Iowa QB Situation Remains Mystery

Leave it to KF to overcomplicate what seems obvious to literally everyone else... It just sucks the move hadn't already been made. Imagine if Sullivan had been taking all the 1st team reps since August.. They wasted so much time and practice reps getting him coached up on Lesters O and timing with teammates.

Not a Kirk apologist and I also believe Sullivan should get the chance to start this week - BUT, we have seen Sullivan make a couple of really poor decisions when things break down. He's made some ill-advised attempts to throw a pass when he should secure it and eat the loss, etc. I'm hopeful that part of that was due to the fact that he was pressing because he felt he had to make a play while he was in the game because he likely wouldn't get in again for some time. Perhaps if he knows that he is the starter for the entire game, that desperation won't be as great. If you've been around this team for any time, you saw something similar with Stanzi/Christianson and Beathard/Rudock. One was the slow but stable "smart" quarterback and the other was a loose cannon (if you were to listen to the coaching staff). But those loose cannons are gamers. They give the extra effort like throwing a block downfield after completing a pass. Looking forward to at least seeing what he brings to the table.

One concern with a running QB is he will slowly get banged up if not completely knocked out with an injury. So if Sullivan takes over full time, you will still need a backup ready to go, which is a role that Cade can fill.

Looking ahead to next year, if Sullivan is the starter, it might be interesting to have another running QB back him up. Lianez can probably fill that role as backup, and could even be used to relieve Sullivan in certain spots, the same way the backup RB's are used now to relieve Kaleb Johnson.

Not a Kirk apologist and I also believe Sullivan should get the chance to start this week - BUT, we have seen Sullivan make a couple of really poor decisions when things break down. He's made some ill-advised attempts to throw a pass when he should secure it and eat the loss, etc. I'm hopeful that part of that was due to the fact that he was pressing because he felt he had to make a play while he was in the game because he likely wouldn't get in again for some time. Perhaps if he knows that he is the starter for the entire game, that desperation won't be as great. If you've been around this team for any time, you saw something similar with Stanzi/Christianson and Beathard/Rudock. One was the slow but stable "smart" quarterback and the other was a loose cannon (if you were to listen to the coaching staff). But those loose cannons are gamers. They give the extra effort like throwing a block downfield after completing a pass. Looking forward to at least seeing what he brings to the table.
I have some thoughts on your post...

1) Sullivan's QB skills aren't the best thing he brings to this team. How people can't get that through their heads is baffling.

Brendan Sullivan opens the field up and completely changes defenses' plans and abilities. You heard it from Kaleb Johnson's mouth in the post game...they asked him what changed from the time he was getting devoured in an 8 man box to the time he ran for over 10 yards and 3 TDs and he answered that the field was more open, lineman could block one on one, and he had holes open up where he could get to the next level and use his feet. Johnson is the best player on this team by light years. But if he doesn't have anywhere to run what do you want him to do??? Sullivan allows him the space to get where he can use his skills instead of collapsing 3 yards behind the LOS because teams know CM can't make even simple passes once he gets pressured.

Cade McNamara checks his first read, if it's not there the pocket is by then collapsing and he has two choices, neither of which is good. a. turtle up and bear hug that ball so you don't fumble it when you inevitably get sacked, or 2. make a really dumb throw into man coverage. Which is double bad because he struggles to even hit wide open receivers when he's not pressured.

How can you think about a couple ill-advised passes and not give even a little bit of credence to the way his being out their allows our best player to do his job?

B) Sullivan electrifies this team and electrifies Kinnick. You know how many years since Ricky/Drew/CJ we've had QBs who soiled their underoos at the first sign of "oh shit?" You could see it on the team when he came in and started turning sacks into 7 yard gains, throwing blocks out in FRONT of the ball carrier, chirping the other team when he got trucked out of bounds...the rest of the team was juiced and it changed the whole environment in that stadium, both on the field and in the stands. It was a total breath of fresh air and felt like the good old days when we had badasses for quarterbacks.

Those are things the trinity of RDC did when they were here and it's what this team needs. CJ Beathard in 2016 was completely beat to shit and running on pure adrenaline by the end of the year but he never once got scared and he just kept on taking the punishment and putting yards in the book.

We need moxie. We need another Rick/Drew/CJ. QBs who are really nice guys, super smart, and great locker room dudes aren't enough. Nate, Spencer, and Cade are great guys and good leaders I have no doubt. But they don't have that dawg in 'em. WE NEED A DAWG. Period.

When it comes to quarterbacks and other true leaders of teams, ask your self this...which group would you rather go into armed, real-life military combat with??? Actual bullets flying and bombs exploding...

Are you going in there with Rudock, Nate, Petras, and McNamara, or are you going int with Drew, Ricky, CJ, and Sullivan?

I'm not asking you who you want to be your son's football coach or marry your daughter, or manage your retirement investments...I'm asking which of those two groups are you gonna go to war with and try to survive? Stats or not there's your answer.