Toussaint / Fredrick Backcourt

Yeah. To clarify, my list is a "2 deep" and the point is to not list anyone twice. In reality, you could make a list/breakdown like this and list guys twice, to reflect how the real playing time will be split.

But I don't know much about Ulis or Perkins. My hunch is that Iowa's backcourt will be REALLY good next year and I don't expect either of the freshman to be big contributors. From what I have heard, Ulis might be the better prospect and more college ready. But he'll have two good PGs in front of him. Between the four upperclassmen guards I have listed in my previous post, I don't see much playing time up for grabs at PG
Ulis has enough size to play either guard spot so it’s quite possible he could get minutes at the one or two. We could also see more Bohannon at the two spot next year.

Perkins is supposed to be a lockdown defender and a little more physical, which could earn him minutes as well.

Either way the point remains that there really isn’t going to be a lot of minutes available for either guy next year (assuming everyone returns).

I think Gesell and Bohannon are both competent PGs. I would say both are above average. Neither is elite. Gesell was more athletic and the better defender. Bohannon is the better shooter (3s and FTs and clutch). Passing ability is comparable. Neither could ever completely reach their full potential due to health issues.

Toussaint already has the better build for the physical Big 10. He loves contact. He’s clearly better at finishing. He’s a better defender. He’s faster and quicker. I think he will be a better passer. I have very little doubt Toussaint will end up the best overall PG of the 3 when his Iowa career ends. All IMO.

Connor played a terrible game and Iowa won, the sign of a good team!
This is true.
Eventually, some team will beat Iowa because they can play 5-on-4 defense.

How much better could this team be with 5 offensive threats.

Yes, Hawkgold, you are right about this.
I just have fun tweaking you some says.

Okay, most days.

Jbo led a team at PG that was an overtime away from the Sweet 16, the closest we’ve got in the Fran era. Just because you don’t consider him a PG doesn’t mean he’s not. That’s the position he plays under Fran. He’s an incredibly high level offensive player in my opinion. Defenses know they can’t leave him and have to defend him way out on the perimeter which opens up others. He’s also a pretty good passer. His clutch gene moves him ahead of Mike G in my opinion. He’s been the best PG of the Fran era to me.

He wound up at the point because Fran failed to recruit a true point guard. Yes, he is an offensive force but he could have done this at the shooting guard position.

But I respect your opinions, at the point I'd prefer Gesell.

JBo should have never been at the point. While he's an excellent passer JBo isn't quick enough defensively or to drive to the hoop. Someone commented earlier about how Iowa lost games because of Gesell's inability to finish at the hoop, which was true, but I also remember a few games where Iowa lost games after JBo tried to dribble drive to the hoop and he couldn't get there and wound up taking a crazy shot or turning the ball over.

I don't think we are far off here, by damn good I mean he was better than average. Gesell wasn't outstanding, I'm not sure I'd even call him great, but he was Frans best PG to date IMO.

What does Bohanoon not being quick defensively have to do with him playing point?

You gotta have a damn good player to play the point to keep Bohannon off the floor. I personally think CJ is already a better all around player than Jordan so he's not going to play the 2 a lot.

You gotta have a damn good player to play the point to keep Bohannon off the floor. I personally think CJ is already a better all around player than Jordan so he's not going to play the 2 a lot.
Our guards will be very fresh next year. None will have to play 30 mpg. And I can’t imagine trying to press us or beat us by fouling late in the game. Yikes!

JBo proved to me this year he can play the point. Ran our offense even in games he wasn’t shooting well, he did a great job of feeding Garza.

JBo proved to me this year he can play the point. Ran our offense even in games he wasn’t shooting well, he did a great job of feeding Garza.

But I guess you have to have the exact skill of being great at getting to the rim to be considered a point guard.

But I guess you have to have the exact skill of being great at getting to the rim to be considered a point guard.
To be great PG I would say yes, to be good you have to be an excellent shooter like JBo and clutch free throw shooter. To be serviceable you have to be able to set up the offense play decent defense, that’s the category I would put most guards in the Fran era.

Wanted to bump this one. Fredrick getting all freshman honors and Toussaint having a really nice game yesterday. I think our backcourt is in pretty good shape for the coming years.

Wanted to bump this one. Fredrick getting all freshman honors and Toussaint having a really nice game yesterday. I think our backcourt is in pretty good shape for the coming years.
I was a little disappointed that Toussaint hardly played in the second half after playing so well in the 1st half. I think Fran leans more toward good free throw shooting and conservative play late in games. And Evelyn is just a little more reliable in both areas. Toussaint just brings a different level of intensity defensively and on the dribble drive than any other player on the team.

Latest posts