Transfer Portal Impact

Oh plzzz. How many NFL teams operate the same? I'd take the Sea Hawks with Russell Wilson. Brady about any day, but compare to Petras? Joe M...CJ similarities? Steve Young was mobile. How many statues are still out there and how many teams run with such limited plays. Believe what you want.

Where is the output wins to show for 9th? Should get a championship once in a while.
You just really don't have a clue of how dynamic of a system they actually run, do you?

You ask any ex-coach who an analyst. They'd tell you. Like Urban Myers. Not a huge Urban Myers fan, but when he would have his segment on the BIG Network breaking down tape on teams, it was phenomenal.

I’ll believe what I hear from reputable people who’ve been around the sport first

If you actually read for comprehension, you’d see I was using that point as demonstration that Iowa is better at putting guys in the NFL than winning college football games. I wasn’t saying it was a brag-worthy stat. Either take notes or keep up.
I've not usually seen you read for comprehension, but for gas lighting of which you have a good talent for.

He started off at UCF before going to Hinds and then to us. Sat for most of the first yr and started for just the 1. There's diamonds out there still just gotta find em. Sitting on Petras forever and not looking is a tough thing to watch
My hope is Labas is awesome like the press seem to insinuate. I’ve given up on Petras vs Padilla, KF has shown he’s got a favorite horse and he’s going to use him no matter what. He can say all day long that it’s a competition but we know better.

I’ll believe what I hear from reputable people who’ve been around the sport first

If you actually read for comprehension, you’d see I was using that point as demonstration that Iowa is better at putting guys in the NFL than winning college football games. I wasn’t saying it was a brag-worthy stat. Either take notes or keep up.
^^ I got that from what you stated^^.

I've not usually seen you read for comprehension, but for gas lighting of which you have a good talent for.
You don’t know what gaslighting means. In fairness to you, most people don’t. It’s an abstract concept.

My hope is Labas is awesome like the press seem to insinuate. I’ve given up on Petras vs Padilla, KF has shown he’s got a favorite horse and he’s going to use him no matter what. He can say all day long that it’s a competition but we know better.
From last years sample, I don't think either really changes the outcome of games all that much. I think the system they run keeps them both pretty close as far as competition. Now if Labbas can bring a little sumpin' sumpin' and push them and separate himself from them a bit, that'd be a good thing.

You just really don't have a clue of how dynamic of a system they actually run, do you?

You ask any ex-coach who an analyst. They'd tell you. Like Urban Myers. Not a huge Urban Myers fan, but when he would have his segment on the BIG Network breaking down tape on teams, it was phenomenal.
Actually more than you think. Fry is a unique individual. Of course there are certain things that Iowa does that mimick that. I've also read in digging that Iowa players are very well developed physically but on the O line lack certain fundamentals and is a liability though it's been awhile since that has been brought up.

Still, my point is in the pudding. Where are the results to indicate such success. Hawks should be consistently top 15 for the season most year and year out. Certainly there has been a run on that.

All it takes though is to watch KF teams closely with open attitude and see that something is off. So to make the reference to NFL it warrants further review.

There are a few sayings around here that don't add up. Like for instance when KF came the cupboard was bare. Totally untrue. KF struggled in the transition and yes had development to do. That Iowa is this minor league NFL team just isn't fully accurate.

Dude, that was like Kirk Ferentz's first couple years and the cupboard was bare as far as the roster. Kirk was merely trying to get the excitement back and the thing rollin' at that point. It was out of pure desperation at that point.
So if bringing in a JC transfer is ok when you're new desperate and have a bad roster why wouldn't it be ok to look for a transfer when the current QB stinks too? Same logic only the program has been winning for the most part. Think about it if Iowa had Nebraskas record over the last 2 yrs while Petras has started with the same stats would he be getting a 3rd yr? Hell no. We've won despite the QB play not because of it. You can't hide your qb as much as KF has been trying to do so. You can win 8, 9 sometimes 10 games this way but that's pretty much the ceiling. For some that's good enough I suppose to others that's settling

Unless Petras gets hurt it's his gig... Dude has the longest leash a QB could hope for. I hope folks don't think I hate the kid cause I don't. If I'm proven wrong about what I think we'll see then great. He just has to show it to me first. He's got 20 something starts of poor play on tape. How am I supposed to predict a drastic improvement based on what we've seen? A camp with the Mannings?...

I don't think anyone ideally wants Iowa to go shopping for a QB every other yr in the portal. Of course not. But when the QB you currently have is going into yr 3 and has been rated the 90 something worst QB in all of QB for the duration he's been here and you don't trust the others on the roster behind him either then is that not a recipe to at least open the door to look?

And again I'm not saying to just take someone to take someone. I understand how fit more than matters. I think too many of us are discounting just how bad Petras has been. We discount all those other names but come on how's Petras any better? He's a great guy. Teammates love him. It isn't personal. It wasn't personal with Jake Rudock or Jake Christensen either. They needed to be replaced too
I don't disagree Petras has not been up to par. But I do think a big reason last year was the O-Line. The lack of a running game really hurts a play action passing team like Iowa. And the pass blocking itself has been well documented as one of the worst in the B1G last year.

I don't think there was anyone in the portal this year that we had a shot at, that would have been better under those circumstances.

Bazelak is an air it out guy who wants to go to a passing team. We are not that in any sense of the word.

Cameron Ward, same thing. He comes from FCS and a conference that's all passing and you can put up video game stats. Iowa would not be somewhere he'd go and B1G defenses would eat him alive.

Rattler is a prima donna looking for Instagram fame and is a me-first player. Exact opposite of the culture at Iowa.

Thompson, no thanks. It's telling that he went to nebraska and had no better offers, and he left because someone else transferred in. You think he's going to go someplace where he's not a guaranteed starter for his 5th year?

Penix, this one you have to be joking, right? Two season-ending torn ACLs, season-ending torn AC joint in his throwing shoulder last year, and the guy has never played even half a full season of football.

Kedon Slovis would have been worth kicking the tires on, but he ended up following his girlfriend to Pittsburgh. Slovis showed any interest coming to Iowa I would be in. IMO, his skill set would have fit in well with Iowa.

Last edited:
Kedon Slovis would have been worth kicking the tires on, but he ended up following his girlfriend to Pittsburgh. Slovis showed any interest coming to Iowa I would be in. IMO, his skill set would have fit in well with Iowa.

Can he even throw a ball after what AJ Epenesa did to his shoulder in that bowl game? What a play.

I don't disagree Petras has not been up to par. But I do think a big reason last year was the O-Line. The lack of a running game really hurts a play action passing team like Iowa. And the pass blocking itself has been well documented as one of the worst in the B1G last year.

I don't think there was anyone in the portal this year that we had a shot at, that would have been better under those circumstances.
From the comments here and elsewhere on this thread, it sounds like we should have been looking in the portal for OL help.

I was high on Petras from his high school tape as he was throwing deep all the time by leading his receivers who just ran under the ball. Can't do that at Iowa. He just has had so many things go wrong almost on every series. Throws low, throws high, throws behind, then suddenly a bullet pass that goes for 30 yards. Then he takes a sack when he doesn't pick up the blitz and hit his outlet. What really kills him is the throws that took a series to set up and Brian has called the right play and he whiffs on a wide open receiver. You only get 2 or 3 of those a game. How many plays in the last 2 years were called that should have gone for td's but due to a missed block, bad throw, or bad luck went nowhere. I don't know if Petras can turn it around but man I hope we don't have to watch it all year again. Best pocket passers in the NFL and college get rid of the ball quickly, which means they instantly identify the matchups and make quick decisions. Petras likes to hold the ball and wait for his receivers to come clean. If you look at what Purdue did to us the ball was in the air before the receiver made his break. I like the schedule with only two games I think we can't win. If Petras or whoever can simple connect on one or two of those passes per game that means another division crown.

I talk to a former KF player from West Lyon often. He says the offensive scheme is the closest thing he's seen to how it's structured in the NFL without it being in the NFL. According to him, Kirk and KOK basically just did at Iowa what they were doing in the bigs. Has its positives and negatives. This player said it's ridiculously hard to learn and not necessarily structured for someone to pick it up quickly. And it's also one of the reasons Iowa puts way more successful players in the NFL than almost every other school out there.

You can see here that Iowa is ranked 9th in the nation with 49 active players in the league. That's incredibly elite company and nowhere near where we stack up in the college game as a whole. I want wins above NFL players, but it's no coincidence when players and coaches say our system isn't easy to pick up. Double edged sword in a sense.
Interesting info.
I believe all the schools above Iowa on the list (and some below) have won a conference championship and/or appeared in the FBS playoffs in the last 15 years. Iowa is the outlier.
Seems counter to the perception that Iowa doesn't have the talent of the elite schools. Apparently, we do.

Last edited:
I was high on Petras from his high school tape as he was throwing deep all the time by leading his receivers who just ran under the ball. Can't do that at Iowa. He just has had so many things go wrong almost on every series. Throws low, throws high, throws behind, then suddenly a bullet pass that goes for 30 yards. Then he takes a sack when he doesn't pick up the blitz and hit his outlet. What really kills him is the throws that took a series to set up and Brian has called the right play and he whiffs on a wide open receiver. You only get 2 or 3 of those a game. How many plays in the last 2 years were called that should have gone for td's but due to a missed block, bad throw, or bad luck went nowhere. I don't know if Petras can turn it around but man I hope we don't have to watch it all year again. Best pocket passers in the NFL and college get rid of the ball quickly, which means they instantly identify the matchups and make quick decisions. Petras likes to hold the ball and wait for his receivers to come clean. If you look at what Purdue did to us the ball was in the air before the receiver made his break. I like the schedule with only two games I think we can't win. If Petras or whoever can simple connect on one or two of those passes per game that means another division crown.

I always said throwing into windows is what separates the average QB from the elite QB. That is what made Kurt Warner so good at the NFL level. He made quick decisions and trusted himself throwing into windows to let the receivers meet the ball. Playing Arena football for a few years prob helped Warner a lot as it is such a fast and condensed game.

But could they do better if the circumstances are better? We have 20 starts or more that we've seen from Petras now over 2 yrs worth it's not some small sample size. He's gotten his more then fair shot. I don't remember a starter that's played as poorly as him getting a 3rd year either.

Latest posts