Today in How the B1G Football World Turns

It'd be a whole lot worse if it weren't coming back. Which it will.

It's probably a good thing actually to take a break. I know I love spending the entire day watching football and hanging out with buds, but it won't hurt to go without for a while.

When I really think about it, football actually consumed a huge part of my weekends and in some respects it will be nice to have more free time. I'm an early riser, so on pre-COVID Saturdays I'd be on the couch at 6AM watching pregame stuff and prepping food. Once the first kickoff hits I'm watching football non-stop until the last west coast games end at like 11:30. It was a long damn day. Part of it was also that with streaming services you can literally watch any D1 football game because they put up like 12 ESPNs, 2 BTNs, a bunch of Foxs, etc into the guide so you can pick anything you want.

When I was a kid you had maybe 4 games a day to choose from depending on where you lived.

Football does consume a large part of my weekends as well. I've done the 9am-11pm binge many times myself. It was the main reason I backed away from the NFL regular season. Had to take my Sundays back. But I still do love watching Viking and Packer games in a bar full of their diehard fans. In a macabre way watching playoff games Vikings vs Saints in 2009 and GB vs Seahawks in 2014 was about the most fun I've had watching a sporting event.

But I'm sure I'll find a way to occupy my time. It will be nice not having to plan around getting everything done by 11.

I hate to say this, but you started it so I will give my two cents. People like you always talk like this. Then, when this horrible health issue you are anticipating comes to fruition, what happens?

I’ll tell you. You will end up in the hospital for a few days or a week or two on the front end of your health crisis,Maybe that is the extent of it. You will get some treatments and benefits because this country has a system that will allow for that bare minimum to happen. Then you will not be able to pay. You might have run up a $90,000 bill like the other guy mentioned.

And everyone else will pay your bill with higher rates. Congratulations. You never paid anything for insurance and you stuck it to responsible people like many, or most, on this board.

Welll done, sir. Well done.

Don't hate the player.... We all do what's best for us right? So you pay your insurance premium because you think you're being a team player and it's what's 'right'? Child please. That was a calculated risk you took because you felt it was best for you and your family if you have one. So as a single guy that's gone 20 plus yrs without going to a doctor I'm obligated to pay thousands in insurance to pay for all the frequent trips families often have? Or so they can air another however many annoying commercials on tv and radio? Thankfully Obama isn't president anymore and I don't have to since I don't want to... Free country right? I can't tell you to not eat at McDonalds or not drink pop beer or smoke....

What makes you think I can afford however much it is for it to begin with? They'd still stick me with the bill to make payments on if/when that happens. It'd just be another mortgage payment pretty much. It's not some forgivable thing I could escape from. I am employed I do make money. I'm not destitute so they'd come after me and I am well aware of that.

It used to kill me in my twenties when I was single to see Medicare taken out of my paycheck, or to have health taken out. I didnt go near a doctor in those days, didnt even see a dentist for over ten years..

I'm not single anymore.. nor am I still In my twenties. My two oldest have had three surgeries between the two of them. And I paid for my dental neglect. In 2000 I was in a periodontal chair for three hours while he re-routed bone around my last upper molar to make room for a partial crown. The two root canals I've had since then were child's play by comparison.

Only if you want to live your life in fear.

I would have been scared of polio much more had I been alive during the 1950's crisis.

And if you look at CDC charts cases in Iowa are already returning to pre spike levels. They are still high in the college towns and a few rural counties but recoveries continue to outpace growth rates.

What you may not realize is that you can live a life of reasonable caution and still have opportunities to enjoy life. Since March, I have cancelled my annual trip to Florida. Because the Canadian border is closed, my month in Northern Ontario did not happen. So, I substituted a fishing trip in Wisconsin and two trips to MN. Also did a week in the Black Hills And Badlands. In late October, a week of pheasant hunting in SD. Careful family visits. I have friendly neighbors. Church is live streamed. Library Board meetings. Lions Club Board of Directors. No restaurants indoors. Pick up click n go groceries at festival foods. Minimal store visits. Mask as necessary. Social distance as necessary.

So, your assumption that I am cowering in fear is total BS. I know a lot of older folks who are pretty much doing what I do. Suck it up and stay safe. This ain’t about politics, it’s about science.

What you may not realize is that you can live a life of reasonable caution and still have opportunities to enjoy life. Since March, I have cancelled my annual trip to Florida. Because the Canadian border is closed, my month in Northern Ontario did not happen. So, I substituted a fishing trip in Wisconsin and two trips to MN. Also did a week in the Black Hills And Badlands. In late October, a week of pheasant hunting in SD. Careful family visits. I have friendly neighbors. Church is live streamed. Library Board meetings. Lions Club Board of Directors. No restaurants indoors. Pick up click n go groceries at festival foods. Minimal store visits. Mask as necessary. Social distance as necessary.

So, your assumption that I am cowering in fear is total BS. I know a lot of older folks who are pretty much doing what I do. Suck it up and stay safe. This ain’t about politics, it’s about science.
Good to see that your staying active. Keep fighting the good fight.

I'm just recalling some of your previous posts talking about fear of attending games, afraid for you family members goi g back to college, afraid for the state of Iowa because of a spike we all knew was coming.

You want something to fear? Look what isolation has done to those who were already mentally vulnerable. Now that's scary.

I wonder if its mostly big linemen or if its across the board.

300-350 lb linemen know the risk of heart disease if they stay that heavy after their playing days.That's why so many of them, like Marshal Yanda, shed weight as soon as they retire.

Iowa had a center named Derek Rose (not the basketball player) at the end of the Hayden years who didn't even wait that long. He forfeited an NFL shot to go to med school, and get the excess weight off immediately after college.

Rob, it has been reported by medical researchers that Covid-19 SARS-2 virus is found in people's heart muscle, myocardio muscle. These athletes and many other people, some of whom are asymptomatic, are probably having this happen ( we don't know for sure since they are only biopsying dead people I think although I suppose if someone is still alive they could snip a bit of heart tissue if the patient agreed to it).

Any of you can do a Yahoo search on "Covid-19 virus found in children's heart tissue" and see and read a myriad of articles about this big issue. People have no idea what the long term problems are with Covid-19 but those legacy problems are being found.

The Lancet is a very prestigious medical research journal and this search comes up with "
SARS-CoV-2 in cardiac tissue of a child with COVID-19-related multisystem inflammatory syndrome"

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/...vid-19 virus found in children's heart tissue

That is incredibly scary if accurate.

Yeah, read my latest reply to Rob because med researchers have known this for a few weeks if not longer. I think parents of general college students and college athletes who want to have their kids play need to think about this which is maybe having lingering lifetime heart problems.

We have half of power 5 schools not releasing data. PSU showing that nearly 35% of positive cases have heart conditions(for reference the flu CAN do the same, but it’s 0-10% with it being closer to the low end)

How many potential NFL prospects will have their draft stock hurt if they contract this condition ?

let alone the long term future health of these kids by pushing forward with practice / games during a pandemic ?

Rob, it has been reported by medical researchers that Covid-19 SARS-2 virus is found in people's heart muscle, myocardio muscle. These athletes and many other people, some of whom are asymptomatic, are probably having this happen ( we don't know for sure since they are only biopsying dead people I think although I suppose if someone is still alive they could snip a bit of heart tissue if the patient agreed to it).

Any of you can do a Yahoo search on "Covid-19 virus found in children's heart tissue" and see and read a myriad of articles about this big issue. People have no idea what the long term problems are with Covid-19 but those legacy problems are being found.

The Lancet is a very prestigious medical research journal and this search comes up with "
SARS-CoV-2 in cardiac tissue of a child with COVID-19-related multisystem inflammatory syndrome"

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanchi/article/PIIS2352-4642(20)30257-1/fulltextCovid-19 virus found in children's heart tissue
Yeah I have seen a lot of articles about myocarditis resulting from COVID but had no idea it was this high

Good to see that your staying active. Keep fighting the good fight.

I'm just recalling some of your previous posts talking about fear of attending games, afraid for you family members goi g back to college, afraid for the state of Iowa because of a spike we all knew was coming.

You want something to fear? Look what isolation has done to those who were already mentally vulnerable. Now that's scary.
Even scarier are the families getting evicted after people lost their jobs and they were unable to pay rent :(

That is incredibly scary if accurate.

Key word 'if'.... How accurate has any number that's been spit out at us during all this been? With all the Asymptomatic people having had it and never been tested along with the false positives having been reported who the hell knows for sure on any of it? Is the death rate still around 1 % from what they do think that they know? If so I'm not anymore scared then I was 8 months ago. Which wasn't very dang much.

Go Hawks and play football!

We have half of power 5 schools not releasing data. PSU showing that nearly 35% of positive cases have heart conditions(for reference the flu CAN do the same, but it’s 0-10% with it being closer to the low end)

How many potential NFL prospects will have their draft stock hurt if they contract this condition ?

let alone the long term future health of these kids by pushing forward with practice / games during a pandemic ?

I think the relationship between Covid 19 and Myocarditis may have have been one of those "unknown" factors that may have steered the Big Ten to air on the side of caution, as there are so many things that are still relatively unknown. That number scares the hell out of me, not only because of the percentage of athletes that have developed this heart condition but because of the general population that could have developed this condition.

My biggest gripe with the pandemic has been the fact that I think there's too much focus on the fatality rate and not the underlying health conditions that could/can develop down the road. We can all have an opinion of whether the Big Ten made the right/wrong decision, but IMO it fails in comparison to the uproar that will come about if money is the driving factor in the other conferences moving forward with a season if they were aware of that information. There is absolutely no reason that half of the power 5 schools are refusing to release this information.

Shouldn't the question be are these kids safer at home being college kids or in the hands of these Universities getting medical and regular testing. If the answer is the latter then any potential rare side effect should not matter. If these Universities were so concerned they wouldn't have students on campus.

Apparently Michigan just reinstated high school football. They begin on 9/17. If Gov. Whitmer is allowing this, then maybe we should get ready to watch some B1G football in October.

Apparently Michigan just reinstated high school football. They begin on 9/17. If Gov. Whitmer is allowing this, then maybe we should get ready to watch some B1G football in October.

No kidding. All these purple states including Ohio, Pennsylvania now Michigan are having high school football. The college's have kids back on campus. The only reason is political. Which is stupid. The best thing about the Big Ten being so vague and not really given any real reason to cancelling is that now they can pretty much make anything they want up to reverse course.

Key word 'if'.... How accurate has any number that's been spit out at us during all this been? With all the Asymptomatic people having had it and never been tested along with the false positives having been reported who the hell knows for sure on any of it? Is the death rate still around 1 % from what they do think that they know? If so I'm not anymore scared then I was 8 months ago. Which wasn't very dang much.

Go Hawks and play football!
I would guess that most people who have had asymptomatic/mild COVID have not had MRI's done on their hearts. These players seem to have and it paints a scary picture. I want Hawkeye football as much as anyone but I will not be an advocate for it at that cost.

Latest posts