Today in How the B1G Football World Turns

Shouldn't the question be are these kids safer at home being college kids or in the hands of these Universities getting medical and regular testing. If the answer is the latter then any potential rare side effect should not matter. If these Universities were so concerned they wouldn't have students on campus.

If 35% is accurate I'm not sure I'd label that rare for a virus that has infected millions.

I would guess that most people who have had asymptomatic/mild COVID have not had MRI's done on their hearts. These players seem to have and it paints a scary picture. I want Hawkeye football as much as anyone but I will not be an advocate for it at that cost.

Agreed. I can say with a straight face that having zero dog in the fight the safety of students as well as student athlete means more to me then what is at stake for the universities. And honestly its a situation in which I have absolutely no say in the matter so safety comes out on top.

If 35% is accurate I'm not sure I'd label that rare for a virus that has infected millions.

I think that 30-35 is probable a little high. That being said, having a serious complication from myocarditis is rare, they think. That's the unknown part that they keep talking about. Isn't this more of a reason that these kids should be in these facilities and being monitored like they are. They are getting better care than anyone else on the planet. If they are able to detect this in the athletes then they are able to treat if needed. If they are at home and get covid nobody is doing these scans on symptomatic or asymptomatic young patients.

Key word 'if'.... How accurate has any number that's been spit out at us during all this been? With all the Asymptomatic people having had it and never been tested along with the false positives having been reported who the hell knows for sure on any of it? Is the death rate still around 1 % from what they do think that they know? If so I'm not anymore scared then I was 8 months ago. Which wasn't very dang much.

Go Hawks and play football!

Unfortunately once this went from a science issue to a political issue, rational thought went out the window and was replaced with emotional nonsense. So its hard to really trust any numbers regardless if they paint a good or bad picture.

I'd like to think I can trust the CDC data which points that overall deaths are way up than their normal rates since the outbreak but the CDC but it is a federal agency. And that means they are under political pressure as well.

Iowa can’t practice until at least Labor Day. It hasn’t had padded practices since December. It will take 5-6 weeks from the time they get back to condition and work up to game shape. Mid-October would be the earliest if they start practicing next week. My guess is the earliest will be Thanksgiving. Ask me tomorrow and I might have a different answer.

Good to see that your staying active. Keep fighting the good fight.

I'm just recalling some of your previous posts talking about fear of attending games, afraid for you family members goi g back to college, afraid for the state of Iowa because of a spike we all knew was coming.

You want something to fear? Look what isolation has done to those who were already mentally vulnerable. Now that's scary.

I won’t likely attend games unless I am comfortable with the safety protocol. That decision will be based on a number of variables down the road. Yeah. I have two grandkids who just started college. When you look at the data in Ames and Iowa City when the kids came back, I think you would be pretty dumb not to be worried. But I did not tell them or their parents that the kids should not to go.

Iowa can’t practice until at least Labor Day. It hasn’t had padded practices since December. It will take 5-6 weeks from the time they get back to condition and work up to game shape. Mid-October would be the earliest if they start practicing next week. My guess is the earliest will be Thanksgiving. Ask me tomorrow and I might have a different answer.

I look at it as a sliding scale. You start practice next week then October 17th is the earliest you could get started. 2 weeks from now and it becomes the 24th.

That is incredibly scary if accurate.

It is definitely concerning. It's not an isolated finding either. There have been reports of increased rates of myocarditis since late April. I am a bit surprised to hear about it in significant numbers of athletes, regardless of what the exact percentages may be.

Last edited:
It is definitely concerning. It's not an isolated finding either. There have been reports of increased rates of myocarditis since late April. I am a bit surprised to hear about it in significant numbers of athletes, regardless of what the exact percentages may be.

The red flag word from the doctor who stated this was "appeared". Doctors and particular radiologist are very conscious about their terminology. It seems this is very inaccurate as I had suspected.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/03/health/penn-state-big-10-myocarditis-covid-spt-trnd/index.html

I would guess that most people who have had asymptomatic/mild COVID have not had MRI's done on their hearts. These players seem to have and it paints a scary picture. I want Hawkeye football as much as anyone but I will not be an advocate for it at that cost.
They've already since debunked that whole report too so there's that...

Unfortunately once this went from a science issue to a political issue, rational thought went out the window and was replaced with emotional nonsense. So its hard to really trust any numbers regardless if they paint a good or bad picture.

I'd like to think I can trust the CDC data which points that overall deaths are way up than their normal rates since the outbreak but the CDC but it is a federal agency. And that means they are under political pressure as well.

Yup we'd like to think so.... My confidence level isn't very high though anymore. It's just not.

OK so the number is 15 percent and the heart muscle inflamed is 30 percent. Guess football is good to go.....

I think that 30-35 is probable a little high. That being said, having a serious complication from myocarditis is rare, they think. That's the unknown part that they keep talking about. Isn't this more of a reason that these kids should be in these facilities and being monitored like they are. They are getting better care than anyone else on the planet. If they are able to detect this in the athletes then they are able to treat if needed. If they are at home and get covid nobody is doing these scans on symptomatic or asymptomatic young patients.

This I totally agree with. By having the athletes on campus they seem to be at a heightened risk of contracting the virus, but have access to much better treatment than they would anywhere else. While I agree that campus is the best place for these athletes, I also have reservations about them competing. The exposure from playing would be no different then engaging other individuals on campus without masks or social distancing. So while common sense would say that since athletes can still practice and train, and are exposed to other individuals on campus then there is no reason they can't play games, I still remain somewhat skeptical.

There's been way too much irresponsibility when it comes to Big Ten Football "news". Part of it is outlets trying to break news, some of it is rogue "reporters" on social media that suck in fans and much of it is the conference completing screwing up communication and being transparent leading to the first two.

There's been way too much irresponsibility when it comes to Big Ten Football "news". Part of it is outlets trying to break news, some of it is rogue "reporters" on social media that suck in fans and much of it is the conference completing screwing up communication and being transparent leading to the first two.
Only "big ten football news"? All media lack any sort or responsibility or repercussion with whats spewed out there. Remember when stories were checked for credibility? neither do I.

I know little about what goes on inside the media circles, but IMO this wouldn't be as much a problem if the Big Ten provided something of substance. When little to no information is released during something as big as this it opens the door for partial stories, speculation and rumors. The Big Ten brought this upon themselves.

Only "big ten football news"? All media lack any sort or responsibility or repercussion with whats spewed out there. Remember when stories were checked for credibility? neither do I.

Meh. Saying ALL MEDIA lacks responsibility and repercussion is a tired trope. SOME consumers also are to blame with their desire to seek out "media" with whom they agree. And don't get me started on people who run with info they read on social media.