Today in How the B1G Football World Turns

Rob, I’m confused. Rittenberg says there’s political pressure from state assemblies to play, but Patrick is saying there aren’t enough teams to play (including the Michigan schools who have what appears to be support from their lawmakers).

Is this mainly the presidents, AD’s?

It's the presidents and chancellors. ADs have no say. Warren has little say, if any.

Michigan is the one whose pres is an immunologist, right?

I believe yes. And this must be why the reports that were saying that he is holding the Big Ten hostage. Hence the timing of the Michigan protest. If Michigan flips so will little brother. Then we would have 10 teams and play.

PAC-12 talking about how to return fall sports.

In move that could herald sports' fall return, Pac-12 announces COVID-19 testing plan
https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawi...nativeapp&utm_medium=mobile&utm_campaign=link

However, women’s soccer at Arizona is something of a problem.

UA women's soccer team shut down for 2 weeks following positive COVID-19 tests
https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawi...nativeapp&utm_medium=mobile&utm_campaign=link

And USC water polo ... :)

This is my guess on who is in and out

In - 5 teams
Iowa, Neb, Wisc, OSU, PSU

Out - 6 teams
Mich, MSU, ILL, NW, MD, Rut

Unknown - 3 teams
Minny, Indy, Pur

So I think Minny, Indy and Purdue are the wild cards. If they are out, there will be no Big Ten football this fall. If they are in, the Big Ten will play with 8 teams total.

If they play it will be an 8 game schedule. Play 1 team twice and everybody else once.

It's the presidents and chancellors. ADs have no say. Warren has little say, if any.

As it should be. CEO’s are the persons responsible for hundreds of thousands of students’ safety and education. Football, sports in their entirety, are important, but not critical elements.

Before you jump...I travel 600 miles round trip for my season tickets which include football and men’s basketball. Also go to nearly all away football games. I am absolutely beside myself right now, trying to deal with disappointment. Crazy, loyal Hawk fan all my life.

As it should be. CEO’s are the persons responsible for hundreds of thousands of students’ safety and education. Football, sports in their entirety, are important, but not critical elements.

Before you jump...I travel 600 miles round trip for my season tickets which include football and men’s basketball. Also go to nearly all away football games. I am absolutely beside myself right now, trying to deal with disappointment. Crazy, loyal Hawk fan all my life.

Have you tried therapy?

Drop $50 million on ND to play with the 8 B1G teams.. ANd add in Colorado and Utah for a 10 game season.

Call it the Covid league.

OR

With 8 teams Make 2 divisions.. Play a home and home within your divison and the other division once and there is 10 games.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Drop $50 million on ND to play with the 8 B1G teams.. ANd add in Colorado and Utah for a 10 game season.

Call it the Covid league.

OR

With 8 teams Make 2 divisions.. Play a home and home within your divison and the other division once and there is 10 games.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Except for the whole ND playing an ACC schedule.

So there is still interesting talk of a possible mid to late autumn start to a football season. I heard on tv news yesterday of a small college football player about 20-21 years old who died of covid 19 and about 2% of deaths are in the younger age group so there can be people who wont want to play. This young player was not practicing at the time as his team's season was cancelled.

If the players can't keep in a bubble though they might not have enough players for 2 deeps.

My take on it now is regardless of how badly everyone wants a season, how do you safely get the players back on the practice field (let alone the game field) to resume practice when your hearing of a different program around the country getting temporarily shutdown on what seems like a daily basis. How does a team like Wisconsin realistically argue for a season to be thrown back together when they aren't going to be able to resume practice for at least two weeks.

I've never played D1 football, but I'd be lying if I wasn't concerned for the safety and well being of the athletes, when players/programs are being shutdown for 2 weeks at a time and then are suddenly expected to immediately pickup where they left off to prepare for an upcoming game. We're not talking about a day or two, we are talking about a few weeks. I simply don't know how a players body can handle two weeks off and then pick right back up without putting their bodies at risk.

Remarkable. How is a guy like that gonna throw the conference under the bus? It isn't the conference's damned fault. It is a handful of member universities that aren't going to play. Franklin needs to learn a lesson about leadership of a small tightly knit group. Never criticize it while the jury is still out. Hell, the jury isn't even impaneled yet. If the rest of the conferences have to cancel by the second week of October, the Big Ten is gonna look pretty smart by comparison. If the other conferences have a full season and can do their own playoff, well, he might as well try to get his resume in at somewhere like Florida or Georgia because the Big Ten will have to live with the consequences of that cancellation and one of them is that the conference will turn into a smoldering carcass for recruiting purposes.

Dear Coach Day: Please plead your case to JB Pritzker and Gov Whitman in Michigan. Shirley, they will listen to you and exert pressure on the member institutions in their states to get the season going. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Pritzker wont let it happen. He is still shutting stuff down across the river from St. Louis.

He will not budge. Consider NW and Illinois absent this season.

Latest posts