Toussaint / Fredrick Backcourt

Super excited about the idea of JT and CJF for 3 more years. We just have a lot of competent ball handlers and I do expect Connor to continue to get better offensively. Probably never considered a weapon, but he's such a big part of the equation. I had NO problems with his 4 -3 point shot attempts last night. They leave you open, you gotta take it. He didn't hit em, but I think he will more regularly and that's all he has to do to keep them honest. At least he understands that he shouldn't be the guy taking them all the time and that IMO is key. He gets others involved. He had some heads up plays last night that aren't going to show up in your box score. He is really good at getting position for rebounds and boxing out most of the time a bigger guy. He had couple of tap out rebounds (does that show up somewhere or do they track that sort of thing?) down the stretch. You match that type of tangible guy who does a lot of the dirty work with guys with the skill of JT and CJF and you have a pretty formidable group of guards that are going to be tough to beat.

Last edited:
Something that impresses me about JT is his ability to learn from mistakes and bounce back.

Fran was upset with him for a quick shot early in the second half. He put Evelyn in right away and sat JT. When he put the freshmen back in, he played great.

Some guys hand their heads or allow the negative to fester. He responds. That’s a great sign, IMO.
He is one tough and quick PG for sure, the missing link that Iowa needs to move up.

He has the potential to be elite and really special. Agree, he seems to take instruction well and has some "Luka" in him, driven to improve.

A combination of JT penetrating and dishing, with available three point shooters, will be tough to defend.

He is somewhat an "odd" player in that he has a very nice FT stroke but his jump shot seems to be awkward and nothing like the FT stroke. He can take it to the rim with strength and draw some fouls.

I thought his best play last night was moving the ball down the court quickly, then, with CJ trailing he softly tossed it back for a three pointer. Huge spot in the game.

JT really glides and is an in the face defender.

Can he takes minutes away from CMac? As this year progresses and into the future?

Agree, the "bounce back" factor for any athlete is so important after they screw up. Probably even more so for a QB in football or PG in basketball. He's passed that test very well.
CJ has that in game "bounce back" ability. Even if he misses, he keeps shooting, or driving to the basket, because he knows he is a good shooter. Shooters have to shoot.

He is one tough and quick PG for sure, the missing link that Iowa needs to move up.

He has the potential to be elite and really special. Agree, he seems to take instruction well and has some "Luka" in him, driven to improve.

A combination of JT penetrating and dishing, with available three point shooters, will be tough to defend.

He is somewhat an "odd" player in that he has a very nice FT stroke but his jump shot seems to be awkward and nothing like the FT stroke. He can take it to the rim with strength and draw some fouls.

I thought his best play last night was moving the ball down the court quickly, then, with CJ trailing he softly tossed it back for a three pointer. Huge spot in the game.

JT really glides and is an in the face defender.

Can he takes minutes away from CMac? As this year progresses and into the future?

Personally I don't think they are really playing the same position at this point and I like them both on the floor together. Not saying you are doing this, but I've never understood why we want Connor replaced or losing minutes so much as a fan base. He went 0-4 last night but it's not like he's always jacking up shots and IMO he does a lot of intangible stuff for the team besides scoring. He's also incredibly vocal to his team (and sometimes the other team) and I love that.

The good news scenario here is that both should only get better.

If Ulis and Perkins can come in and push for playing time, all the better.

How exciting is it going to be watching these two for the next 3+ years. Crazy to think these guys are both freshman. They compliment each other very well and seem to already have good chemistry. Both pretty good defenders already.

Joe T super quick can get in the lane at will and strong. Fredrick lights out shooter who can put it on the deck and score at the hoop and is also a decent passer. If / when Joe T adds that outside shot they’ll be even better. I love watching these two.

I think Fran is going to have a pretty strong backcourt for the next several years.

It's cool watching the "foundation" for future teams develop. The cyclic nature of the whole thing.

Yes, going to be fun to watch. Toussaint will also be a clutch player when a junior and senior as he grows. He has his moments now and will only get more consistent as time goes by.

Something that impresses me about JT is his ability to learn from mistakes and bounce back.

Fran was upset with him for a quick shot early in the second half. He put Evelyn in right away and sat JT. When he put the freshmen back in, he played great.

Some guys hand their heads or allow the negative to fester. He responds. That’s a great sign, IMO.

He has that "flush factor". He has the ability to flush the bad plays but learn from them. It's a skill and most good QB's in football have it. He doesn't let the negativity of the bad plays weigh on him. He has a toughness about him that I really like and he's real strong in the lane.

In the post game Fran even commented that he was impressed with his decision making. The young man is growing up before our eyes and he's gonna keep getting better.

What is surprising is that he's only half way thru conference play in his first year.

Personally I don't think they are really playing the same position at this point and I like them both on the floor together. Not saying you are doing this, but I've never understood why we want Connor replaced or losing minutes so much as a fan base. He went 0-4 last night but it's not like he's always jacking up shots and IMO he does a lot of intangible stuff for the team besides scoring. He's also incredibly vocal to his team (and sometimes the other team) and I love that.
I like Connor. He is a great leader, good defender, and is smart, does lots of those unnoticed things. That said, he doesn't have the potential of Toussaint. Just wondering about so many options and a finite amount of minutes to distribute. I like CMac at the FT line, late, under pressure, for sure.

Garza will get NBA feedback that he needs to work on D and passing out the post and while he's shooting great from outside, I think they are going to want to see more of it in volume. His own Dad has said publicly several times that it's doubtful Luka goes to the NBA early. He said as recently as last week they aren't even sure if they will go thru the process (which would be dumb IMO). He said and I am paraphrasing here "we don't need NBA scouts to tell us that Luka is slow, we already know that".

That said, you can never tell but I don't think we're at the the "No way of seeing Garza come back" stage yet. He's a beast tho. If I had to say right now, Luka goes or comes back, gun to the head kind of deal... I would say Luka is back next season but a lot can change over the next 2 months. IMO, it really depends on if Iowa keeps winning. They make a run to the sweet 16 or further and Luka becomes an even bigger name then I could see it.

I agree wholeheartedly on the things he needs to work on: D and making teams pay for double-teams with his passing.

He kills teams in the post. That is very difficult to do right now in the NBA with the incredible athletes and zone now legal. I think he is a special enough player that he can still be effective, but he will need to learn to go immediately or pass immediately. He does a lot of multiple-dribble moves, and those just will not be possible in the NBA with guards dropping down in your lap as soon as you put it on the floor.

Also, one-way players are pretty much obsolete in the NBA post-season anymore. Teams are so good at hunting a defensive weakness and attacking that individual over and over until the coach takes them out. Likewise, if you are an offensive liability, teams will flat out not guard you and your man will be wreaking havoc all over the floor. One-way guys still have value in the regular season because the game-planning doesn't get that sophisticated until the post-season, but that kind of value is generally worthy of a late 1st round pick or 2nd round pick.

If Luka can become more decisive in the post and start spraying passes all over the place (think Jokic or either of the Gasols), and he can maximize his defensive potential through smart positioning and use of his hands, he can be a very good NBA player. If he never learns to do those things, he becomes Jahlil Okafor.

Not sure if his best path to becoming that player is to stick around Iowa for another year, or to start playing professionally? Being a pro would allow all of his time to be devoted to his craft. But being at Iowa allows him to develop as an offensive fulcrum, which might not be available to him early on as a pro. Also, pros tend to play a lot with minimal time for practice during the season.

The parallels between Garza and Gustafson are uncanny. They play very differently in style, but they are similarly dominant, and they are similar in that they are both entirely unique (they both broke the mold). I assumed after Gustafson's junior year (B1G player of the year, All-American) there was no where to go but down. How can you improve on that? Well, she upped her scoring, FG%, and rebounding, and she became a much better passer and defender (doesn't jump out from the conventional stats, but it certainly did from watching her, and I am sure it showed up in advanced metrics). She was the national player of the year. I think Garza could do something similar if he chose to stay.

I like Connor. He is a great leader, good defender, and is smart, does lots of those unnoticed things. That said, he doesn't have the potential of Toussaint. Just wondering about so many options and a finite amount of minutes to distribute. I like CMac at the FT line, late, under pressure, for sure.

I just mean, they aren't really playing the same position, why does he have to take the minutes from him? That's the part I didn't understand.

CMac has mostly been playing the 4 lately, so he is really competing for time with Kreiner and Pemsl.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...move-his-son-connor-power-forward/4564721002/

Super excited about the idea of JT and CJF for 3 more years. We just have a lot of competent ball handlers and I do expect Connor to continue to get better offensively. Probably never considered a weapon, but he's such a big part of the equation. I had NO problems with his 4 -3 point shot attempts last night. They leave you open, you gotta take it. He didn't hit em, but I think he will more regularly and that's all he has to do to keep them honest. At least he understands that he shouldn't be the guy taking them all the time and that IMO is key. He gets others involved. He had some heads up plays last night that aren't going to show up in your box score. He is really good at getting position for rebounds and boxing out most of the time a bigger guy. He had couple of tap out rebounds (does that show up somewhere or do they track that sort of thing?) down the stretch. You match that type of tangible guy who does a lot of the dirty work with guys with the skill of JT and CJF and you have a pretty formidable group of guards that are going to be tough to beat.

Tap-out rebounds are a decision for the statistician. If the stats guys decides the "tapper" clearly executed a controlled tap to a teammate, you give the tapper the rebound. If you just randonly got a hand on the ball and knocked it off in some direction, and then a teammate scrambles to get it, your teammate gets the rebound. Like lots of stats there is some gray area (not as bad as assists, though).

NBA keeps track of tipped balls and loose-balls obtained (Ben Simmons leads in both categories). I doubt anyone tracks that at the college level, though it would be cool.

I just mean, they aren't really playing the same position, why does he have to take the minutes from him? That's the part I didn't understand.
The both tend to spend a lot of time around the top of the key, with a four guard offense, they interchange it seems. Only so many minutes when the small lineup is out there. Or I could be totally wrong. JT is good, need to feed him, that is my point. A talent seldom seen in Iowa City.

Tap-out rebounds are a decision for the statistician. If the stats guys decides the "tapper" clearly executed a controlled tap to a teammate, you give the tapper the rebound. If you just randonly got a hand on the ball and knocked it off in some direction, and then a teammate scrambles to get it, your teammate gets the rebound. Like lots of stats there is some gray area (not as bad as assists, though).

NBA keeps track of tipped balls and loose-balls obtained (Ben Simmons leads in both categories). I doubt anyone tracks that at the college level, though it would be cool.

Thanks for the clarification on that - you can tell that when we have a smaller line up that our guards are being taught that part of the game. If Connor can't beat his guy because of height, he's tapping the shit out of the rebound trying to get it back out up top.

The both tend to spend a lot of time around the top of the key, with a four guard offense, they interchange it seems. Only so many minutes when the small lineup is out there. Or I could be totally wrong. JT is good, need to feed him, that is my point. A talent seldom seen in Iowa City.

Yep I agree, I just think he can be fed or continue to be a play maker with the ball in his hands and Connor getting minutes has nothing to do with it. They both start. I think that's just a mind set that's hard for Iowa fans to shake because we all believed Connor was going to be Iowa's PG for the next 3 seasons. Connor is not playing in spite of Joe T and I think the further JT develops the less that will even be a discussion.