Tomorrow night a must win?

Ya, but what if Iowa beat Nova, perhaps that sets them off to another loss or two, and they are not ranked?

ISU, eh, not a must win. Heck ISU didn't obviously need the win against Iowa last year, and ended up in the Dance anyway. Nice win...for sure.

Huh? Guess Iowa had better not beat ISU tomorrow night, then. It might ruin the season.

Last edited:
I don't think I buy the notion that Iowa is going to tank the next couple of games just because it had a big win. That was the theory about Iowa's loss to ISU in 2002 in football, that it fueled them to that 8-0 conference run and that if Iowa had won that game, it would have lost to PSU. I just don't buy it. That loss to ISU didn't stop Iowa from nearly blowing the PSU game, anyway.

Is this a must win for Iowa? No. It is certainly an opportunity for Iowa because of the reasons mentioned by the OP. It is arguably a must-win for ISU. The oddsmakers favor them to win. They are currently ranked higher than Iowa so that adds to the expectation that they should win. The game is at Hilton- giving them the advantage of home-game "Hilton Magic". ISU fans tend to insist that their players are more athletic and talented. If ISU loses under all these conditions, what choice would they have but to admit that Fran is a superior bench coach to Fred. What other reason could there be for them to lose?

Last edited:
Is this a must win for Iowa? No. It is certainly an opportunity for Iowa because of the reasons mentioned by the OP. It is arguably a must-win for ISU. The oddsmakers favor them to win. They are currently ranked higher than Iowa so that adds to the expectation that they should win. The game is at Hilton- giving them the advantage of home-game "Hilton Magic". ISU fans tend to insist that their players are more athletic and talented. If ISU loses under all these conditions, what choice would they have but to admit that Fran is a superior bench coach to Fred. What other reason could there be for them to lose?

Must-win and should win are two very different things. ISU doesn't need this win as much as Iowa does right now. They already have a pair of wins that are just as good, if not better, than any win Iowa has right now. I don't think Iowa necessarily "needs" this win, but I really want it for insurance down the road.

Wassabbe, you are confusing me. You use the term 'we' here then show data for Iowa...yet when I searched your IP addresses just now, there were multiple instances where the IP address you used to post with to the site also turned up another user who posted with the same IP address; Cyclones17.

I wonder how that happens?

Wassabbe, you are confusing me. You use the term 'we' here then show data for Iowa...yet when I searched your IP addresses just now, there were multiple instances where the IP address you used to post with to the site also turned up another user who posted with the same IP address; Cyclones17.

Bang! Rule number everything: don't mess with the omnipotent.

Our conference record will decide whether or not we get into the tourney. The front end of our conference schedule contains three extremely difficult road games that will make this a distant memory. We don't want to be a tournament team, we want to be a great team. Great teams beat pretty good teams on the road. One need not track IP addresses to know which side of the state a question like this came from. A traditional "must win" game in mid-December?? Only a team who's satisfied with showing up would ask that.

Now you are confusing me Jon. I ask the same question, just a different way than you did a couple weeks back, remember? Now, you come on here and accuse me of what exactly? I even say in the grand scheme of things, it isn't a must win. Tonight is a huge game for us in the fact that our non conference resume isn't great to this point due to Xavier and ND struggles. You said the same thing in the article below, did you not? Now you are saying that in multiple instance I share the same IP as Cyclones17? How about instances when I share the same IP as other people? I'm not even sure how that works.

http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/basketball/61597-will-cupcake-feast-doom-hawkeyes.html

Must-win and should win are two very different things. ISU doesn't need this win as much as Iowa does right now. They already have a pair of wins that are just as good, if not better, than any win Iowa has right now. I don't think Iowa necessarily "needs" this win, but I really want it for insurance down the road.

Are you talking about Iowa or ISU here?

Whadaya, gunning for a position with the NSA?

Curse you, Big Brother! I mean ... Jon, ur a helluva Patriot and God Bless America!

Now you are confusing me Jon. I ask the same question, just a different way than you did a couple weeks back, remember? Now, you come on here and accuse me of what exactly? I even say in the grand scheme of things, it isn't a must win. Tonight is a huge game for us in the fact that our non conference resume isn't great to this point due to Xavier and ND struggles. You said the same thing in the article below, did you not? Now you are saying that in multiple instance I share the same IP as Cyclones17? How about instances when I share the same IP as other people? I'm not even sure how that works.

http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/basketball/61597-will-cupcake-feast-doom-hawkeyes.html

I think it is obvious what he is accusing you of. If you are a Clone fan then fine, be one, represent who and what you really are and do not hide behind user names pretending to be a Hawk fan when you are not.

We get this way to much and I am glad Jon is calling people out for it. I get tired of having to try and figure out who is real and who is simply trolling on here. When I first came to this site I was confused for about the first month from all the trolls pretending to be Hawk fans.

Funny when he posts at Cyclone17 he rips Iowa State while saying we, , so he seems to have Bipolar disorder..

Latest posts