Time to go “small”

NikeHawk21

It’s time to go small. The spacing on offense is awful with the posts playing so many minutes and the foot speed on defense is also killing us. Here’s what I think.

1. JBo 30 Min / Cmac 10 Min
2. Moss 25 Min / MD 10 Min / JBo 5 Min
3. Baer 25 Min / Nunge 8 Min / MD 7 Min
4. Nunge 15 Min / Pemsl 15 Min / Wagner 10
5. Cook 28 Min / Garza 12 Min

To be honest that’s not even that “small” of a lineup actually, but what is nice is we will always have at least three 3pt threats on the court. Ball handling and defensive speed would also improve.

It’s time to go small. The spacing on offense is awful with the posts playing so many minutes and the foot speed on defense is also killing us. Here’s what I think.

1. JBo 30 Min / Cmac 10 Min
2. Moss 25 Min / MD 10 Min / JBo 5 Min
3. Baer 25 Min / Nunge 8 Min / MD 7 Min
4. Nunge 15 Min / Pemsl 15 Min / Wagner 10
5. Cook 28 Min / Garza 12 Min

To be honest that’s not even that “small” of a lineup actually, but what is nice is we will always have at least three 3pt threats on the court. Ball handling and defensive speed would also improve.

I like the idea of playing small. Unfortunately, the roster that has been recruited is big (and slow).

I like the idea of playing small. Unfortunately, the roster that has been recruited is big (and slow).
With the players we do have I still think we can manage our minutes better. More minutes are needed for Dailey and Nunge and I personally think much less for Garza (way too slow and not strong enough yet) and probably taking Kriener out of the rotation altogether.

With the players we do have I still think we can manage our minutes better. More minutes are needed for Dailey and Nunge and I personally think much less for Garza (way too slow and not strong enough yet) and probably taking Kriener out of the rotation altogether.

I think Dailey shows some promise, but if he was a difference maker, he would have stood out more so far. Moss has shown that at times (not last night), so the potential is there. I am not sure Dailey has that potential. However, I don't see the harm in finding out (especially with Connor being out).

I wouldn't panic yet. I think Fran is still trying to find the mix/match of players and rotations. Unfortunately this happens early on in seasons when have such a big rotation. This doesn't help Iowa's RPI or whatever as they've dropped some winnable games vs lesser competition and now have to kick butt in conference play to stay above the bubble come selection time.

IMO, I am fine with any line up Fran wants to roll out - I just want the majority of the minutes to go to Jordan, Moss, Cook, Baer, Nunge, Garza and Pemsl. Sprinkle in Kriener, BE Wagner, MD, CMAC when he's back but again, just IMO - there shouldn't ever be a time when Jordan, Baer and Cook are all sitting at the same time. There shouldn't be this 2nd line that has been there.... there is nothing worse then watching our starters play the first 5 minutes and watch them all sit at the same time til after 10 minutes while Brady, Nunge, Kreiner, MD and whoever else try to work it out. It doesn't seem fair to not have at LEAST one floor type general on the court at all times who doesn't get rattled every time there's pressure on the ball.

As long as we're going small, let's pull the band-aid off real fast. Start with some walk-ons until they filter out the scholarship guys . . .

images

IMO, I am fine with any line up Fran wants to roll out - I just want the majority of the minutes to go to Jordan, Moss, Cook, Baer, Nunge, Garza and Pemsl. Sprinkle in Kriener, BE Wagner, MD, CMAC when he's back but again, just IMO - there shouldn't ever be a time when Jordan, Baer and Cook are all sitting at the same time. There shouldn't be this 2nd line that has been there.... there is nothing worse then watching our starters play the first 5 minutes and watch them all sit at the same time til after 10 minutes while Brady, Nunge, Kreiner, MD and whoever else try to work it out. It doesn't seem fair to not have at LEAST one floor type general on the court at all times who doesn't get rattled every time there's pressure on the ball.
First off I want to congratulate you on correct usage of the word ROLL. ;)

I guess where I disagree with you is that although they may be in our top 7 players, I don’t think we can afford to play Garza and Pemsl top 7 minutes if Cook is already going to play 25-30 minutes. Simply put I would cut both of those guys minutes, and Kriener’s minutes altogether to give more minutes to Dailey and Nunge.

The issue is how to force the opponent to play your game. We were not any quicker last year, we won't be any quicker this year, and we seemingly aren't adding any quickness next year. We need to make teams play against our LENGTH. Not just blow by our slower players. Make them struggle with passing lanes against our length, or breaking a press with our length.

Maybe some ways to maximize our advantage which is length.

1) Ditch the Man v Man. I know this isn't done much, and I really hate doing it, but we simply can't stay in front of our man, and we defend on ball screens like garbage.
2) Mix in more gimmick defenses. Iowa tried out the 1-3-1 zone in the Caymen Islands, expand on that. Put Nunge at the top, or Wagner, or Baer creating tougher passing lanes, etc.
3) Press all game long. You don't always have to turn the pressure up to 1000% on the press, just make them take longer bringing the ball up the court. This way they have less time to pass the ball around on our zone D looking for open shots. If we only have to guard 15-20 seconds in the zone, it helps minimize the open looks the opponent will get.

I don't think we want to go "small" when our small really isn't that small, and we are still not as quick at anyone else even with our "small" lineup.

All we have to do is get Garza and Nunge chasing chickens (ala Rocky) an hour a day and thy would be plenty quick! :)

The issue is how to force the opponent to play your game. We were not any quicker last year, we won't be any quicker this year, and we seemingly aren't adding any quickness next year. We need to make teams play against our LENGTH. Not just blow by our slower players. Make them struggle with passing lanes against our length, or breaking a press with our length.

1) Ditch the Man v Man. I know this isn't done much, and I really hate doing it, but we simply can't stay in front of our man, and we defend on ball screens like garbage.
2) Mix in more gimmick defenses. Iowa tried out the 1-3-1 zone in the Caymen Islands, expand on that. Put Nunge at the top, or Wagner, or Baer creating tougher passing lanes, etc.
3) Press all game long. You don't always have to turn the pressure up to 1000% on the press, just make them take longer bringing the ball up the court. This way they have less time to pass the ball around on our zone D looking for open shots. If we only have to guard 15-20 seconds in the zone, it helps minimize the open looks the opponent will get.

I don't think we want to go "small" when our small really isn't that small, and we are still not as quick at anyone else even with our "small" lineup.

I actually agree with this. We are going to be slow all year and it's only going to get worse so we have to take advantage of the thing we do have and that's length.

First off the going small thing is more about a free flowing offense, but again, we still would have a good amount of length. I never said we wouldn’t zone and press, actually Baer and Nunge are two of are top guys defensively in the zone and presses. If you want to zone and press not only do you need length but you also need speed to recover or cover ground, with all the bigs we are playing right now I’m not sure we have that.

The reason our team is so much less athletic than last years team right now is because we are playing slow footed bigs Garza, Kriener, and Pemsl a lot more minutes. Think about it this way, Nunge at the 3, below average athletically, Nunge at the 4 above average athletically. Wagner at the 3, probably average, at the 4 well above average athletically. Right now Nunge and Wagner are primarily playing the 3, where I’m saying they should be playing the 4.

Now I am in no way saying these changes would make us some athletic juggernaut, we’d still be at best average athletically. But I think they would allow us to play more 3pt shooters, give more minutes to ball handlers (hopefully less turnovers), give our best player Cook more room to operate, and give us more foot speed while still keeping plenty of length to play our press and zone defenses.

It really shouldn’t even say going small, I’m saying more minutes for 6’7 Dailey on the wing and 6’11 Nunge in the post, and less minutes for Kriener and Garza. We’d still be pretty long 2-5.

2. 6’5 Moss / 6’7 Dailey
3. 6’7 Baer / 6’7 Dailey / 6’11 Nunge
4. 6’11 Nunge / 6’8 Pemsl / 6’7 Wagner
5. 6’9 Cook / 6’11 Garza

First off I want to congratulate you on correct usage of the word ROLL. ;)

I guess where I disagree with you is that although they may be in our top 7 players, I don’t think we can afford to play Garza and Pemsl top 7 minutes if Cook is already going to play 25-30 minutes. Simply put I would cut both of those guys minutes, and Kriener’s minutes altogether to give more minutes to Dailey and Nunge.

baby steps to grammar

Does Nunge have a post game? Seems like he's been happy to float around outside and just crash inside for an offensive board once a shot goes up. I'd like to see him get post touches like Garza has gotten. He's our mismatch nightmare. Even at the high post get him touches there where he can pivot and make a decision from there what to do.

Bump.

Well as I said two weeks ago this would work and it did tonight with the frontline of Cook/Nunge. Problem was Fran played too many guys and in the 2H and Cook and others could never get in a rhythm.

Bump.

Well as I said two weeks ago this would work and it did tonight with the frontline of Cook/Nunge. Problem was Fran played too many guys and in the 2H and Cook and others could never get in a rhythm.

Going small isn't going to help. Our guards simply aren't close to as good as other teams guards. You see other teams actually use scholarships on guards, and have many of them on the roster. Fran like to have 4 guards only, I mean we need to make sure we have plenty of PF's and C's.

Going small isn't going to help. Our guards simply aren't close to as good as other teams guards. You see other teams actually use scholarships on guards, and have many of them on the roster. Fran like to have 4 guards only, I mean we need to make sure we have plenty of PF's and C's.
We “downsized” by moving Nunge to the post with Cook, which was the premise of this thread, and we played much better because of it. Also we made 11 threes because of the amount of minutes we gave to our guards....

We “downsized” by moving Nunge to the post with Cook, which was the premise of this thread, and we played much better because of it. Also we made 11 threes because of the amount of minutes we gave to our guards....

We went 11-36 from 3, that is NOT good. We turned the ball over 18 times, 8 by our guards, that isn't good either.

Our guards aren't up to snuff at all compared to other teams guards. Ellingson 3-11, Moss 2-8, that isn't good guard play. We tried to match ISU 3 guards with our 4 guards and we got smoked by them.

Their 3 guards vs our 4 guards
Outscored us 51-36
out assisted us 12-7
out shot us 18-41 (44%) to 14-36 (39%)

Latest posts