grey-shirt last week after he was committed since last summer camp to them.... very tough kid, give 2 years, he'll play somewhere

Latest posts