Toussaint / Fredrick Backcourt

CJ has that in game "bounce back" ability. Even if he misses, he keeps shooting, or driving to the basket, because he knows he is a good shooter. Shooters have to shoot.
CJ has very good handles for a bigger guard, several times he brought the ball up in traffic. He could play point if necessary.

Totally agree. Lot of redshirt opportunities for that incoming crew. Without getting too creative on positions, depth could look like:

PG: JT + JBo
SG: CJF + CMc
SF: Wieskamp + Till
PF: Nunge + PMc
C: Garza + Ogundele
Till over the incoming Perkins and Ulis, that's interesting.

Did you say Gesell? Are you comparing a small non-penetrating pg who was not a game closing free throw shooter as well as a spotty shooter a player in Joe's class. The only holes in Joe's game is his 3 point shooting and pull up game which I think will come. Gesell was a poor mans pg at best.

The Gesell that was a damn good ball handler, excellent passer, and defender.

Gesell was a damn good point guard.

The Gesell that was a damn good ball handler, excellent passer, and defender.

Gesell was a damn good point guard.
But he missed soooooo many lay UPS. He'd drive into the lane and just bounce the ball off the backboard for a miss. It drove me crazy. Game ending, final seconds, you just new the play was called for Gessell to take the last shot. He'd fly by his defender with ease, but miss the layup.... smh

But he missed soooooo many lay UPS. He'd drive into the lane and just bounce the ball off the backboard for a miss. It drove me crazy. Game ending, final seconds, you just new the play was called for Gessell to take the last shot. He'd fly by his defender with ease, but miss the layup.... smh
I'm not sure the play was ever called for him to do that. I don't think anyone else wanted the ball bad enough to actually try to get open.

He definitely had his flaws, finishing at the basket was one of them. But I consider Gesell to be the best point guard under Fran, an excellent passer and defender. He finished his senior year averaging over 4 assists per game, 4th highest in Iowa history. As a sophomore he broke Iowa's record for most steals per game, once held by Woolridge.

JoeT has his weaknesses as well and I LOVE his upside. I expect him to surpass Gesell but I don't think I'm incorrect saying JoeT is the best point guard Iowa has had since Gesell.

A few years ago Coach Izzo called Iowa players weak and soft. I think that changed the way Fran practiced/coached/recruited.
I don't remember that but he wouldn't have been wrong... He sure as heck can't say it this year though. That Wisconsin game the other night was a game we should have lost. And just about any of the last 5 or 6 Fran teams probably would have. This one has quite the edge to them. I love it. If they can not cross the line with it that'd be great and so far so good.

He definitely had his flaws, finishing at the basket was one of them. But I consider Gesell to be the best point guard under Fran, an excellent passer and defender. He finished his senior year averaging over 4 assists per game, 4th highest in Iowa history. As a sophomore he broke Iowa's record for most steals per game, once held by Woolridge.

JoeT has his weaknesses as well and I LOVE his upside. I expect him to surpass Gesell but I don't think I'm incorrect saying JoeT is the best point guard Iowa has had since Gesell.
I'm pretty sure it was 6 assists per game instead if 4. I think Bohannon has averaged 5 in his career.

We have a guy who currently sits in a suit on the bench that might disagree with your take.

Mike G an excellent passer? That’s debatable. He was solid but was also passing to Jok and Uthoff his senior year who were highly talented offensive players. He was an honorable mention all league player as a senior.

If he was a damn good PG as you say, I highly doubt Iowa would have been a 7 seed his senior year with Uthoff and Jok. I appreciate mike and even Woody for that matter helping to pull us out of the depths, but the way you are describing Mike G is nowhere near reality in my estimation. He was maybe a slightly above average talent, but given his inability to perform in winning time was likely right at average overall.

We have a guy who currently sits in a suit on the bench that might disagree with your take.

Mike G an excellent passer? That’s debatable. He was solid but was also passing to Jok and Uthoff his senior year who were highly talented offensive players. He was an honorable mention all league player as a senior.

If he was a damn good PG as you say, I highly doubt Iowa would have been a 7 seed his senior year with Uthoff and Jok. I appreciate mike and even Woody for that matter helping to pull us out of the depths, but the way you are describing Mike G is nowhere near reality in my estimation. He was maybe a slightly above average talent, but given his inability to perform in winning time was likely right at average overall.

Dont make me start the whole "impressive assists" debate again.

JBo should have never been at the point. While he's an excellent passer JBo isn't quick enough defensively or to drive to the hoop. Someone commented earlier about how Iowa lost games because of Gesell's inability to finish at the hoop, which was true, but I also remember a few games where Iowa lost games after JBo tried to dribble drive to the hoop and he couldn't get there and wound up taking a crazy shot or turning the ball over.

I don't think we are far off here, by damn good I mean he was better than average. Gesell wasn't outstanding, I'm not sure I'd even call him great, but he was Frans best PG to date IMO.

Gesell and Woody helped bring us out of the dark ages and I’ll always appreciate them for that, but the whole assist inflation is out of hand. A guy passes a ball to a player 21 feet out who hits a shot over a double gets a dime. Most of Mikes assists were passes to the perimeter and Jok being Jok. Very few leading directly to a lay up or wide open shot. But that’s the old guy in me. Assist inflation hurts people like Magic and Michael and Bird who thread the needle on no-look passes that beautiful. Joe T has that ability.

Till over the incoming Perkins and Ulis, that's interesting.

Yeah. To clarify, my list is a "2 deep" and the point is to not list anyone twice. In reality, you could make a list/breakdown like this and list guys twice, to reflect how the real playing time will be split.

But I don't know much about Ulis or Perkins. My hunch is that Iowa's backcourt will be REALLY good next year and I don't expect either of the freshman to be big contributors. From what I have heard, Ulis might be the better prospect and more college ready. But he'll have two good PGs in front of him. Between the four upperclassmen guards I have listed in my previous post, I don't see much playing time up for grabs at PG

JBo should have never been at the point. While he's an excellent passer JBo isn't quick enough defensively or to drive to the hoop. Someone commented earlier about how Iowa lost games because of Gesell's inability to finish at the hoop, which was true, but I also remember a few games where Iowa lost games after JBo tried to dribble drive to the hoop and he couldn't get there and wound up taking a crazy shot or turning the ball over.

I don't think we are far off here, by damn good I mean he was better than average. Gesell wasn't outstanding, I'm not sure I'd even call him great, but he was Frans best PG to date IMO.
Jbo led a team at PG that was an overtime away from the Sweet 16, the closest we’ve got in the Fran era. Just because you don’t consider him a PG doesn’t mean he’s not. That’s the position he plays under Fran. He’s an incredibly high level offensive player in my opinion. Defenses know they can’t leave him and have to defend him way out on the perimeter which opens up others. He’s also a pretty good passer. His clutch gene moves him ahead of Mike G in my opinion. He’s been the best PG of the Fran era to me.

Latest posts