Toussaint / Fredrick Backcourt

NikeHawk21

How exciting is it going to be watching these two for the next 3+ years. Crazy to think these guys are both freshman. They compliment each other very well and seem to already have good chemistry. Both pretty good defenders already.

Joe T super quick can get in the lane at will and strong. Fredrick lights out shooter who can put it on the deck and score at the hoop and is also a decent passer. If / when Joe T adds that outside shot they’ll be even better. I love watching these two.

I think Fran is going to have a pretty strong backcourt for the next several years.

Iowa has nearly a perfect team going into next year if they stay/get healthy and all return. They have an all american center, multiple proven 40%+ 3-point shooters, ball handlers, speed, role/glue guys. Its scary to think what they could do.

They could have a rotation that would always have 3 of garza/bohannon/fredrick/wieskamp on the floor at the same time...with JT and Connor in the mix as well as Nunge and some of the new guys. Really the main question mark would be a backup center or a 4 since Nunge has been questionable and coming off an ACL. Good thing Fran has a Center coming in as well as twin forwards in the Murrays.

Next year has colossal disappointment written all over it. What can I say I'm an Iowa bball fan.

Toussaint is the point guard we’ve all longed to have for many years. No one has to ask when will we finally get a guard that can break people down, get to the hole and defend. He’s the guy. The wait is over. And I love Fredrick.

IMO...We don’t have to over analyze the roster, etc. moving forward. Teams with very talented backcourts are successful. They make their teammates better and take over the game when necessary. Throw in Connor and Jordan for 2 years and 1 year respectively. Wow!

I wanted to see how Touissant would do against superior competition before I concluded he is the answer at the 1 and I think I have seen enough to say that yes he is. Far and away the best PG Fran has had and with time will be a legit 1st team All-B1G candidate. We have 1 for sure right now with Garza and potentially 3 more with Weiskamp, Fredrick, and Touissant. And another sitting on the bench with Bohannon. Man alive I hope we can get all our non-senior core players to come back next year. Could be special.

Watching Joe T run our offense the last 5 minutes was a thing of beauty. He has grown leaps and bounds in 20 games and if he keeps playing like that we will be an incredibly tough out no matter what tournament we play in.

yes IT ran the show the last 7 minutes and was in command. he didnt force it, moved with dribble, and took that big opening or big feed pass . got rebounds and loose balls

I'm just so glad that Fran finally brought in a true point guard. I was worried that he was going to rely on his son to be the point. This is what's been missing from Iowa basketball since Gesell.

How exciting is it going to be watching these two for the next 3+ years. Crazy to think these guys are both freshman. They compliment each other very well and seem to already have good chemistry. Both pretty good defenders already.

Joe T super quick can get in the lane at will and strong. Fredrick lights out shooter who can put it on the deck and score at the hoop and is also a decent passer. If / when Joe T adds that outside shot they’ll be even better. I love watching these two.

I think Fran is going to have a pretty strong backcourt for the next several years.

I fear a major letdown next year, I just don’t see how Garza comes back.

Something that impresses me about JT is his ability to learn from mistakes and bounce back.

Fran was upset with him for a quick shot early in the second half. He put Evelyn in right away and sat JT. When he put the freshmen back in, he played great.

Some guys hand their heads or allow the negative to fester. He responds. That’s a great sign, IMO.

I guess I view Garza as similar to Happ a few years ago. He is probably a 2nd round pick this year but another year in college won't hurt his draft stock. So I think he comes back. I think Wieskamp leaving is a much greater possibility. I also wouldnt be surprised to see Pemsl grad transfer. And I question whether PMac will ever be able to be in good enough condition to play in the Big 10.

If Garza and Wieskamp turn pro then I think we still have a solid team but expectations will need to be adjusted. I also think that Kriener has been a solid role player that will be missed next year.

I think something to look for will be if we start running some sets for Joe T, just to add one more dimension to an already highly efficient offense. With CJ, Wieskamp and Garza on the floor with him, that gives us 4 players that can be a focal point at any point in time. CJ and Wieskamp will always draw attention on the perimeter, and if post defenders start to really try to front Garza, Joe T could get in the lane at any time he wants. With his ability to finish around the basket, I think he would consistently either score or draw a foul or both at a high rate.

Something that impresses me about JT is his ability to learn from mistakes and bounce back.

Fran was upset with him for a quick shot early in the second half. He put Evelyn in right away and sat JT. When he put the freshmen back in, he played great.

Some guys hand their heads or allow the negative to fester. He responds. That’s a great sign, IMO.

In the post game Fran even commented that he was impressed with his decision making. The young man is growing up before our eyes and he's gonna keep getting better.

Garza will get NBA feedback that he needs to work on D and passing out the post and while he's shooting great from outside, I think they are going to want to see more of it in volume. His own Dad has said publicly several times that it's doubtful Luka goes to the NBA early. He said as recently as last week they aren't even sure if they will go thru the process (which would be dumb IMO). He said and I am paraphrasing here "we don't need NBA scouts to tell us that Luka is slow, we already know that".

That said, you can never tell but I don't think we're at the the "No way of seeing Garza come back" stage yet. He's a beast tho. If I had to say right now, Luka goes or comes back, gun to the head kind of deal... I would say Luka is back next season but a lot can change over the next 2 months. IMO, it really depends on if Iowa keeps winning. They make a run to the sweet 16 or further and Luka becomes an even bigger name then I could see it.

JT goes into the land of the trees a lot and you're not always sure how it's going to turn out but it's never boring when he does.

He doesn't always, but he has the ability to play faster under control than any of Fran's previous point guards. He absolutely exposed Wisconsin's guards late as there wasn't a single one of them who could stay in front of him. But what I loved most was his defense on the other end. He's an absolute monster at fighting through screens and sticking with his guy. We haven't had a guard that could do that since Clemmons.

Agree, the "bounce back" factor for any athlete is so important after they screw up. Probably even more so for a QB in football or PG in basketball. He's passed that test very well.

Latest posts