Tomorrow night a must win?

Wassabbe

Not in the grand scheme of things, but it is really important. If we lose tomorrow night, there is a chance we will not have beat any teams that finish in the top 100 RPI in our non conference schedule

N.C. Wilmington 4-5 (0-0)88 82-39 W
11-10 Nebraska Omaha 5-3 (0-0)151 83-75 W
11-14 MD Eastern Shore 1-4 (0-0)309 109-63 W
11-17 Abilene Christian 0-6 (0-0)283 103-41 W
11-22 Pennsylvania 2-6 (0-0)210 86-55 W
$ 11-28 vs Xavier 7-3 (0-0)95 77-74 W
11-29 vs UTEP 3-4 (0-0)121 89-53 W
11-30 vs Villanova 9-0 (0-0)7 83-88 L
12-03 Notre Dame 7-3 (0-0)202 98-93 W
$$ 12-07 Drake 5-2 (0-0)30 83-66 W
12-09 Fairleigh Dickinson 2-8 (0-0)222 92-59 W

Drake lost it's 2nd best scorer. I would imagine they will drop like a rock in the RPI standings. Xavier is seconds away from losing 5 straight games, and I imagine Wilmington won't stay in the top 100.

If those things happen our non conference SOS will be awful and we won't have any key wins. It will put a ton of pressure on this team to win a big road game at Wisconsin (I think we can) , MSU, Mich, etc.

Beat State! We need it!

Not a must win, but would be a big win because ISU is going to the tournament and would be the biggest N/C win no matter what way you look at it.

Not a must win and not really that important that we win. It would be nice as hell if we did win though. Plus, I don't think Xavier and Notre Dame end up out of the top 100 of the RPI at the end of the year but maybe that's just optimism on my part.

Not a must win and not really that important that we win. It would be nice as hell if we did win though. Plus, I don't think Xavier and Notre Dame end up out of the top 100 of the RPI at the end of the year but maybe that's just optimism on my part.

I don't think that Notre Dame team finishes with a winning record in the ACC. What that means for their RPI I don't know but it's so low now, I can't imagine it getting over 100 without it.

Xavier has a chance. I don't know much about their schedule.

I really don't think it's a must win either, but without it our non conference resume is awful. Just plain awful

I wouldn't say awful, awful would be losing to someone terrible. I would say it's "meh" We expected it to be a lot better but whatever. We got plenty of chances to improve our resume, period. I want the 'Nova game back though but wanting certain games back is what Iowa basketball is all about.

Not even close. Iowa's RPI will be light years ahead of where it was last year going into conference play. Additionally, Iowa's conference schedule is much tougher this year.

Why is a Clown fan wondering if this is a must win for Iowa?

I don't think that Notre Dame team finishes with a winning record in the ACC. What that means for their RPI I don't know but it's so low now, I can't imagine it getting over 100 without it.

Xavier has a chance. I don't know much about their schedule.

I really don't think it's a must win either, but without it our non conference resume is awful. Just plain awful

ESPN ranked it with a difficulty of 6, I believe, which means to me, is that it could have gotten higher based on the results of the season, but just as easily could drop based on that same criteria. I have no problems with the N/C schedule, except scheduling teams that are destined to be below RPI of 200. On paper, it is far better than last year and Iowa hasn't lost to a team they shouldn't beat, maybe Villanova is in that category, but at this point it isn't a loss like Va. Tech and a loss to ISU won't be that type of loss as well.

I wouldn't say awful, awful would be losing to someone terrible. I would say it's "meh" We expected it to be a lot better but whatever. We got plenty of chances to improve our resume, period. I want the 'Nova game back though but wanting certain games back is what Iowa basketball is all about.

Good point. No bad losses on the resume.

This is a must win for bragging rights. Through 11 games this season, I'm sold we are nothing less than a 7 seed in the NCAA's when you compare us to other teams across the country. We don't have a resume building win yet and even if we lose tomorrow night, which could very well happen..we will have plenty of other big games to capitalize on. "Must Win" games don't happen until February and March.

This team is legit. Just remember Oglesby hasn't even played a game and he brings another body to the table. Fact is, win or lose against ISU, this team will not be in the NIT this year barring injuries. I would bet my entire life savings on that

Not a must win. But it would be a big win. Not many teams are going to win at Hilton this year. I would bet we wont be in the NIT either, A dollar

Not sure will even need to use the term must win, but if we do and I say IF that typically would happen in late Feb and or early March.

Furthermore the term "must win" is way over used on this site.

No, but it's the difference between an OK non-conf resume and a very good non-conf resume. We're going to be way ahead of where we were last year RPI wise going into conference and have nothing negative on our resume win or lose tomorrow.

Yes ... but only for State of Iowa bragging rights and if you have any desire to talk smack about how good ISU is the rest of the season.

No ... for any other possible reason. Well, maybe seeding but it will either be a good win or a good loss come March.

MUST win? No. But it would be a big win for sure. As has been pointed out, there are tons of opportunities in Big 10 play for conference wins. I'm just a little bummed that games like Xavier & ND don't look like they are going to help us as much as I was originally thinking.

That Nova game would have been nice to have.....

MUST win? No. But it would be a big win for sure. As has been pointed out, there are tons of opportunities in Big 10 play for conference wins. I'm just a little bummed that games like Xavier & ND don't look like they are going to help us as much as I was originally thinking.

That Nova game would have been nice to have.....

Ya, but what if Iowa beat Nova, perhaps that sets them off to another loss or two, and they are not ranked?

ISU, eh, not a must win. Heck ISU didn't obviously need the win against Iowa last year, and ended up in the Dance anyway. Nice win...for sure.

Ya, but what if Iowa beat Nova, perhaps that sets them off to another loss or two, and they are not ranked?

ISU, eh, not a must win. Heck ISU didn't obviously need the win against Iowa last year, and ended up in the Dance anyway. Nice win...for sure.

Agreed but ISU was only on bubble last year until making Big 12 Championship game vs. KU if I remember right. Want to show a stong non-con, con, and con tourney score card. Win this put less pressure on the other two. A win like this is like bit of a security blanket or bandaid incase of stumbles down the road.

Agreed but ISU was only on bubble last year until making Big 12 Championship game vs. KU if I remember right. Want to show a stong non-con, con, and con tourney score card. Win this put less pressure on the other two. A win like this is like bit of a security blanket or bandaid incase of stumbles down the road.

ISU didn't make the B12 championship game.

Latest posts