Transfer Portal Impact

SCHawkeye2

2022 Transfer Big-Ten Football Team Rankings (247sports.com)

Per the above. Iowa is last in the B10 in transfer portal activity, 124th overall.
Of course, it remains to be seen to what extent 'activity' will correlate to success in the coming season - B10 and nationally.
Obviously, some teams are looking to the portal for immediate help to improve their struggling programs (Hello Nebraska). New coaching staffs also seem to be very active when looking to revamp the personnel to better fit their program (USC). Recently successful programs (Georgia, Clemson) appear to be confident to play with the talent they have.

Iowa appears to be a 'net' loser in this years shuffle. We lost 2 skill players from our two-deep to another B10 rival, while picking up one FCS transfer at TE.
My question is why Iowa is so 'non-participatory' in this aspect of recruiting talent?
- Does our staff feel there are no positions in need of an upgrade in talent?
- Is Iowa unable to attract transfer talent to the program?

2022 Transfer Big-Ten Football Team Rankings (247sports.com)

Per the above. Iowa is last in the B10 in transfer portal activity, 124th overall.
Of course, it remains to be seen to what extent 'activity' will correlate to success in the coming season - B10 and nationally.
Obviously, some teams are looking to the portal for immediate help to improve their struggling programs (Hello Nebraska). New coaching staffs also seem to be very active when looking to revamp the personnel to better fit their program (USC). Recently successful programs (Georgia, Clemson) appear to be confident to play with the talent they have.

Iowa appears to be a 'net' loser in this years shuffle. We lost 2 skill players from our two-deep to another B10 rival, while picking up one FCS transfer at TE.
My question is why Iowa is so 'non-participatory' in this aspect of recruiting talent?
- Does our staff feel there are no positions in need of an upgrade in talent?
- Is Iowa unable to attract transfer talent to the program?
Maybe our staff doesn’t want to shit on the players it recruited.

We all know Iowa isn’t going to pick up a transfer QB, so what other players do you feel should be replaced by a transfer, and what players who were or are in the portal do you feel we should’ve picked up for those spots?

It’s only fair to answer the question if you think we didn’t go to the portal enough.

We all know Iowa isn’t going to pick up a transfer QB, so what other players do you feel should be replaced by a transfer, and what players who were or are in the portal do you feel we should’ve picked up for those spots?

It’s only fair to answer the question if you think we didn’t go to the portal enough.
There was a lot of chatter from talking heads this off season that of all things Iowa should have been looking to do that. But as you said by doing so you're pushing out who you already have. Tough to make future recruiting pitches by doing that. It's one thing if Petras and or Padilla left and a hole was there. It's like the staff figures they made their bed so they are going to lay in it.

I cant presume to know the answer. I am not connected enough to know prior to the season where we have talent gaps in our two deeps. But I do know that virtually every year we have some shortcomings, often glaringly obvious, once the season begins. I suspect (hope) the Iowa staff is self-aware of such gaps in advance of the season and would make some effort to address these gaps via the transfer portal.

Thus, the questions regarding our avoidance of the transfer portal remain.

A. Do we not need help at any positions?
OR
B. Are we unable to attract / unwilling to seek help where we need it?

As I am confident the answer is not A, I suspect the answer is B.

There was a lot of chatter from talking heads this off season that of all things Iowa should have been looking to do that. But as you said by doing so you're pushing out who you already have. Tough to make future recruiting pitches by doing that. It's one thing if Petras and or Padilla left and a hole was there. It's like the staff figures they made their bed so they are going to lay in it.
We all live in a nation that is largely right to work. Replacing talent to upgrade is real life. Losing talent is real life.

Didn't know football was a govt job. Maybe it's a part of the participation ribbon culture. Or satisfied w OK. Glad Ruddock got his feelings hurt.

Would you rather have Ragani upset or Jone's upset? Football is life. Life means disappointments. The idea that recruits will be upset at bringing in a transfer. How many of the current players would really be upset with an upgrade at QB? Maybe Goodson might have not had as hard of hits with a real threat at QB aside from the sneak.

If Kirk said "We have to do better at the QB position. We are bringing in (insert transfer QB here). The competition remains open and all will have a equal shot at the starting QB position".
As the 12th ranked QB in the B10, how could Petras feel betrayed or outraged by this move? I actually think he is surprised such a move has NOT happened.

It's probably a good thing when a team isn't at the top of a list like this. It probably indicates you have a solid program and system, IMO.

People think the transfer portal is chocked with high end recruits but it just isn't the case. The majority of the players are scrambling for playing time for various reasons, have a messy background, maybe grade issues or just bad apples. It's plucking the top 1-3% of those players in the portal that may be an advantage.

Again, it's probably a good sign actually.

JadedBonyBarnacle-size_restricted.gif

If you look long enough, you can see some QBs, wide-receivers, and even a modern offensive playbook in there. ;)

It's probably a good thing when a team isn't at the top of a list like this. It probably indicates you have a solid program and system, IMO.

People think the transfer portal is chocked with high end recruits but it just isn't the case. The majority of the players are scrambling for playing time for various reasons, have a messy background, maybe grade issues or just bad apples. It's plucking the top 1-3% of those players in the portal that may be an advantage.

Spot on. You read about the Jordan Addisons who transferred from Pitt to USC after winning the award for the top receiver last year. Those are few and far between, and we aren't getting those type of players anyway.

I like the fact that we're at the bottom of this list. It shows stability and a good culture, IMO.

Spot on. You read about the Jordan Addisons who transferred from Pitt to USC after winning the award for the top receiver last year. Those are few and far between, and we aren't getting those type of players anyway.

I like the fact that we're at the bottom of this list. It shows stability and a good culture, IMO.
Yep. That's what I was trying to imply.

And would you even want someone like that on your team. It just screams "individual" and not "team". Obviously, the coaches at Pitt put him in a position to succeed and got the football thrown his way. Gave him everything he wanted, but, it wasn't good enough. He needed more "me". Ya really want a guy like that who completely is only worried about himself? That's going to come out in the locker room at USC at some point. No thanks!

Let's look at available WRs which is one of the spots people say we "need help"

These are the "best" players sorted by star rank on 24/7 which is BS, but I digress...

Ray Rose - First team was UNC, didn't play, transferred to East Carolina. Didn't play at East Carolina and wants to transfer again.

AJ Davis - bench player at UAB, 10 catches, 95 yds, no TDs.

Deangelo Gibbs - First team was Georgia, played a couple games at DB. Transferred to Tennessee and switched to WR, didn't play a single snap. Wants to transfer again.

Jonathon Mann - 3rd year guy at Minnesota, has never played a snap.

QB, you say? I'll save myself the work and link you to what's right here.

There's literally no one in the portal anymore who would be an upgrade. If there are players already signed somewhere else that you think would've come here AND been an upgrade I'd love to hear which ones.

If Kirk said "We have to do better at the QB position. We are bringing in (insert transfer QB here). The competition remains open and all will have a equal shot at the starting QB position".
As the 12th ranked QB in the B10, how could Petras feel betrayed or outraged by this move? I actually think he is surprised such a move has NOT happened.
Name a QB either in the portal now or who was in the portal earlier, who would have been an upgrade and who would've come to Iowa. Because burning a scholarship on a "maybe" is absolutely stupid.

Name a QB either in the portal now or who was in the portal earlier, who would have been an upgrade and who would've come to Iowa. Because burning a scholarship on a "maybe" is absolutely stupid.

We have to be aggressive. Baker Mayfield was a transfer. Justin Fields. Transfer. Joe Burrow. Transfer. We can land guys who are early first round NFL picks easily if we just get out there and try. Negative fans like you drag the whole program down.

We have to be aggressive. Baker Mayfield was a transfer. Justin Fields. Transfer. Joe Burrow. Transfer. We can land guys who are early first round NFL picks easily if we just get out there and try. Negative fans like you drag the whole program down.
The number of people here who'll take you seriously is mind-boggling.

Several
Blazek, Ward, Rattler. Worth a shot, Thompson, Penix.

The QB position is obviously a weak spot. Tell me none of them would come to Iowa. Where I agree with you is the Hawks need a port OC. But if the 2 headed Ferentz machine was serious in changing, they could sell that. Not like KF hasn't (reluctantly) had non game managing good qbs.

Latest posts