Today in How the B1G Football World Turns

Pritzker wont let it happen. He is still shutting stuff down across the river from St. Louis.

He will not budge. Consider NW and Illinois absent this season.

Not a Prit fan, but Champaign was so low on cases until the students came back and now 80 percent of Covid cases requiring hospitalization are not locals.

Champaign has high compliance with masks and distancing.

Well, we already pretty much knew that Rutgers, MD, NW and ILL were out. So nothing new there. Although now we know there is little chance Rutgers will change its mind.

The big question stil is, could Minny, Indy and/or Purdue be persuaded to change their minds and vote to play football this fall.

Not a Prit fan, but Champaign was so low on cases until the students came back and now 80 percent of Covid cases requiring hospitalization are not locals.

Champaign has high compliance with masks and distancing.
You bring up an interesting point.

I wonder how much the recent spike in Johnson and Story counties can be attributed to students bringing it back with them from Illinois' Cook, Lake and DuPage counties.

Champaign was so low on cases until the students came back and now 80 percent of Covid cases requiring hospitalization are not locals..
Source for that? I've done what I'd consider some fairly hard searching online for Covid resources in Illinois region 6 and Champaign county itself, and news stories in the region, and I can't find that anywhere. I'm not saying your're wrong, just asking your source. Stating that 80% of hospitalizations are from outsiders is pretty bombastic, considering that only ONE fucking person in the entire county is hospitalized with covid, LOL

Here's the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District information

Here's a screenshot with a date:

Capture.jpg

Per a NYT article from yesterday, Carl T. Bergstrom, a professor of biology at the University of Washington in Seattle and an infectious disease expert:

What the University of Illinois has tried to do is “pretty unusual,” Dr. Bergstrom said. “Being able to have an in-person semester at a school of that size with that kind of social atmosphere is really a remarkable accomplishment and I think they have a reasonable chance of pulling it off,”

A prof of epidemiology:

The positivity rate for the tests is currently about 1 percent. “It’s higher than we would like, but it’s coming down,” said Rebecca Lee Smith, a professor of epidemiology at the University of Illinois. “I am hopeful. Everything is going in the right direction.”
You're probably a more reliable source than two PhDs specializing in infectious diseases, though, right?

So, can we have your source for that .8 of a person who's a "non-local", or are you going to admit that you're completely full of shit and pulling made up statistics out of the air to support your weird, Walter Mitty-world opinions?

Oh, you meant total cases instead of "hospitalizations?" Then show us your source for 590 out of 738 active cases being "non-locals." I'm sure it's there. I just want to read it. I'm actually quite interested to hear your back-tracking excuse that you give this time. I hope it's better than the other ones you've used in the past because none of them were convincing at all.

Look, dude, I'm all for constructive discussion on Covid because I do think it's a serious problem. But you, REPEATEDLY spouting total bullshit as fact is doing nothing but killing anyone's credibility when trying to have real conversation. @Northside Hawk took your bullshit at face value like most folks would, because most folks don't have the time or inclination to do any digging (which you try to take advantage of). How does that help him or anyone make an informed viewpoint? For the millionth time, you're a fucking phony bullshitter. You've been doing it here for years. This isn't conservative or liberal when I say this, but you're total fake news, Skeezix.

Admit you don't have a goddamn clue what you're talking about. Because you're just hurting the situation and people like you spreading total bullshit are the ones causing people to propagate falsities and start fighting with each other.

Last edited:
You bring up an interesting point.

I wonder how much the recent spike in Johnson and Story counties can be attributed to students bringing it back with them from Illinois' Cook, Lake and DuPage counties.
He's full of shit, dude. Don't take a word he types seriously. Whatever response he gives you is going to be made up and pulled from thin air. He sure as hell won't qualify it as opinion.

Last edited:
He's full of shit, dude. Don't take a word he types seriously. Whatever response he gives you is going to be made up and pulled from thin air. He sure as hell won't qualify it as opinion.

Not bashing your bashing replies of others and you asking for more sources of data but it is just surprising that you said there would be no football so why keep jumping on here and posting about other's ideas of possible football in the Big 10.

I am mostly seeing this as very close to no chance of football and if it happens it happens.

Or as some person once said recently 'it is what it is'

Not bashing your bashing replies of others and you asking for more sources of data but it is just surprising that you said there would be no football so why keep jumping on here and posting about other's ideas of possible football in the Big 10.

I am mostly seeing this as very close to no chance of football and if it happens it happens.

Or as some person once said recently 'it is what it is'
You apparently didn't read the post and haven't read his incessant posting of made up statistics and studies as fact. So show me where 80 percent of COVID hospitalizations in Champaign are not "locals." Or any of the other stupid shit he says. There's one person hospitalized in that entire county, let alone the city of Champaign, yet he's making up a bullshit stat to make it sound like there's some kind of wave of hell being wrought down on the metro area because of school being in person. And people believe his bullshit so I call it out. And then he gets mad and deflects the point by telling me I'm a dick and totally ignoring the fact that he got caught lying.

Regarding me predicting no football, if you can't tell the difference between someone making a prediction about an event that has yet to happen (which is obviously implied as an opinion), and someone making bald faced lies about current events and giving statistics as truth that he completely made up, well...I don't know how I can help ya, bud.

Last edited:
Source for that? I've done what I'd consider some fairly hard searching online for Covid resources in Illinois region 6 and Champaign county itself, and news stories in the region, and I can't find that anywhere. I'm not saying your're wrong, just asking your source. Stating that 80% of hospitalizations are from outsiders is pretty bombastic, considering that only ONE fucking person in the entire county is hospitalized with covid, LOL

Here's the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District information

Here's a screenshot with a date:

Capture.jpg

Per a NYT article from yesterday, Carl T. Bergstrom, a professor of biology at the University of Washington in Seattle and an infectious disease expert:

A prof of epidemiology:

You're probably a more reliable source than two PhDs specializing in infectious diseases, though, right?

So, can we have your source for that .8 of a person who's a "non-local", or are you going to admit that you're completely full of shit and pulling made up statistics out of the air to support your weird, Walter Mitty-world opinions?

Oh, you meant total cases instead of "hospitalizations?" Then show us your source for 590 out of 738 active cases being "non-locals." I'm sure it's there. I just want to read it. I'm actually quite interested to hear your back-tracking excuse that you give this time. I hope it's better than the other ones you've used in the past because none of them were convincing at all.

Look, dude, I'm all for constructive discussion on Covid because I do think it's a serious problem. But you, REPEATEDLY spouting total bullshit as fact is doing nothing but killing anyone's credibility when trying to have real conversation. @Northside Hawk took your bullshit at face value like most folks would, because most folks don't have the time or inclination to do any digging (which you try to take advantage of). How does that help him or anyone make an informed viewpoint? For the millionth time, you're a fucking phony bullshitter. You've been doing it here for years. This isn't conservative or liberal when I say this, but you're total fake news, Skeezix.

Admit you don't have a goddamn clue what you're talking about. Because you're just hurting the situation and people like you spreading total bullshit are the ones causing people to propagate falsities and start fighting with each other.

What is wrong with you (statement) My info came from the local paper and based on one of two hospitals (the largest) and far more cases than that. One smaller one doesn't release statistics. The article discussed the percentage of COVID beds with vents being used (I think about 20 or 25%).

You are obsessed and a social misfit. The number of current hospitalized is much higher than that. Has Ice fishing numbed part of your brain?

You should try and focus on getting along with people and seeing how you can be a benefit to society.

Could you at least try discussing something with someone without being a dick? I tried and you turned that into a dickfest.

Good evening Deano.

What is wrong with you (statement) My info came from the local paper and based on one of two hospitals (the largest) and far more cases than that. One smaller one doesn't release statistics. The article discussed the percentage of COVID beds with vents being used (I think about 20 or 25%).

You are obsessed and a social misfit. The number of current hospitalized is much higher than that. Has Ice fishing numbed part of your brain?

You should try and focus on getting along with people and seeing how you can be a benefit to society.

Could you at least try discussing something with someone without being a dick? I tried and you turned that into a dickfest.

Good evening Deano.
Nothing’s wrong with me. You tried to pass bullshit off and I called you on it.

What newspaper said 80% of hospitalizations are “non-locals?” What day was the article written?

What’s the large hospital that reports, and what’s the small hospital that doesn’t?

You said the IDPH website is lying, what’s your factual (non anecdotal) basis for that?

I’d like to check for myself.

I'm not picking any sides when it comes to the issue of how serious covid is. Arguments can be made both ways, which is exactly why we are in this mess of unknowns. I can say that EVERY hospital in this country, no doubt, has at least a floor or two assigned for treating covid patients. And they have plenty of customers. My gf x-rays all covid patients and there is a steady stream.

Good evening Deano.

I believe you but can you paste a link to the news article so we can read details. I always like to read to find the sources of info and the direct quotes. And it is hard now to believe what you read many times.

I'm not picking any sides when it comes to the issue of how serious covid is. Arguments can be made both ways, which is exactly why we are in this mess of unknowns. I can say that EVERY hospital in this country, no doubt, has at least a floor or two assigned for treating covid patients. And they have plenty of customers. My gf x-rays all covid patients and there is a steady stream.
It's a difficult statistic to get a handle on.

Yes, the majority of hospitals have assigned floors and/or rooms for Covid, but those rooms also are designated for "Covid rule-outs," the number of which easily exceeds the number of actual Covid patients at a given point in time. The majority of rule-outs ultimately test negative, but are treated as if they are positive until the test result comes back. Hospitals generally don't make that distinction when reporting cases.

Also, just to muddy the waters further, those that test positive may not actually be suffering from Covid per se, but may simply have the virus in their system while presenting with a different infection or cardiopulmonary issue. Sorting that out is going to be a major challenge during the flu season.

Another great Saturday morning of waking up to the sports talk radio station previewing the one local college football game this weekend.

Latest posts