Toussaint / Fredrick Backcourt

I know he was hurt part of the year. But he needs to hunt for shots a little more. I felt like there were some deep threes that he passed on a few times this year. We need effective shooters taking shots or Garza will relentlessly be double teamed all next year again.

I know he was hurt part of the year. But he needs to hunt for shots a little more. I felt like there were some deep threes that he passed on a few times this year. We need effective shooters taking shots or Garza will relentlessly be double teamed all next year again.
Agreed. I thought there were games he should have hunted his shot more and taken some contested ones. Especially given we were short handed at times.

Next year he’s going to get even more open shots with a healthy Jbo.

We’ll never know what really went on with Fran and Carton but I’m glad we have Toussaint at pg for three more years.

We’ll never know what really went on with Fran and Carton but I’m glad we have Toussaint at pg for three more years.
From my recollection of following it Fran recruited the heck out of him. Just didn’t seem like he wanted to be a hawkeye and had grander intentions. Ohio State has some pretty good basketball tradition. DJ I don’t think grew up an Iowa fan and didn’t live in Iowa his whole life.

It’s possible that Carton was unhappy that Iowa wasn’t the first to offer (Wisconsin actually was), but Fran typically has a keen eye for young up and coming talent.

In the end we won’t know the entire story. As fate would have it we ended up with Toussaint who I’m very excited about his future here as well.

Toussaint is the point guard we’ve all longed to have for many years. No one has to ask when will we finally get a guard that can break people down, get to the hole and defend. He’s the guy. The wait is over. And I love Fredrick.

IMO...We don’t have to over analyze the roster, etc. moving forward. Teams with very talented backcourts are successful. They make their teammates better and take over the game when necessary. Throw in Connor and Jordan for 2 years and 1 year respectively. Wow!

outside shooting needs work

He was .297 on three pointers. He needs to get that up to 35-38% next year and it will improve his driving game as well. He did seem to improve as the year went on as exemplified by his .375 in conference games.

Connor, by the way, was .362 in conference games from distance. Wieskamp's .340 in conference play wasn't that big a drop off from his .347 overall, but he was smokin hot in January, wore down in February.

He was .297 on three pointers. He needs to get that up to 35-38% next year and it will improve his driving game as well. He did seem to improve as the year went on as exemplified by his .375 in conference games.

Connor, by the way, was .362 in conference games from distance. Wieskamp's .340 in conference play wasn't that big a drop off from his .347 overall, but he was smokin hot in January, wore down in February.

I think the kid has been doing great so don’t take it wrong. If we get to seen play next fall (corona) I hope he explodes onto the scene and does a Garza on us.

Very rarely are you going to see a PG that is super quick can penetrate and is a knockdown shooter from outside as well. Those guys don’t just grow on trees.

Even Duke’s PG the last two years Tre Jones a former 5* recruit shot only 26% from deep as a freshman. He’s heading to the NBA as a likely first round pick after two years of school.

Point being it’s pretty easy to poke holes in someone game. Some of us said when everyone was poking holes in Jbo’s game that a quick guard won’t have his shot. The idea is to get as many good players as possible. I think Toussaint looks like he should have a solid career at this level.

Very rarely are you going to see a PG that is super quick can penetrate and is a knockdown shooter from outside as well. Those guys don’t just grow on trees.

Even Duke’s PG the last two years Tre Jones a former 5* recruit shot only 26% from deep as a freshman. He’s heading to the NBA as a likely first round pick after two years of school.

Point being it’s pretty easy to poke holes in someone game. Some of us said when everyone was poking holes in Jbo’s game that a quick guard won’t have his shot. The idea is to get as many good players as possible. I think Toussaint looks like he should have a solid career at this level.

I think the kid did great and if you look at his stats you could even say he out played Tre Jones his freshman year especially when you look at minutes played per game.

Average Points per game
Tre 9.4
Joe. 6.5

Assist per game
Tre 5.3
Joe 2.9

rebounds per game
Tre 3.8
Joe 2.0

steals per game
Tre 1.8
Joe. 1.2

Here’s the kicker
Minutes played per game

Tre 34.2
Joe. 17.8

Nearly double for Tre

Now take Joe’s stats times two. That should get Hawkeye fans excited!!!

There feel better now that I am praising the kid?

Of the 8 man rotation, Turbo is the only true fresh. Yes, CJ is technically a frosh, but he had a year to learn the ropes.

Turbo will get better. He'll learn to slow down and let the game (and team?) come to him .. ..IF he can be patient and accept his role next year.

Simply my $.02 .. ..

I think the kid did great and if you look at his stats you could even say he out played Tre Jones his freshman year especially when you look at minutes played per game.

Average Points per game
Tre 9.4
Joe. 6.5

Assist per game
Tre 5.3
Joe 2.9

rebounds per game
Tre 3.8
Joe 2.0

steals per game
Tre 1.8
Joe. 1.2

Here’s the kicker
Minutes played per game

Tre 34.2
Joe. 17.8

Nearly double for Tre

Now take Joe’s stats times two. That should get Hawkeye fans excited!!!

There feel better now that I am praising the kid?
I like it.

Of the 8 man rotation, Turbo is the only true fresh. Yes, CJ is technically a frosh, but he had a year to learn the ropes.

Turbo will get better. He'll learn to slow down and let the game (and team?) come to him .. ..IF he can be patient and accept his role next year.

Simply my $.02 .. ..

I like the nickname Turbo. I haven't seen or heard him called that but it fits.

If he can improve his outside shot teams wont be able to sag off him as much. Knowing when to put it in high gear and when to slow the pace is also an important factor in his development. Not being able to be in a gym for a significant amount of time this summer will make it difficult to improve his shooting this summer though which is a bummer.

I like the nickname Turbo. I haven't seen or heard him called that but it fits.

If he can improve his outside shot teams wont be able to sag off him as much. Knowing when to put it in high gear and when to slow the pace is also an important factor in his development. Not being able to be in a gym for a significant amount of time this summer will make it difficult to improve his shooting this summer though which is a bummer.
I've been calling him Turbo for a while.

As for being in the gym, he should be able to do that. Just not a lot of playing games. That's what will hurt.

Yup and a healthy 100% JBo will help with that too. Having 3 shooters spacing the floor for him will be huge. There's a big difference between having 2 or 3 legit shooters on the floor. When we have CM, JT, and Pemsl all on the floor at the same time the O screeches to a halt. JT I think will improve some more hopefully CM will too. But Pemsl is who he is in that regard.

I'd like to see more pick and rolls with JBo and Garza. D is in a pick your poison situation with that. Can't go under on JBo. You can't let Garza do whatever he wants either. They can just read how the D defends them and take what they give.

Not sure if you guys saw this but Anthony Cowan had some pretty high praise for Joe T.

"People are going to be like 'wow', but I think it was the guard from Iowa, Joe Toussaint," Cowan told Katz. "He was really good. That was a guard that because of me, Cassius (Winston) and Zavier (Simpson), didn't get talked about. (Michigan State's) Rocket Watts as well. Both of are young guards that I feel like are going to take over the Big Ten."

Not sure if you guys saw this but Anthony Cowan had some pretty high praise for Joe T.

"People are going to be like 'wow', but I think it was the guard from Iowa, Joe Toussaint," Cowan told Katz. "He was really good. That was a guard that because of me, Cassius (Winston) and Zavier (Simpson), didn't get talked about. (Michigan State's) Rocket Watts as well. Both of are young guards that I feel like are going to take over the Big Ten."

That is some pretty high praise from one of the best PGs in the conference. I think that if JoeT can improve his 3PT shooting to even a CMac level of teams having to respect that shot especially off the dribble, then he could be an all conference level guard at some point over the next 3 years.

That is some pretty high praise from one of the best PGs in the conference. I think that if JoeT can improve his 3PT shooting to even a CMac level of teams having to respect that shot especially off the dribble, then he could be an all conference level guard at some point over the next 3 years.
I think 3pt shot is the easiest target so most people talk about that one. I don’t totally disagree, however he ended up shooting .375 in conference play which is good (small sample). He started knocking them down towards the end of the year.

So along with 3pt shooting, I would say some sort of floater type shot, better decision making, and better finishing at the rim (he missed some bunnies).

A lot of that I think he gains with more minutes, the question is how many minutes is he going to get this year with Jbo coming back. I hope he gets at the very least 20 minutes a game.

That's pretty cool to get that kind of respect. Joe T looks like he could play running back. So fast quick feet. He and Goodson in the same backfield would be amazing...

I think 3pt shot is the easiest target so most people talk about that one. I don’t totally disagree, however he ended up shooting .375 in conference play which is good (small sample). He started knocking them down towards the end of the year.

So along with 3pt shooting, I would say some sort of floater type shot, better decision making, and better finishing at the rim (he missed some bunnies).

A lot of that I think he gains with more minutes, the question is how many minutes is he going to get this year with Jbo coming back. I hope he gets at the very least 20 minutes a game.

Yes he made them at a higher clip but teams still didn't respect him shooting a 3 and would leave him open to play help defense or double Garza.

Better decision making is the biggest thing that will keep him on the floor. I'm not sure if Toussaint will ever have to score many points. But having teams respect him as a shooter, will open up more assist and driving opportunities. Next years team needs him more as a decision maker and perimeter defender. In other words be efficient. Plenty of other people that can make 3s and score. I hope he has a similar sophomore year to CMac. Makes the occasional open 3. Limits turnovers and plays solid defense.

Latest posts