Tracking 2012 Class Offers

I think he has a good chance to battle Law or Lomax for the safety spot vacated by Bernstine. I am thinking that Lowery will take Prater's place.

I think Flemming is more of a corner prospect perhaps to fill in for Hyde when he's done. Also Lowery is going to be a junior next year so we are not that deep/young at corner.

So.. maybe I'm not following recruiting well the last few weeks.. but apparently we just picked up a DE..

Other offers from Colorado State.. and Navy..

Daumantas Venckus - Yahoo! Sports

Anyone else a little confused?
Yes and no. To fans like us, it is looking like the coaches know they are going to fail on the bigger name guys, and they are just tossing offers out there to guys with few or no other offers. Very discouraging.

Last edited:
Yes and no. To fans like us, it is looking like the coaches know they are going to fail on the bigger name guys, and they are just tossing offers out there to guys with few or no other offers. Very discouraging.

They don't toss out offers to just anybody. There must be something that they really like about him. Mike Daniels only had one other offer (Villanova) and that worked out pretty well. Let's not be pushing the panic button.

I figure they have 7 scholarships left to give and they are right in the mix for a couple of other D linemen (Curry and Ekakitie).

I think the two recent Florida recruits may be players the staff has identified this fall. There are always guys who improve and finally get noticed during their senior season. Venckus was a TE before being moved to DE this season. It is possible he is just a good prospect who finally found his niche at DE.

hopefully he goes to OLB with Ott, both are 6'4, they need about 10-15 lbs each to solve the size problems on the LB's. Ekakitie is high on the Hawks and doesn't need to put on weight, Curry, Clark and Lohn are still on the table, and they don't need 30-40 lbs, personnaly i am tired of 3-4 year projects and under weight players that do need to put on a lot of weight

WR Ian Thomas is no longer considering Notre Dame. The Irish were in his final 4, so it looks like he is now down to Iowa, Vanderbilt, and Rutgers. Another WR, Andre McDonald, picked Vandy over Iowa and others late this summer.

In unrelated news, RB David Smith is no longer considering Iowa.

They don't toss out offers to just anybody. There must be something that they really like about him. Mike Daniels only had one other offer (Villanova) and that worked out pretty well. Let's not be pushing the panic button.

I figure they have 7 scholarships left to give and they are right in the mix for a couple of other D linemen (Curry and Ekakitie).

There's a reason Daniels didn't have many other offers.

He's not that good.

I know, but you have to admit it doesn't look too exciting to get undersized guys that nobody else is chasing.

Well, if you read Hawkeye Insider, you'll see that a lot of times nobody starts chasing these guys until after we make them an offer. Then they start wondering what we know. We've done pretty good with guys that are a little undersized. If we could get a couple of ends that can get to the QB like Purdue always seems to churn out, it might be better than these bigger guys that are too slow. I don't know....maybe they like him at LB. There's gotta be some reason though.

WR Ian Thomas is no longer considering Notre Dame. The Irish were in his final 4, so it looks like he is now down to Iowa, Vanderbilt, and Rutgers. Another WR, Andre McDonald, picked Vandy over Iowa and others late this summer.

In unrelated news, RB David Smith is no longer considering Iowa.

Anyone know what the reasoning is. And who is Ian thomas, have not heard his name on here before.

Anyone know what the reasoning is. And who is Ian thomas, have not heard his name on here before.

Smith probably figures he is going to be sitting for awhile with all the guys ahead of him. That's why I am surprised that we are still in the mix for Garmon.

According to Scout, we haven't even offered Thomas, so I wonder why we would be on his radar now.

Last edited:
Smith probably figures he is going to be sitting for awhile with all the guys ahead of him. That's why I am surprised that we are still in the mix for Garmon.

I honestly doubt that is the reason, but if it is, then good riddance, don't want someone afraid of competition.

Look at the past 3 years, a freshman RB has played in games and contributed. If Garmon thinks he's good enough he should feel good about coming to Iowa, maybe even red shirt.

I honestly doubt that is the reason, but if it is, then good riddance, don't want someone afraid of competition.

Look at the past 3 years, a freshman RB has played in games and contributed. If Garmon thinks he's good enough he should feel good about coming to Iowa, maybe even red shirt.

Why else would we be so high on his list and then off it? We do have a good rep lately of getting freshman RBs on the field, but a lot of them have ended up leaving the program for whatever reasons. I'm not saying it's ok to be afraid of competition, but that is what sold Troy Davis on ISU. He was told you can sit and wait your turn at Miami or play right away for us.

Why else would we be so high on his list and then off it? We do have a good rep lately of getting freshman RBs on the field, but a lot of them have ended up leaving the program for whatever reasons. I'm not saying it's ok to be afraid of competition, but that is what sold Troy Davis on ISU. He was told you can sit and wait your turn at Miami or play right away for us.

I think it is something more than just the depth chart. The depth chart has been the same since the beginning of the season, so why now cool off?
I also think the mutual split has something to do with more than just the depth chart. I'm not saying it didn't play a role, just not the only reason.

Latest posts