Today in How the B1G Football World Turns

I don't follow you. You might start acting 40.
You replied to the post where I said I was 40.

And no way am I going to act 40. No uncles or grandparents on either side, nor my dad made it farther than 59. I've only got 15-18 years left to go. The whole starting a 401K thing was a stupid idea.

You replied to the post where I said I was 40.

And no way am I going to act 40. No uncles or grandparents on either side, nor my dad made it farther than 59. I've only got 15-18 years left to go. The whole starting a 401K thing was a stupid idea.
I'm 40 as well and I have nooo desire to get to 80 plus. Hell 75ish sounds terrible. I was born with heart issues and high risk for cancer in my family so I always figure one of those will get me in my 50s or 60s. I work for a buddy of mine and don't have health insurance so... I'd rather keep and spend my money how I want rather then give it to insurance companies when I'll probably die about the same time regardless. Insurance is the devil.

I'm 40 as well and I have nooo desire to get to 80 plus. Hell 75ish sounds terrible. I was born with heart issues and high risk for cancer in my family so I always figure one of those will get me in my 50s or 60s. I work for a buddy of mine and don't have health insurance so... I'd rather keep and spend my money how I want rather then give it to insurance companies when I'll probably die about the same time regardless. Insurance is the devil.
I have a high deductible plan and it isn't bad premium-wise. Definitely have to have insurance with a kid. In March he had to have an emergency surgery and spent two weeks in the Sanford Children's Hospital. It was about $90K and cost me $2,500 out of pocket ($1,250 after his mom paid her half).

I have a high deductible plan and it isn't bad premium-wise. Definitely have to have insurance with a kid. In March he had to have an emergency surgery and spent two weeks in the Sanford Children's Hospital. It was about $90K and cost me $2,500 out of pocket ($1,250 after his mom paid her half).
Yeah kids will bleed you dry. Folks about have to have insurance when you have them. I don't have any dependents to worry about so I can roll the dice how I want.

Yeah kids will bleed you dry. Folks about have to have insurance when you have them. I don't have any dependents to worry about so I can roll the dice how I want.
My kid's not too bad to be honest. I carry his insurance and cell phone, and his mom buys his clothes (I don't have a fucking clue about clothes or fashion). Everything else is pretty much split informally. Like for football this year I bought his cleats, she bought his gloves and paid the $30 for his athletic physical. For me it's worth the expense, I definitely wouldn't enjoy life as much without him.

Now what I don't understand is how people can do it with three or four kids. I can't even fathom having to buy 12 pairs of jeans every school season or 4 pairs of shoes, and keeping up with sports and activity expenses. Those people who do that are nuts.

My kid's not too bad to be honest. I carry his insurance and cell phone, and his mom buys his clothes (I don't have a fucking clue about clothes or fashion). Everything else is pretty much split informally. Like for football this year I bought his cleats, she bought his gloves and paid the $30 for his athletic physical. For me it's worth the expense, I definitely wouldn't enjoy life as much without him.

Now what I don't understand is how people can do it with three or four kids. I can't even fathom having to buy 12 pairs of jeans every school season or 4 pairs of shoes, and keeping up with sports and activity expenses. Those people who do that are nuts.

I was close to a set of cousins of mine growing up and their were 4 of them within 8 yrs of each other. My aunt lived in the laundry room and kitchen. Coin flip as to which room she spent more time in. When they were about to become empty nesters I asked her what she was going to do with all the time she had. They had her on the go non stop all were active in sports and activities up the yin yang. 2 boys 2 girls. No idea how they did it. Not a clue.

Stop trying to live up to impossible beauty standards. You could be in the SI Swimsuit issue next year.
Who really gives a shit though?

Christ almighty, folks. The majority of you are 55 year old fat men losing your goddamn minds because you might not get to watch an 18 year old kid try to run really fast with a ball. The world’s gonna keep on going round the sun whether you get to watch kids a third of your age play a dumb game or not. If your life and mental health crumbles because you didn’t get to watch a bunch of kids play a super-glorified version of recess two hand touch then you should probably just walk out on the interstate. Get a fucking grip and stop your “my world is gonna end what do I do I can’t fucking take it” bullshit for Dog’s sake.

What a bunch of wet blanket, no perspective-having jellyfish some of you are. You have no concept of what real life is, and you’ll be the first ones dead when the power finally goes out for good and you can’t get your Starbucks or check your Facebook page anymore.

I would love to see the hawks playing this fall but if it doesnt happen I can get a needed dose of hawk action since 1980 via You Tube or maybe BTN etc. I love those memories and saw most every game at kinnick in those 40 years. Love the away game replays of course. Watch some of those videos when you are really having the withdrawal.

Sometimes you just have to fill in the time with some new activities and old activities like working in the yard and around the house, in and outside. But hell buy a bike or just go for some nice walks. Saturday around noon take a nice drive to a county or state park and look at some nature. It has been a so so year for golfers like me so Saturday afternoons in the fall will be a great time to play 18 holes and then hit the 19th hole.

I will have practically no problem filling almost all of the void of no hawk football.

I would love to see the hawks playing this fall but if it doesnt happen I can get a needed dose of hawk action since 1980 via You Tube or maybe BTN etc. I love those memories and saw most every game at kinnick in those 40 years. Love the away game replays of course. Watch some of those videos when you are really having the withdrawal.

Sometimes you just have to fill in the time with some new activities and old activities like working in the yard and around the house, in and outside. But hell buy a bike or just go for some nice walks. Saturday around noon take a nice drive to a county or state park and look at some nature. It has been a so so year for golfers like me so Saturday afternoons in the fall will be a great time to play 18 holes and then hit the 19th hole.

I will have practically no problem filling almost all of the void of no hawk football.

College football and crisp fall Saturdays go hand in hand and it will be weird making that adjustment. I'll miss getting together with friends on game days and flipping each other shit. Particularly those early season games when we all expect our teams to win but one or more of us has to sweat it out while the others take pleasure.

Come noon or so on Saturday I'll have a lot more free time but the odds of me being in a good mood will be far greater. And there will not be a Saturday if which 5:30 rolls around and I say, "Damn, I should make it outside for at least a few minutes today while the sun is still out.

College football and crisp fall Saturdays go hand in hand and it will be weird making that adjustment. I'll miss getting together with friends on game days and flipping each other shit. Particularly those early season games when we all expect our teams to win but one or more of us has to sweat it out while the others take pleasure.

Come noon or so on Saturday I'll have a lot more free time but the odds of me being in a good mood will be far greater. And there will not be a Saturday if which 5:30 rolls around and I say, "Damn, I should make it outside for at least a few minutes today while the sun is still out.
It'd be a whole lot worse if it weren't coming back. Which it will.

It's probably a good thing actually to take a break. I know I love spending the entire day watching football and hanging out with buds, but it won't hurt to go without for a while.

When I really think about it, football actually consumed a huge part of my weekends and in some respects it will be nice to have more free time. I'm an early riser, so on pre-COVID Saturdays I'd be on the couch at 6AM watching pregame stuff and prepping food. Once the first kickoff hits I'm watching football non-stop until the last west coast games end at like 11:30. It was a long damn day. Part of it was also that with streaming services you can literally watch any D1 football game because they put up like 12 ESPNs, 2 BTNs, a bunch of Foxs, etc into the guide so you can pick anything you want.

When I was a kid you had maybe 4 games a day to choose from depending on where you lived.

Where did the 8-6 vote come from? The deciding factor was 11-3 by the presidents, who call the shots, as they should.

Correct. Dan's sources said that it was an 8-6 per his report. That's where he was wrong. Collectively he has been on par with everything else.

Who really gives a shit though?

Christ almighty, folks. The majority of you are 55 year old fat men losing your goddamn minds because you might not get to watch an 18 year old kid try to run really fast with a ball. The world’s gonna keep on going round the sun whether you get to watch kids a third of your age play a dumb game or not. If your life and mental health crumbles because you didn’t get to watch a bunch of kids play a super-glorified version of recess two hand touch then you should probably just walk out on the interstate. Get a fucking grip and stop your “my world is gonna end what do I do I can’t fucking take it” bullshit for Dog’s sake.

What a bunch of wet blanket, no perspective-having jellyfish some of you are. You have no concept of what real life is, and you’ll be the first ones dead when the power finally goes out for good and you can’t get your Starbucks or check your Facebook page anymore.
Don't typecast me.

I turn 55 next week and am already fat.

:)

You may want to check out the latest news on the Covid spread in Iowa. Very scary. Conspiracy theorists, don’t bother.
Only if you want to live your life in fear.

I would have been scared of polio much more had I been alive during the 1950's crisis.

And if you look at CDC charts cases in Iowa are already returning to pre spike levels. They are still high in the college towns and a few rural counties but recoveries continue to outpace growth rates.

I hate to say this, but you started it so I will give my two cents. People like you always talk like this. Then, when this horrible health issue you are anticipating comes to fruition, what happens?

I’ll tell you. You will end up in the hospital for a few days or a week or two on the front end of your health crisis,Maybe that is the extent of it. You will get some treatments and benefits because this country has a system that will allow for that bare minimum to happen. Then you will not be able to pay. You might have run up a $90,000 bill like the other guy mentioned.

And everyone else will pay your bill with higher rates. Congratulations. You never paid anything for insurance and you stuck it to responsible people like many, or most, on this board.

Welll done, sir. Well done.

Latest posts