Too bad, a well played first half turns ragged

uihawk82

Some poor shooting and close in misses hurt, msu seemed to have more hustle and play making the 2nd half. Winston hitting that first 3 pt shot in the 2nd half was big, if he misses he may never get going. And wow Garza just got beat up in the second half as he was making moves he normally can do but getting banged. Hawks didnt take care of the ball under that last 10 minutes of pressure. I hope those refs enjoy having drinks with izzo after the game they are so chummy with each other

Joe W just needs to find that 3 pt shot again and try to take the pressure off himself. Win the next two at home and maybe at Illini and the hawks will be in good position. CJ coming back and getting it rolling will be great..

To be clear, I think this team needs a good draw when they finally get into the NCAAs (besides getting healthier). They need some luck because you almost count we will get the toughest 2nd round opponent possible to play if they don't get upset in the first round. It will be some blue-blood for sure. Maybe in that case we can do something there.

But, moving forward, we just need to try to win as many games as possible. BTT is out, they were not going to let us have 2nd place to ourselves tonight. MSU...Big Ten offices were not going to let that happen.

Making the 2 nd round of tourney is practically a miracle with the way this team shoots. Garza always gets his numbers but it does not always mean we win. No support with this low level of talent. CJ is now desparately needed

Big Ten offices were not going to let that happen.
I agree with the vast majority of your posts, but if you think there’s some back channel, covert phone calls made by a Big Ten higher up to officials before a game telling them to make sure MSU wins you’re fuckin loony.

I agree with the vast majority of your posts, but if you think there’s some back channel, covert phone calls made by a Big Ten higher up to officials before a game telling them to make sure MSU wins you’re fuckin loony.

Yea, it's a little over the top to think the B14 officials have some covert plan to favor MSU ...
They don't even bother to hide it or make phone calls, anymore. The blatant Breslin bias is a standing directive!;)

If it has feathers, quacks and waddles its ass when it walks, it's a duck ... and you just got Izzo'd!:cool::)

Yea, it's a little over the top to think the B14 officials have some covert plan to favor MSU ...
They don't even bother to hide it or make phone calls, anymore. The blatant Breslin bias is a standing directive!;)

If it has feathers, quacks and waddles its ass when it walks, it's a duck ... and you just got Izzo'd!:cool::)
I don’t doubt that officials get intimidated by Izzo and that it may have some influence on their calls at times, but the Big Ten office doesn’t have some master plan in place to F over anyone who plays MSU. That ranks right up there with Flat Earth.

The Hawks got outplayed by a waaaay more physical team that actually has a functional bench and the best point guard in the league.

Izzo gets away with plenty of shit he should get T’d up for, but MSU won that game, not the refs.

Do people actually believe refs don't help determine outcomes of games? Or is it just something they feel like they have to say it because they were told to not blame refs by their high school coach and don't have the common sense to realize the difference between a player complaining about them and a fan?

No I'm sure something like that didn't happen. But it's a bad look that 27 times during the game ESPN shows Izzo chatting and joking with the refs while they hardly showed Fran at all.

They even had a split screen going for awhile so the could show Izzo on the bench while the game was live.

No I'm sure something like that didn't happen. But it's a bad look that 27 times during the game ESPN shows Izzo chatting and joking with the refs while they hardly showed Fran at all.
I definitely agree that some coaches have that ability to intimidate officials, and coaches all have their different ways of trying to subtly buddy up with them. I'm just a measly high school official and even I see it. It's a real thing and it happens. The flip outs are the other thing that I feel get to officials. Tom Izzo is a "prominent" coach, and they evaluate officials every game. Whether he'll admit it or not, no ref wants to have Izzo fill out some scathing report to the Big Ten. Nowadays with film departments, I guarantee you coaches are submitting their bitches and complaints complete with three different video angles. I know for a fact that the head basketball coach at one of Sioux City's two NAIA programs does it, and that's peewee ball.

I've had a guy threaten me that he's going to "call Lewie" after he didn't like some calls (Lewie Curtis is the IAHSAA director of officials), he made sure to say it like they were buddies and like I was going to get in trouble. Well I called him myself about a week later and he said he hadn't heard from him and didn't know the coach other than seeing him at a rules meeting. The intimidation thing is real and it probably has a very small effect on a very small number of officials.

But...the suggestion that the Big Ten wants MSU to always win; never lose at Breslin and blah blah blah so they make it known that all refs are supposed to F every team that comes into Lasing is horseshit. Same thing with the ACC and Duke, Ohio State football, and so on.

It's goddamn hilarious that every single person here who bitches about officiating never says a word about Iowa getting calls when it happens, so that means one of two things.

1) Iowa is the only team in the entire league who gets fucked over, or 2) you're admitting that the only thing you're concerned with isn't good officiating, it's that as long as it isn't Iowa you're ok with shitty officiating.

Do people actually believe refs don't help determine outcomes of games? Or is it just something they feel like they have to say it because they were told to not blame refs by their high school coach and don't have the common sense to realize the difference between a player complaining about them and a fan?
Bad calls can and do affect games. Absolutely.

But people always assume that 1) it's only their team that ever gets screwed, and 2) officials are trying to get one team to win so they F the other one over. That's ridiculous.

Refs can determine the outcomes of games but I didn’t see that at all last night. I think Iowa got a very good whistle actually.

Tillman did a great job on Garza taking away his bread and butter and for some reason Garza didn’t go to any of his counter moves. Garza got his 20 but it was one of his worst games in awhile actually (he also didn’t make any threes).

Then there is Wiekskamp who couldn’t make a shot. He then tried pounding the ball off the dribble which clearly isn’t his strength. If he goes 2/5 or 3/5 from deep Iowa likely wins the game.

Last night was not on the refs.

Bad calls can and do affect games. Absolutely.

But people always assume that 1) it's only their team that ever gets screwed, and 2) officials are trying to get one team to win so they F the other one over. That's ridiculous.
This particular game Iowa fans had it predetermined in their minds that they were going to get screwed over by the refs. Despite the fact that it didn’t happen they still believe it did.

It’s going to be really difficult for this team to go far if Wieskamp can’t hit 3s. Maybe he needs Fredrick. There’s some good evidence that is the case.

For me I had a tough time watching the game last night specifically because of Izzo. To me he is a huge distraction of what is going on in the game for him to complain about every single call, whine non-stop to his players and be several steps out on the court throughout the game (which I am not sure how he gets away with it).

I can see if this happens every once and awhile to let it slide but every game for the past 20 years gets old. The guy is a certifiable d-bag and he is #2 on my list of most despised coaches closely behind coach K

I am by no means blaming the loss on what Izzo said or did because the Hawks had their chance and just didn't play well enough the last 10 minutes to win the game but from a fan point of view it rubbed me the wrong way

Making the 2 nd round of tourney is practically a miracle with the way this team shoots. Garza always gets his numbers but it does not always mean we win. No support with this low level of talent. CJ is now desparately needed
What exactly are you talking about? it's not a blue chip team but the talent level is decent, the bench is just very short...

Guarantee you the officials are intimidated by one of the coaches last night. The guy who they think actually could come after the and get tag teamed.

It’s going to be really difficult for this team to go far if Wieskamp can’t hit 3s. Maybe he needs Fredrick. There’s some good evidence that is the case.

I think your right. Basically limped it into the Breslin and came damn close. Beat Minney and OSU though.
IMPERATIVE that the home Conf season be swept with wins now. I am confident the Hawks will get it done.

Thought our boys got worn down late. Garza was just a fraction of himself the last 10 mins or so of that game. And Tillman of course after having sat most of the first half was fresh as could be. The refs flipped the script in the 2nd half and that was that. Sure Winston got going some but if we'd have gotten anything at all from JW that'd have canceled that out. Frustrating game. It was certainly there for the taking

Latest posts