Transfer Portal Impact

Several
Blazek, Ward, Rattler. Worth a shot, Thompson, Penix.

The QB position is obviously a weak spot. Tell me none of them would come to Iowa. Where I agree with you is the Hawks need a port OC. But if the 2 headed Ferentz machine was serious in changing, they could sell that. Not like KF hasn't (reluctantly) had non game managing good qbs.
Bazelak is an air it out guy who wants to go to a passing team. We are not that in any sense of the word.

Cameron Ward, same thing. He comes from FCS and a conference that's all passing and you can put up video game stats. Iowa would not be somewhere he'd go and B1G defenses would eat him alive.

Rattler is a prima donna looking for Instagram fame and is a me-first player. Exact opposite of the culture at Iowa.

Thompson, no thanks. It's telling that he went to nebraska and had no better offers, and he left because someone else transferred in. You think he's going to go someplace where he's not a guaranteed starter for his 5th year?

Penix, this one you have to be joking, right? Two season-ending torn ACLs, season-ending torn AC joint in his throwing shoulder last year, and the guy has never played even half a full season of football.

If Kirk said "We have to do better at the QB position. We are bringing in (insert transfer QB here). The competition remains open and all will have a equal shot at the starting QB position".
You really think a good QB is going to transfer to a team whose head coach says that?

If Kirk said "We have to do better at the QB position. We are bringing in (insert transfer QB here). The competition remains open and all will have a equal shot at the starting QB position".
As the 12th ranked QB in the B10, how could Petras feel betrayed or outraged by this move? I actually think he is surprised such a move has NOT happened.
Oh I don't disagree with a word of this. I'm just stating how the staff and current guys probably look at it. I for one think since the portal is what it is to not use it to improve (which we do cherry pick with) is not doing their job. It's one thing to try and say nobody wants to come. It's another to just dismiss the whole thing and not even look around and try.

Can anyone honestly say that Spencer was as good as it gets based on available QBs in the portal since the end of last yr? Man Spencer stunk by every measurable way of grading a QB there is. And that's over 2 seasons of starting not just 1. He's more then gotten a fair shot. More folks would have understood had the staff wanted to move on from him instead of tripling down on keeping him. But instead here we are. It's now or never for Petras and BF both we'l see if they can swim or not

Teams that participate heavily in the portal are likely going to suck and Iowa has never been extremely involved in it and hasn't sucked. So there's that.
Well the QB play sure has sucked the last couple yrs... We do use the portal though that's the thing. We cherry pick here and there when needed. It's just interesting when the QB position gets included with it. I see the angles of why they don't and why they should. What's right and what's not is usually only answered by hindsight. I have a tough time with the staff not looking.

I think with a tool to possibly improve available and ignoring it isn't very smart. I'm not saying they needed to bring in another D1 qb just for the sake of doing so. But they coulda entertained the idea of it and let the landscape of football know hey there's a Big 10 QB position open for competition. Maybe that woulda changed a QBs mind that wasn't going to leave where they were otherwise.

Ideally, I'd rather do what we've done and develop our own. But when you swing and miss on a guy like Petras you can't be afraid to cut the cord either. It's a two-way street. And if the other guys behind him aren't ready/good enough then the portal is just sitting there wide open almost 24/7

Spot on. You read about the Jordan Addisons who transferred from Pitt to USC after winning the award for the top receiver last year. Those are few and far between, and we aren't getting those type of players anyway.

I like the fact that we're at the bottom of this list. It shows stability and a good culture, IMO.
1659461355303.png

Or as stale (in risk taking) as this 1982 high school cafeteria food.;) Nah, we have to remember, as terrible as the offense can be, we were in the BTT game last year.

Bazelak is an air it out guy who wants to go to a passing team. We are not that in any sense of the word.

Cameron Ward, same thing. He comes from FCS and a conference that's all passing and you can put up video game stats. Iowa would not be somewhere he'd go and B1G defenses would eat him alive.

Rattler is a prima donna looking for Instagram fame and is a me-first player. Exact opposite of the culture at Iowa.

Thompson, no thanks. It's telling that he went to nebraska and had no better offers, and he left because someone else transferred in. You think he's going to go someplace where he's not a guaranteed starter for his 5th year?

Penix, this one you have to be joking, right? Two season-ending torn ACLs, season-ending torn AC joint in his throwing shoulder last year, and the guy has never played even half a full season of football.
For one scholarship risk.... yes I'd take Penix. I can think of a few successful QBs who were "me first" as you describe that worked out well. Do you want a game changer or a manager? CJ Stanzi Tate were all pretty me first in a sense. All happen to be amoung KFs best. Banks was a border collie forced to act like a golden retriever. KF never did get the BC out of him.

You would have passed on Romo and Garapollo in college? Go EIU and actually EIU under those teams didn't exactly not look like Iowa.

Did Iowa not pass more due to the QB? I would bet that many of those guys would come to Iowa under the right conditions.

I don’t think Iowa wants a limited year QB, they’d rather raise them inside the walls of Kinnick. Iowa wants a game manager and not a play maker. Sometimes they accidentally get a play maker too. I think the Oline is to blame for a lot of Iowa’s struggles. I’m fine if Iowa doesn’t use the portal for the most important position on the field. How many really good QB’s leave their school because they are too good for it? Don’t most that have been beat out end up there? I don’t get the infatuation personally with the portal as I feel relying on it heavily is a recipe for suck. Picking and choosing and being selective imo makes sense for Iowa in a lot of ways.

Last edited:
Let's look at available WRs which is one of the spots people say we "need help"

These are the "best" players sorted by star rank on 24/7 which is BS, but I digress...

Ray Rose - First team was UNC, didn't play, transferred to East Carolina. Didn't play at East Carolina and wants to transfer again.

AJ Davis - bench player at UAB, 10 catches, 95 yds, no TDs.

Deangelo Gibbs - First team was Georgia, played a couple games at DB. Transferred to Tennessee and switched to WR, didn't play a single snap. Wants to transfer again.

Jonathon Mann - 3rd year guy at Minnesota, has never played a snap.

QB, you say? I'll save myself the work and link you to what's right here.

There's literally no one in the portal anymore who would be an upgrade. If there are players already signed somewhere else that you think would've come here AND been an upgrade I'd love to hear which ones.
Exactly!!...........and it's pretty telling the players that are transferring multiple times. They are scrambling.

I don’t think Iowa wants a limited year QB, they’d rather raise them inside the walls of Kinnick. Iowa wants a game manager and not a play maker. Sometimes they accidentally get a play maker too. I think the Oline is to blame for a lot of Iowa’s struggles. I’m fine if Iowa doesn’t use the portal for the most important position on the field. How many really good QB’s leave their school because they are too good for it? Don’t most that have been best out end up there? I don’t get the infatuation personally with the portal as I feel relying on it heavily is a recipe for suck. Picking and choosing and being selective imo makes sense for Iowa in a lot of ways.
I don't think anyone ideally wants Iowa to go shopping for a QB every other yr in the portal. Of course not. But when the QB you currently have is going into yr 3 and has been rated the 90 something worst QB in all of QB for the duration he's been here and you don't trust the others on the roster behind him either then is that not a recipe to at least open the door to look?

And again I'm not saying to just take someone to take someone. I understand how fit more than matters. I think too many of us are discounting just how bad Petras has been. We discount all those other names but come on how's Petras any better? He's a great guy. Teammates love him. It isn't personal. It wasn't personal with Jake Rudock or Jake Christensen either. They needed to be replaced too

I don’t think Iowa wants a limited year QB, they’d rather raise them inside the walls of Kinnick. Iowa wants a game manager and not a play maker. Sometimes they accidentally get a play maker too. I think the Oline is to blame for a lot of Iowa’s struggles. I’m fine if Iowa doesn’t use the portal for the most important position on the field. How many really good QB’s leave their school because they are too good for it? Don’t most that have been best out end up there? I don’t get the infatuation personally with the portal as I feel relying on it heavily is a recipe for suck. Picking and choosing and being selective imo makes sense for Iowa in a lot of ways.
I talk to a former KF player from West Lyon often. He says the offensive scheme is the closest thing he's seen to how it's structured in the NFL without it being in the NFL. According to him, Kirk and KOK basically just did at Iowa what they were doing in the bigs. Has its positives and negatives. This player said it's ridiculously hard to learn and not necessarily structured for someone to pick it up quickly. And it's also one of the reasons Iowa puts way more successful players in the NFL than almost every other school out there.

You can see here that Iowa is ranked 9th in the nation with 49 active players in the league. That's incredibly elite company and nowhere near where we stack up in the college game as a whole. I want wins above NFL players, but it's no coincidence when players and coaches say our system isn't easy to pick up. Double edged sword in a sense.

Well the QB play sure has sucked the last couple yrs... We do use the portal though that's the thing. We cherry pick here and there when needed. It's just interesting when the QB position gets included with it. I see the angles of why they don't and why they should. What's right and what's not is usually only answered by hindsight. I have a tough time with the staff not looking.

I think with a tool to possibly improve available and ignoring it isn't very smart. I'm not saying they needed to bring in another D1 qb just for the sake of doing so. But they coulda entertained the idea of it and let the landscape of football know hey there's a Big 10 QB position open for competition. Maybe that woulda changed a QBs mind that wasn't going to leave where they were otherwise.

Ideally, I'd rather do what we've done and develop our own. But when you swing and miss on a guy like Petras you can't be afraid to cut the cord either. It's a two-way street. And if the other guys behind him aren't ready/good enough then the portal is just sitting there wide open almost 24/7

Look though. Iowa's not bringing in a Russell Wilson. It's just not the way Kirk and Iowa roll. They develop and groom QB's to their system which takes literally a couple years with most players. They are very limited to portal choices as they aren't going to spend time bringing in a player for 1 or even 2 years, even if a pro-style, because they aren't going to have enough time to groom that player to their system, unless is a very specific player. Also, they are limited because they aren't going to bring in a running QB who doesn't fit their offense or blocking schemes. They teach pocket passing and blocking techniques. They aren't going to re-invent the wheel to bring a Rattler for one year and mess up all their blocking schemes. They have Joey Labbas behind Petras and Padilla. Actually have heard great things about Joey.

It's just not the way Kirk and Iowa rolls. They ain't gunna bring in a Russell Wilson for 1 year.

This!!

When shit goes south, many fans just go to the QB or WR spot. The lines is what usually dictates Iowa's success or lack of success.

I talk to a former KF player from West Lyon often. He says the offensive scheme is the closest thing he's seen to how it's structured in the NFL without it being in the NFL. According to him, Kirk and KOK basically just did at Iowa what they were doing in the bigs. Has its positives and negatives. This player said it's ridiculously hard to learn and not necessarily structured for someone to pick it up quickly. And it's also one of the reasons Iowa puts way more successful players in the NFL than almost every other school out there.

You can see here that Iowa is ranked 9th in the nation with 49 active players in the league. That's incredibly elite company and nowhere near where we stack up in the college game as a whole. I want wins above NFL players, but it's no coincidence when players and coaches say our system isn't easy to pick up. Double edged sword in a sense.

This is what I have always thought and actually have stated to others. I have stated that Iowa is a select few teams that mimick a NFL team the most. They run their practices like an NFL team, their fall camps like an NFL team. They run the same offensive and defensive schemes like an NFL team. Makes sense seeing Belichek's influence on Kirk and the program.

I have also said how it's not that Iowa players get to the NFL, but they are ready to contribute right away in the NFL because they are built and groomed to be NFL ready. There are a lot of players who start the first year from Iowa in the NFL. That just doesn't happen everywhere.

If you wanna be an NFL ready player after 4 years, go to Iowa!

Look though. Iowa's not bringing in a Russell Wilson. It's just not the way Kirk and Iowa roll. They develop and groom QB's to their system which takes literally a couple years with most players. They are very limited to portal choices as they aren't going to spend time bringing in a player for 1 or even 2 years, even if a pro-style, because they aren't going to have enough time to groom that player to their system, unless is a very specific player. Also, they are limited because they aren't going to bring in a running QB who doesn't fit their offense or blocking schemes. They teach pocket passing and blocking techniques. They aren't going to re-invent the wheel to bring a Rattler for one year and mess up all their blocking schemes. They have Joey Labbas behind Petras and Padilla. Actually have heard great things about Joey.

It's just not the way Kirk and Iowa rolls. They ain't gunna bring in a Russell Wilson for 1 year.
Wasn't Brad Banks not our version of Wilson? I mean transferred in didn't he?

He started off at UCF before going to Hinds and then to us. Sat for most of the first yr and started for just the 1. There's diamonds out there still just gotta find em. Sitting on Petras forever and not looking is a tough thing to watch

Oh plzzz. How many NFL teams operate the same? I'd take the Sea Hawks with Russell Wilson. Brady about any day, but compare to Petras? Joe M...CJ similarities? Steve Young was mobile. How many statues are still out there and how many teams run with such limited plays. Believe what you want.

Where is the output wins to show for 9th? Should get a championship once in a while.

Name a QB either in the portal now or who was in the portal earlier, who would have been an upgrade and who would've come to Iowa. Because burning a scholarship on a "maybe" is absolutely stupid.
You have answered my original question.

B. We are unable to attract upgrade talent via the transfer portal.

and that is what I was afraid of....

Last edited:
Wasn't Brad Banks not our version of Wilson? I mean transferred in didn't he?

Dude, that was like Kirk Ferentz's first couple years and the cupboard was bare as far as the roster. Kirk was merely trying to get the excitement back and the thing rollin' at that point. It was out of pure desperation at that point.

Last edited:
Believe what you want.
I’ll believe what I hear from reputable people who’ve been around the sport first

Where is the output wins to show for 9th? Should get a championship once in a while.
If you actually read for comprehension, you’d see I was using that point as demonstration that Iowa is better at putting guys in the NFL than winning college football games. I wasn’t saying it was a brag-worthy stat. Either take notes or keep up.